IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

On 4/4/2020 at 3:24 AM, Blackmorec said:

My system started with a Zenith MkII SE where I tried a few connection solutions, including several USB cables and an SoTM TX-USBUltra with sPS-500.  

Hello @Blackmorec I am currently using a MKII SE with the SOtM tX-USBultra/Uptone LPS 1.2. You seem to have gone from something similar to the Phoenix. The Phoenix is not a cheap upgrade. How would you describe that jump?

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

Appreciate the feedback @ken6217  I like the idea of the 1 box solution and the Sean Jacobs PSU's.

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Hiker said:

I found with some exceptional recordings , just a quick example ripped CDs of Tonian Labs Drums and Bells along with XLOs FORS Master Sound recording of Belanger & Bisson is eye popping for a lack of a better phrase, so realistic sounding I never heard before , not with my system not until the Innuos Zenith server and Phoenix were introduced into my home. Love it. 

Thanks @Hiker. will check those recommendations out

3 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

That's what I hoped and what my wallet feared 😉

Brutal hobby Alan.

Since I was so impressed by the Phoenix I had to order an AQ Hurricane PC for it. One of the best bang for your buck power cord's out there (and I have Shunyata, Triode Wire Labs, Nordost, Wireworld, PS Audio). Every improvement leads to more spending

The pain never ends

Zenith has never been USB only as far as I know. Also has a Ethernet streamer out

On 6/1/2020 at 5:53 PM, FrankMA said:

I received the Phoenix USB last Sat. Swapped out a tX-USBultra (9v)/Uptone LPS 1.2 for the Phoenix. Had a bit of a handshake issue but a reboot of DAC/Server/Phoenix solved it. Using Phasure Lush I & II USB cables and an older Wireworld Aurora III for a PC.

After burning in for 48 hours here are my initial impressions:

• Larger and deeper soundstage
  • A few levels of high frequency glare removed
  • while at the same time adding a shimmer. In a good way. Really notice the delicacy/accuracy of the cymbals

It's early but so far I'm happy and will try to get 100-200 hours on it before critically listening again. And at some point reverting back to the tX for comparison

Promising

At about 250 hours I switched back to the tX after extended listening to the Phoenix. Whoa. Less dynamic. Constricted soundstage. Duller.

Back to the Phoenix for good. The other things I noticed in addition to my initial observations was it seems quieter/less noise. Blacker backgrounds. Separation of instruments.  Really nice upgrade

I also changed out the older Wireworld for a Triode Wire Labs which improved the tonal balance quite a bit

I am having a bit of trouble with my Lush II cable after the Phoenix. Can't seem to get it to work unless it's before (MKII>Phoenix). Thought the Phoenix had the 5v. Or maybe it's something else. Would the Lush II config have a bearing on this (IE config that bypasses the 5v)?

IMG_1258.jpeg

Unfortunately this is the only comparison I can make. Other than the tX with the supplied PS which is inferior to the Uptone. You are probably right but the PH's are significantly more costly and should sound better

I do have a Farad Super 3 on the way for the ER but it is 7V

Either way the Phoenix blows away the tX/Uptone combo. O course at double the cost as well

14 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Trigger pulled 😀

Looking forward to hearing this bad boy myself.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions Al

On 6/13/2020 at 7:39 AM, FrankMA said:

At about 250 hours I switched back to the tX after extended listening to the Phoenix. Whoa. Less dynamic. Constricted soundstage. Duller.

Back to the Phoenix for good. The other things I noticed in addition to my initial observations was it seems quieter/less noise. Blacker backgrounds. Separation of instruments.  Really nice upgrade

I also changed out the older Wireworld for a Triode Wire Labs which improved the tonal balance quite a bit

I am having a bit of trouble with my Lush II cable after the Phoenix. Can't seem to get it to work unless it's before (MKII>Phoenix). Thought the Phoenix had the 5v. Or maybe it's something else. Would the Lush II config have a bearing on this (IE config that bypasses the 5v)?

IMG_1258.jpeg

I finally did get the Lush 2 to work from Phoenix to DAC. Numerous reboots. Needed a longer cable to accommodate the Phoenix's new location so I ordered a 2nd Lush 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan

I love the Lush 2's paired with the Phoenix. I am really averse to thin or overly bright sounding systems and in this regard the Phasure's fit the bill in my system. In this regard they remind me of AQ cables: Full, musical, balanced. 

Add in the tuning capabilities of the Lush 2 and I think it's a winner

Not to say there aren't other great cables out there but I think at this price point the Lush's would be hard to beat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kenny - temporary I'm sure and your bar may be higher :D

Hi AL - I have a SR Blue in the SE: Small (5x20mm) 3.15A 250v Slo-Blow. No issues

I'll be curious on the Phoenix as well

• 3 months later...

Hello - I am enjoying the Phasure Lush 2 in/out of the Phoenix

3 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

For me it's Sablon and no looking back. The Sablon 2020 USB in and out of the Phoenix and the LAN from ER to Zenith.

Hi Alan. I am using the Sablon 2020 LAN ER to Phoenix. Very nice cable and upgrade. Might be worth trying one of their USB's - maybe in combination with the Lush.

Question about power cords on the Phoenix. Recently upgrading it to an AQ Hurricane Source. Starting thinking I may have made a mistake not getting a high power version.

Any thoughts on this based on what the Phoenix is doing schematically?

4 hours ago, thyname said:

You certainly do NOT need an HC version for PhoenixUSB 

Thanks @thyname I knew that but started to think about those Sean Jacobs PS's.....