IGNORED

Cisco 2960 SFP <—> FMC setup

nkbg

Question

I separate my home network from the audio network via a pair of FMCs and would love to eliminate one FMC and power supply but utilizing the SFP port on the 2960. 

Has anyone successfully connected the fiber output of a FMC to the uplink input of a Cisco 2960 switch with a SFP module?

Any help is appreciated!

44 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

thanks @charlesphoto will try and do that and will get back to you. 

also, it says on my mac, the ethernet is setting its own IP

Are you 100% sure the switch has been reset to factory default? And if you have the Airport Extreme set up to give out IP's vs the cable modem/router, then the switch has to go after the AP not before it (that's how mine is set up modem>AP>2960). Be sure you have the incoming and outgoing cables on the AP correct (Wan and Lan). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

6 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Are you 100% sure the switch has been reset to factory default? And if you have the Airport Extreme set up to give out IP's vs the cable modem/router, then the switch has to go after the AP not before it (that's how mine is set up modem>AP>2960). Be sure you have the incoming and outgoing cables on the AP correct (Wan and Lan). 

to answer your question no, the switch hasnt been reset to factory default. Is there a manual way of doin it? And yes it is located after the airport express, tplink mc220L then the switch via fiber optic. 

13 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

is it possible to go to console mode without havin the console cable? Just by directly connecting an ethernet cable to it and my mac? 

The only way to do that is if you have either a loopback interface or you have a VLAN setup and SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) with IP on it.  THEN you have to have a port on the switch placed into that vlan:

SW(Config)# Vlan 10 *creates a vlan*

SW(Config)# int vlan 10 *creates a virtual host on that vlan*

SW(INT-Vlan)# Ip add 192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0 *assigns the virtual host an IP*

SW(INT-Vlan)#exit

SW(Config) int g0/1 

SW(Int)# switchport mode access *makes sure the port is in access or Layer 2 mode*

SW(Int)# Switchport access vlan 10 *places the port into Vlan 10*

SW(Int)# exit

Sw(config)# copy ru st *saves the config to flash memory on the switch*

You have to have a console cable. They are $12.

Plug in your computer to the specified port, assign it an ip address of 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 and you should be able to ping 192.168.0.254.  You will be able to manage via telnet at this point. 

15 minutes ago, plissken said:

The only way to do that is if you have either a loopback interface or you have a VLAN setup and SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) with IP on it.  THEN you have to have a port on the switch placed into that vlan:

SW(Config)# Vlan 10 *creates a vlan*

SW(Config)# int vlan 10 *creates a virtual host on that vlan*

SW(INT-Vlan)# Ip add 192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0 *assigns the virtual host an IP*

SW(INT-Vlan)#exit

SW(Config) int g0/1 

SW(Int)# switchport mode access *makes sure the port is in access or Layer 2 mode*

SW(Int)# Switchport access vlan 10 *places the port into Vlan 10*

SW(Int)# exit

Sw(config)# copy ru st *saves the config to flash memory on the switch*

You have to have a console cable. They are $12.

Plug in your computer to the specified port, assign it an ip address of 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 and you should be able to ping 192.168.0.254.  You will be able to manage via telnet at this point. 

Thank you @plissken for the detailed info but this is a bit overwhelming since this is my first time touching these things. And is it possible to do a hard reset physically by just the unit itself? 

10 hours ago, plissken said:

You can hard reset, but you CAN NOT manage a Cisco switch with factory defaults W/O a console cable. It won't have an IP address. 

That's why they put a console port on it.

Look on the sticker and post the exact model #. 

I can even build a config for you based on what you want to accomplish, PM it to you and you can copy/paste. Or I can email you the startup config file and you can copy it to flash. But you are going to need a console cable. 

Thank you so much @plissken so the model no is WS-C2960-48TC-L . Does the console cable connects w a mac? It looks like it needs a serial plug? So i guess i need to find a thunderbolt-serial adaptor? 

so today i went out to purchase a WS-C2960-8TC-S. I wanted to try it since it has no fan. Managed to hold the mode button for 10s to reset it. Connected the fiber optic to the sfp port and my ethernet to my mac and it worked. For some reason i think the WS-C2960-48TC-L sounds more open in my system?? Which is weird since its got that noisy fan and also when i had it hooked up i was running ethernet cable from my airport extreme to it, no fiber optic. 

it just doesnt make sense. 

11 hours ago, plissken said:

You can hard reset, but you CAN NOT manage a Cisco switch with factory defaults W/O a console cable. It won't have an IP address. 

That's why they put a console port on it.

Look on the sticker and post the exact model #. 

I can even build a config for you based on what you want to accomplish, PM it to you and you can copy/paste. Or I can email you the startup config file and you can copy it to flash. But you are going to need a console cable. 

" Managing the Switch

After completing Express Setup and installing the switch in your network, use the device manager, Cisco Network Assistant, or another of the management options described in this section for further configuration "

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/network-assistant-version-6-0/model.html#~tab-downloads

13 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

" Managing the Switch

After completing Express Setup and installing the switch in your network, use the device manager, Cisco Network Assistant, or another of the management options described in this section for further configuration "

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/network-assistant-version-6-0/model.html#~tab-downloads

That's after you have the initial setup done. Still need an IP Address.

Not sure if all 2960's (Cisco has many builds of these) follow this guide.

1-19Catalyst 2960 Switch Getting Started GuideOL-9368-03Chapter 1 Getting Started GuideIn Case of Difficulty

Resetting the Switch

This section describes how to reset the switch by rerunning Express Setup.

These are reasons why you might want to reset the switch:

You installed the switch in your network and cannot connect to it because you assigned the wrong IP address.

You want to clear all configurations from the switch and assign a new IP address

.You are trying to enter Express Setup mode, and the switch LEDs start blinking when you press the Mode button (which means that the switch is already configured with IP information).CautionResetting the switch deletes the configuration and reboots the switch.To reset the switch:

Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds. Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.

16 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

NO

Express set is always available on 2960 series,

with ip 10.0.0.1 on port 1

will give it a try tomorrow thanks @TubeMan

i just checked the user guide, i just read that the switch actually radiates alot of RFI. And actually with the first switch (48port tc) ive wrapped the unit with copper tape and grounded the tape and the one today (8port tc) i havent done this might also be the reason for the “more closed sound” and also like what @charlesphoto said regarding the diff build, age, os etc of the unit.

will have a try with express setup tomorrow, crossing my fingers,