IGNORED

Cisco 2960 SFP <—> FMC setup

nkbg

Question

I separate my home network from the audio network via a pair of FMCs and would love to eliminate one FMC and power supply but utilizing the SFP port on the 2960. 

Has anyone successfully connected the fiber output of a FMC to the uplink input of a Cisco 2960 switch with a SFP module?

Any help is appreciated!

30 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

why would you use VLAN if you don't separate them in different subnets,,,,

Because you would put them in different subnets:

192.168.0.0-31

192.168.0.32-63

192.168.0.64-95

192.168.0.96-127 etc

That could be 0 for audio wifi and audio wired

32 could be guest wifi and wired

64 could be server/service (file server,nas, roku, fire stick etc)

96 could be household iot, thermostat, security camera's etc.

Then you could ACL so you would prevent, say 96 from getting anywhere other than vlan 1 and out to the internet.

12 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

overkill for home network

same subnet for all ip in that example by the way

Not that anyone should be discouraged from using different subnets if they’d like, but it’s correct that the example shows everything on the same subnet.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

39 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

As all the pros are out in force...anyone have an idea why the ethernet chip on Allo USBridge Sin will not "talk" to this switch (and only this switch)? The older USBridge had no problem. Off topic, apologies.

Might be that the USbridge won't talk to to 10/100 equipment (if you're referring to the basic older 2960). I have this issue with the Sonore opticalModule which is 1gb only. When I tried it into my 1st gen Naim Unitiqute it was a no go as it won't auto-negotiate with 10/100. Try it into the uplink port as that's 1gb. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

3 hours ago, TubeMan said:

overkill for home network

same subnet for all ip in that example by the way

How would you know, I didn't list the subnet mask. But you should be able to figure it out from the ranges I gave out. That would be /27's. 

We are also talking to people who will put in linear PS, $700 'audiophile' switches, $400 network cables. And simply vlaning off crap like IoT and cheap Chinese DVR systems that a lot of households will use is overkill?

All the IGMP from those other devices can cause audible noise, right?

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Not that anyone should be discouraged from using different subnets if they’d like, but it’s correct that the example shows everything on the same subnet.

No it's not on the same subnet. Any network guy would have figured out that 

192.168.0.0 /27 is 0 is network 31 is broadcast with 1-30 usable

192.168.0.32/27 is 32 network with 63 as broadcast and 33-62 usable

192.168.0.64/27 is 64 network with 95 as broadcast and 65-94 usable

192.168.0.96/27 is 96 network with 127 as broadcast and 97-126 usable

2 hours ago, plissken said:

We are also talking to people who will put in linear PS, $700 'audiophile' switches, $400 network cables. And simply vlaning off crap like IoT and cheap Chinese DVR systems that a lot of households will use is overkill?

All the IGMP from those other devices can cause audible noise, right?

Who knows, but it's interesting.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, plissken said:

Got it. Thanks.

Ok the sfp port on the 48 port switch works now for some reason. Now i just set the 8port switch to receive the first signal from the router, then the ethernet from 8tc goes to the 48tc then from the 48tc via its sfp port to tplink mc220ml, it sounds really good. The “air” is back by putting the 48tc before the tplink. Thanks for your help everyone much appreciated. Time to enjoy some music. 

21 hours ago, plissken said:

and default route will be

17 minutes ago, plissken said:

If people are interested I can make a video tutorial on what we've been talking about.

Yep, interested. My setup is that my network has 4 eeros; the audio system has a switch attached to one of the eeros and it plus the cable modem are the only wired connections to and from that eero - everything else is wifi.

The switch attached to the eero by Ethernet cable runs optical to a second 2960, which in turn outputs an Ethernet cable to my microRendu (Ethernet input, USB output).

@plissken pls take ur time in the mean time my console cable (usb - rj45) is still on its way. 

ive found that having the 48tc converting fiber (with clean isolated mains) , and the ethernet to my mac produces the best sound. So now the 8tc-s is used to convert ethernet from ethernet (airport extreme)  to fiber in the other room then fiber all the way to listening room. 

im going to try the tplink mc220L with linear psu for ethernet-fiber conversion today, and see if there is a diff.