IGNORED

Windows 10 vs Windows Server 2016/19

dminches

Is it still the case with AO 3.0 that Windows Server 2016/19 sounds better than Windows 10?  I am asking because I am having difficulties finding drivers for my ethernet adapter and GeForce video card that work in Windows Server.  I would like to stick with WS but the driver availability is an issue.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I decided to upgrade to WS 2019 which helped with driver compatibility.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

What issues did you have on Server 2016 with the NVIDIA driver? Or where you on 2012 R2? I am using an 1050Ti on a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V Server since quite some time. I use the same driver for it like i do for my 1080Ti SLI setup on my work machine.

Windows 10 is by far the worst sounding OS which is supported by AO. Even Windows Server 2012 R2 will blow Windows 10 out of the water very easily.

Chosing 2019 was the right decisino. You'll about get the sound quality of Windows Server 2016 in Core in Windows Server 2019 GUI mode! This means no hassle with core et all and still get absolutely astonishing sound quality incl. the ease of a GUI.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Sometimes its a bit of a hit and miss yes.. regarding the chipset, many components are not needed either way and can easiy be disabled.

for the network cards it's almost always possible to use a driver which was made for a slightly different card/OS and it will install and work just fine.  you need to google a bit and will find a way for sure!

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

On 9/27/2019 at 4:55 PM, dminches said:

I cannot find an Ethernet controller driver.

Your Asus Prime Z390-A has an Intel I219V ethernet.  So on this page you can download the driver for Windows Server 2019.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28396/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-?product=82187

Have you already tried it?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, rickca said:

Your Asus Prime Z390-A has an Intel I219V ethernet.  So on this page you can download the driver for Windows Server 2019.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28396/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-?product=82187

Have you already tried it?

Yes.  It wouldn’t install.  It said it wasn’t supposed under Windows Server 2019.

11 hours ago, rickca said:

Hmm, OK.  That was easy to find so I figured you probably had already tried it.  You may want to give this a shot, apparently it works on WS2019 as well.

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2017/06/19/installing-intel-i211-i217v-i218v-i219v-drivers-windows-server-2016-eufi-boot/

I will give that a try.  I have even gone as far as editing the .inf file for the card to include WS 2019 but that didn’t work either.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:49 AM, rickca said:

Hmm, OK.  That was easy to find so I figured you probably had already tried it.  You may want to give this a shot, apparently it works on WS2019 as well.

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2017/06/19/installing-intel-i211-i217v-i218v-i219v-drivers-windows-server-2016-eufi-boot/

Thanks a lot! I have an ASRock Z390M-itx/ac with two Intel ethernet ports and was fighting with the Windows Server 2019 installation since yesterday. I even installed Windows 10 to see if these Intel NICs work at all. The link posted by rickca helped me very much. I had to press the F8 key and chose "Disable the Driver Signature...." before installing the drivers. Now everything works but I run out of the five activation keys.. lol 🙂

IMG_20191029_143538.jpg

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

24 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Thanks a lot! I have an ASRock Z390M-itx/ac with two Intel ethernet ports and was fighting with the Windows Server 2019 installation since yesterday. I even installed Windows 10 to see if these Intel NICs work at all. The link posted by rickca helped me very much. I had to press the F8 key and chose "Disable the Driver Signature...." before installing the drivers. Now everything works but I run out of the five activation keys.. lol 🙂

IMG_20191029_143538.jpg

The "DriverHelper" as well as the "Install HD-Audio Drivers" features of ServiceTool might be of GREAT value for you! ;)

1 hour ago, AudioPhil said:

The "DriverHelper" as well as the "Install HD-Audio Drivers" features of ServiceTool might be of GREAT value for you! ;)

No doubt about their value but with these Intel NICs I was almost about to give up. 😳

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

On 9/27/2019 at 3:17 PM, AudioPhil said:

Windows 10 is by far the worst sounding OS which is supported by AO. Even Windows Server 2012 R2 will blow Windows 10 out of the water very easily....

...You'll about get the sound quality of Windows Server 2016 in Core in Windows Server 2019 GUI mode! This means no hassle with core et all and still get absolutely astonishing sound quality incl. the ease of a GUI.

Do you see any difference between 2019 Standard and Essentials?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

The licensing and pricing.

But in terms of SQ, both are identical IF you use ServiceTool's "Prepare Essentials" Feature 👍🏼