IGNORED

Cisco 2960 SFP <—> FMC setup

nkbg

Question

I separate my home network from the audio network via a pair of FMCs and would love to eliminate one FMC and power supply but utilizing the SFP port on the 2960. 

Has anyone successfully connected the fiber output of a FMC to the uplink input of a Cisco 2960 switch with a SFP module?

Any help is appreciated!

On 6/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, nkbg said:

I separate my home network from the audio network via a pair of FMCs and would love to eliminate one FMC and power supply but utilizing the SFP port on the 2960. 

Has anyone successfully connected the fiber output of a FMC to the uplink input of a Cisco 2960 switch with a SFP module?

Any help is appreciated!

TP-Link MC220L works excellent with cisco 2960

why wouldn't it work

4 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

Btw has anyone here tried changing the smps internal psu into a linear psu or battery psu? And how significant is the change? 

That would be quite the hack to get done. I wouldn't mess with that. I would simply use the SFP and go fiber and break any electrical connection.

People are chasing gremlins that don't exist.

image.png.add643d0b7f4d09440634ce72512e96c.png

On 6/17/2019 at 3:55 PM, nkbg said:

Any help is appreciated!

Yep. Not an issue. You can also go from one Cisco switch to another via SFP. A used 2960 is about the same price as a TP-Link FMC. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

6 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

Don't do that
it will do more harm than good

Not to mention you could harm yourself if you don't know what you're doing! 

Over on the Naim forum some members are hearing positive results daisy chaining two or more 2960's together. I'm going to try that. In fact I just ordered for the office a PD version for $30, so I'll be going: 

2960L-16PS> fiber> 2960-8tc-L>BJC Cat6>2960PD>Cat6> streamer. The 2960PD will be powered by a separate Cat6 from the 2960-16PS. So three in total, two acting as an optical bridge. 

For my other system using Sonore opticalModules from the 2960-16PS. Tried going just from the SFP out on the switch and bypassing the first opticalModule, but it sounds best with two opticalModules in the chain (of course). 

I figured for $30 I have little to lose (the price of a good lunch these days). Not here for awhile so will report back. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

21 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

Btw has anyone here tried changing the smps internal psu into a linear psu or battery psu? And how significant is the change? 

A friend has done a linear PSU and liked the result.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 minutes ago, plissken said:

That would be quite the hack to get done. I wouldn't mess with that. I would simply use the SFP and go fiber and break any electrical connection.

People are chasing gremlins that don't exist.

image.png.add643d0b7f4d09440634ce72512e96c.png

Actually the fellow who did the linear PSU called it “trivial” - for him.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Actually the fellow who did the linear PSU called it “trivial” - for him.

That's a matter of perspective. If you vlan setup is a challenge....

Why would anyone bother with that when you can go wifi or optical dirt cheap. Oh wait...

On a side note how does a power supply modded switch improve the 10Km run of single mode fiber?

3 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Not to mention you could harm yourself if you don't know what you're doing! 

Over on the Naim forum some members are hearing positive results daisy chaining two or more 2960's together. I'm going to try that. In fact I just ordered for the office a PD version for $30, so I'll be going: 

2960L-16PS> fiber> 2960-8tc-L>BJC Cat6>2960PD>Cat6> streamer. The 2960PD will be powered by a separate Cat6 from the 2960-16PS. So three in total, two acting as an optical bridge. 

For my other system using Sonore opticalModules from the 2960-16PS. Tried going just from the SFP out on the switch and bypassing the first opticalModule, but it sounds best with two opticalModules in the chain (of course). 

I figured for $30 I have little to lose (the price of a good lunch these days). Not here for awhile so will report back. 

I like two 2960s with optical between, though I haven’t tried to really check whether that’s any better sounding than one. I did subjectively feel I liked the high speed port better with one.

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

That's a matter of perspective. If you vlan setup is a challenge....

Why would anyone bother with that when you can go wifi or optical dirt cheap. Oh wait...

On a side note how does a power supply modded switch improve the 10Km run of single mode fiber?

As noted by many electrical references, it’s inside the home that noise on power lines is really a problem. So the 10k run to my mind is really irrelevant.

I don’t know how much noise might make it through the switch (only whatever’s involved in the opto-electronic conversion if you do optical), but it’s what the power supply puts back into the wall and system that I would be concerned about, if anything. (And by that I mean that I don’t know if there’s necessarily anything to be concerned about, but if folks want to take an interest and play around a bit, why not?)

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

For people picking up 2960's:

Make sure you get the units with the LAN Base and NOT LAN Lite IOS.

Because...?

1 minute ago, Jud said:

As noted by many electrical references, it’s inside the home that noise on power lines is really a problem. So the 10k run to my mind is really irrelevant.

I don’t know how much noise might make it through the switch (only whatever’s involved in the opto-electronic conversion if you do optical), but it’s what the power supply puts back into the wall and system that I would be concerned about, if anything. (And by that I mean that I don’t know if there’s necessarily anything to be concerned about, but if folks want to take an interest and play around a bit, why not?)

No, it's not irrelevant. How long of a run of optical do you need to your endpoint to take care of the EMI/RFI issue. I hope you are seeing the point. 

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

I like two 2960s with optical between, though I haven’t tried to really check whether that’s any better sounding than one. I did subjectively feel I liked the high speed port better with one.

you should test it
I'm running a 2960G/24 as backbone switch.
and single mode duplex LC/UPC-LC/UPC  fiber to a 29608TC-L for audio,
and its sounds great

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Because...?

If you only get LAN Lite you can't do any layer 3 (ip routing) natively on the switch. So no intervlan routing.

If you get the LAN base you can simply:

sw(console)# ip routing

sw(console)# ip default-gateway ipofyourrouterhere

sw(console# vlan 10, 20, 30, etc

sw(console)#int vlan 10,20,30 etc

sw(int vlan)# ip add x.x.x.x #.#.#.# (address and subnet)

and plug into your router and be good to go.

2 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

you should test it
I'm running a 2960G/24 as backbone switch.
and single mode duplex LC/UPC-LC/UPC  fiber to a 29608TC-L for audio,
and its sounds great

I played around a little with one vs. two, thought two with optical in between sounded maybe a little better and left it that way. Happy enough that I’m not really motivated to go back and forth, I’m just leaving it.  🙂

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

If you only get LAN Lite you can't do any layer 3 (ip routing) natively on the switch. So no intervlan routing.

sw(console)# ip routing

I just did the last step (plug it in) with my two and everything works great. 😀

5 minutes ago, plissken said:

sw(console)# ip routing

why would you use VLAN if you don't separate them in different subnets,,,,

9 minutes ago, plissken said:

No, it's not irrelevant. How long of a run of optical do you need to your endpoint to take care of the EMI/RFI issue. I hope you are seeing the point. 

Ah, well I wasn’t worried about radiated noise, but as I said if anything whatever the power supply put back into the wall and system.