Not to mention the majors releases are incredibly safe choices in both playing and selected works.  An arrangement which allows world class performers to work with world class orchestras commissioning new works and innovating outside the contracted recording environment.  Encourages it in fact.  In at least this regard it shows mature thinking towards grooming and engaging young musicians.  Allows them to be heard on well received recordings without the behemoth labels dictating.

I'd like to point out how refreshing it is to have a discussion on international communication with English speakers.  Western pop music culture is highly insular and dominant among users of it as their only language.  To the point characters or letters in other languages are often displayed as incomprehensible punctuation symbols in players/devices.  Change would have to be wholesale and widespread.  Preparing fonts and spacings alone for a truly international distribution would be a massive undertaking.  This is centuries beyond the interest of all but a few in the US.  Perhaps the old world or other parts of the Americas would struggle less with the concept.  

Yes indeed especially as not all languages use the Latin alphabet.  I have mentioned in this thread that I have had some experience of working on metadata issues at an international level . I will never forget the Japanese delegation at one meeting unrolling a huge piece of paper showing dozens of characters and saying " Hey, don't forget us, we have three alphabets".

You should ALL try MusiCHI player Suite. The ONLY software player that was made having Classical Music in mind and onto which you can add up to seven extra metadata labels to suit your preferences. There is a free trial version for everyone who is interested.

https://www.musichi.eu/index.php/overview

Check out the MusiCHI Clean:

MusiCHI Clean

MusiCHI CLEAN is made up of a very complete database for classical music and jazz including composers, performers or ensembles, and compositions (over 200,000 entries). It is a dream tool to speedup your workflow by having automatically your composers, compositions and performers spelled right and uniformly! No more typical pop style names as Ludwig von Beethoven but Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827). Sick of having the same compositions under different names like:
Sonate für Klavier und Violine F-dur Opus 24 [Frühling]
Sonata No. 5 "Frühlings - Sonate"
The Violin Sonata No. 5 in F major “Spring”, Opus 24

The Cleaner will take care of it and supply all the relevant information like name, nickname, key, opus/catalog and year of the composition. In all previous examples the result will be:
Violin and Piano Sonata No.5 "Spring" Op.24 in F Major (1801)
You can even put all the elements like Opus or Year in a custom tag of your choice on the fly.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:34 PM, PAR said:

The tagging fields for composer and work may be available in JRiver but only for tagging. The problem is that these fields  are then not displayed in the JRiver players; Gizmo, JRemote, Panel etc. So  the fields may exist but are hidden and have no practical consequence.

You can right click on the title bar of any view and add any field.

Our wiki has a topic on classical music, with links to discussion on the forum.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

2 minutes ago, PAR said:

I listed 3 JRiver controllers two of which run respectively only on Android or iOS tablets or phones. You cannot add fields to them ( you can't right click for a start).

Maintenance is best done on the server side of JRiver (as with most software). I’ve added several fields both for my own purposes and for our NativeDSD scripts (to populate tags). Things like Catalog #, work, movement, etc.  Easy peasy