IGNORED

Motherboard DACs

High end motherboards are including an ESS Sabre 9218 DAC with WIMA capacitors, for example https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10

Can these things ever deliver sound quality competitive with an outboard USB DAC or even something like the EVGA Nu Audio card?  How do such motherboard DACs get their input?  Obviously, it isn't USB.  I really wonder about the quality of power and clocking with such DACs.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Target audience for MB/soundcard is a gamer.  +1200w PSU, liquid cooling, RGB everything, overclocked everything... as near opposite a fanless audio only computer as possible to construct.  Basic aim is stability during extended periods of maximum load. Then adding MCH audio or powering headphones.  

When I asked @amir57bs if he planned on testing any more of this type of equipment.  It was with an eye towards seeing how it actually operated in an isolated environment.  Despite being engineered to survive use nearer that mentioned above.  

There is a market for these devices against lower end Schitt products etc.  Reality is the roadmap leads towards MCH home theater PC interests being better served.  With an audiophile CEO doing as much to preserve audio quality as possible. 

Who knows, something might sneak through aimed at "gamers" using a (not overclockable) processor lacking onboard video and external DAC that just so happens to be loaded with large high quality caps.

This is some sort of Realtek ALC 1220 of Asus Z370-i motherboard.

I think this is pretty good for motherboard analog audio output.
Summary.png.0fad9f282f50f77ebaa3b07c85c1acca.png

RMAA result. Click image to enlarge.

AsusZ370i.thumb.png.cff91ce33b5c536e2324144e589470ef.png

Measurement setup.

MeasurementSetupa.thumb.png.77d40e92b673163e086dd65e5884b529.png

+0dBFS 1kHz sine wave output. Frequency is accurate. Output voltage is 2.2V RMS.

Sine.jpg.1b48a0e25c7fd726e5ecaa065ee7e645.jpg

Analog reconstruction filter is brick-wall linear-phase.

Impulse.jpg.9b5d91bf52b506e7e6d52cd1538733e4.jpg

It seems high frequency noise is well suppressed.

Spectrum.jpg.f7a51c6c484d487ad5a1a8937da93c37.jpg

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

On 7/8/2019 at 5:22 PM, rickca said:

How do such motherboard DACs get their input?  Obviously, it isn't USB. 

Rick, I would not be too sure about that. The EVGA you mentioned is also based upon USB.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

In a typical PC, one of the main chips includes a High Definition Audio (HDA) controller accessed over PCIe (PCI in older designs). There are also HDA controllers available as separate chips, also using PCIe, from e.g. Cmedia. The driver programming model is defined in the HDA specification. This part is somewhat analogous to the EHCI specification for USB controllers.

The HDA controller interfaces with an external codec (DAC and ADC) chip over an HDA link. This is a bidirectional synchronous serial interface carrying multiplexed command/response and data streams in a fixed-length frame structure. Comparing to the DAC chips we are familiar with, the HDA link combines the functionality of the I2C and I2S links commonly used.

9 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Rick, I would not be too sure about that. The EVGA you mentioned is also based upon USB.

I know the EVGA Nu Audio uses USB (ASMedia) but it's an add-in card, not a motherboard DAC.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, rickca said:

I know the EVGA Nu Audio uses USB (ASMedia) but it's an add-in card, not a motherboard DAC.

Yes, I know.

Found out how the Asus works already ? However, notice that I never had a MoBo like that in my hands. With that it would be relatively easy. All I know is that wherever I look, it is a "secret". Probably the reason that you ask.

Anyway I thought you gave the example of the EVGA as being a good sound card. Maybe it sounds good, but I personally like to avoid USB (for reasons of course).

There is way (way) too much around which uses USB, just because it is readily available, while otherwise the license of CMedia or whatever is needed. And the modern CMedia is no good either (also for my good reasons).

Maybe I'm wrong.

Btw, for me it wouldn't be about the DAC (chip). I'll stick my own on it. It is about the interface.

You don't need a MoBo "DAC" for a direct interface with PCIe. That can just as well be a sound card. PCIe is everywhere these days.

I hope I make sense ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)