IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, guillaume31 said:

Are you sure about this ? Back in June 2018 I stated my number in the SR7 thread and you did not react to my post, on the contrary you seemed to like it :D

Every 3 or 4 months I feel like cancelling my order though....had I found a drop-in alternative to a dual rail SR7 (no bigger, etc....), I would have jumped on it already :(

I was thanking you for posting the updated scheduling information for your build.

When I originally placed my order, Paul told me that I was build #23.  Later, he told me it was #24.  Since then, we have always referred to it as #24.  I have never attempted to reconcile the difference with him.

11 minutes ago, paulhynes said:

Hi all. Mark the office administrator for Paul Hynes Design LTD here. Just letting you know that for the last two days our email systems have not been working due to issue with the host’s server. If you wish to contact us our alternative email is [email protected]. This email is a backup email account so please be aware that it is not usually monitored continually, but will be until our usual email systems are back in place.

Hi Mark.  Welcome to the thread.  This kind of communication is most welcome and appreciated.  An occasional update from the maestro himself would also be very considerate and informative for those of us who have been waiting for an SR7 for 2+ years.

1 hour ago, Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD) said:

Hello all. Sorry for a delay in answering these questions. I have been collecting information about our recent history that should provide the answers you require. I have attached the statement as a PDF.

PHD Ltd history.pdf 113.45 kB · 7 downloads

Thanks to you and @paulhynes for taking the time to pull all of this information together.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, gererick said:

By chance, can someone discuss whether having dual rails in an SR5 is beneficial to sound quality?

The primary benefit of dual rails is the lower cost per rail.  There are also efficiencies from having two rails located in the same case.  For example, only one power cord is needed, and less space is required on your shelf.  Theoretically, there could be some interaction between the two rails that could slightly diminish sound quality. 

58 minutes ago, gererick said:

Thanks!  Reading your reply, does 'dual rail' mean two pieces of equipment can be plugged in to a dual-rail power supply instead of one?

Yes, two pieces of equipment can be plugged into a dual rail supply.

55 minutes ago, gererick said:

The dual rails in the SR5 are galvanically isolated (dual rails are an option that costs extra).  Does this, assuming it is perfectly executed, eliminate the possibility of interaction between the two rails?

Paul once wrote me the following in regard to a dual rail supply:

"There is a slight sonic penalty with having all the transformer secondaries on one transformer core as nothing is absolutely perfect and there will be some small level of interaction due to transient load current swings. This may be audible in a high-resolution system but it would be rather subtle due to the very high supply line rejection of the voltage regulator circuitry in the DR mode."

The SR5 that you are contemplating will not have DR (double regulated) circuitry as it is not part of the standard SR5 offering.  You will have single regulated (SR) circuitry instead.  Nevertheless, in practical terms, any interaction would probably be so minimal that you would normally not be aware of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, bit01 said:

I suppose Paul has no interest in offering 'kits'  - I suspect many here would be able to put one together rather quickly !

Each custom build is unique, and therefore, can't be made into a kit.  Paul has transferred some of his intellectual property for the SR4, SR5, and SR7 to Paul Hynes Design.  These production versions might be viewed as kits, but they are licensed exclusively to Paul Hynes Design.  They are not available for DIY purposes.

25 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

BTW, did someone make a comparison between Farad 3 and SR4 or SR5 already ?  The Farad is also DR, so it does have a bit of an advantage I suppose.  I am still waiting for A Farad 19V/12A if it will ever come. 

Search the Novel thread.  Rajiv compared the Farad3 and SR4 a few months ago.

This thread has strayed from its intent of providing useful information on the progress and delivery of SR4 and SR7 orders.  We are by now all well aware of the historical delays in the custom build queue.  As OP, I would like to see no further discussion of past performance since it is not relevant to this topic.  Going forward, I will have such posts removed.

Hopefully, people realize that a separate business, Paul Hynes Design (PHD), has been created to fulfill orders for standard SR4, SR5, and SR7 power supplies.  We are all interested in understanding the performance of PHD, particularly as it relates to their ability to complete SR7 builds.  Please feel free to post your experience with PHD as it is also relevant to this topic.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chopin75 said:

Most of the SR are coming along on time. For the DR version, it would be custom built by Paul himself? And that can take eons ? How much more expensive for a DR7 ? Is it worth it to get the best by doing DR? I am asking this because for e.g. I think  Farad offers DR in their PS (though they don't have a 10A version yet)

The only way to get a DR SR7 is to have Paul build one, but he is no longer accepting new orders..  You would have to take over an existing order from someone who no longer wants it.

The Farad is an excellent power supply but not on the same level as a DR SR7.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...