IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

As you are talking about PCIe cards: I received good news from a customer who said that the XILINX Solarflare Flareon Ultra SFN8522 - network adapter - PCIe 3.1 - 10 Gigabit SFP+ worked right away on Euphony. Anyone who has always wanted to try out Ethernet with fiber optics and is looking for a high-quality NIC with a precise clock and extremely low latencies should give it a try. 😉

I wrote here: 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Joerg D said:

Still, the same album sounds better from the NAS.

Yesterday I did a sound check with a sound engineer and we compared Qobuz vs. NAS. For the sound engineer, the difference was even 15% -20% better with NAS! I didn't hear the difference as well as the sound engineer, but NAS sounded better to me too.

1 hour ago, flkin said:

Since the file is in RAM, try unplugging the lan cable when playing both Qobuz and NAS and see if you still hear the difference. 

I guess I know what you're getting at. 😉 There have been many reports that network traffic is interfering with audio output. I think so too, but I have solved it differently (among other things by different core assignment for Ethernet).

In connection with our test, however, this don't matter, as both streamed and hard drive came from the NAS (HFX RipNAS Solid). This two PC solution is wanted because the data octopus Roon must be isolated from the audio PC endpoint.

A picture should clarify the Ethernet route.

fetch?id=596745&d=1617174428

14 minutes ago, di-fi said:

It's the noise generated by the NIC during playback.

Many Thanks. This thesis is known to me and the noise exists.

This can be restricted with measures:

53 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

but I have solved it differently (among other things by different core assignment for Ethernet).

and switch off network card adapters that are not used, use high-quality NICs such as those from Solarflare, etc. I have very good experiences with this.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Euphony. I like the tidy user interface and the options in RAM for buffering and loading Euphony from RAM.

A little prehistory:

I am a convinced HQPlayer user and like to use DSD 256 with the modulator ASDM7EC. These algorithms require two cores with at least 4GHz for stereo. No problem for an Intel Core i9-9900K. Since I have a fanless PC, I have to throttle the temperature development. I do this in the BIOS with a fixed clock rate of 4.2GHz. Very high-performance under Windows 10 Pro and without any problems.

Unfortunately this does not work under Euphony. Regardless of the setting, two cores are always occupied with 100% utilization.

41018021mw.png

It seems to be a problem that has existed for a long time. Too bad.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:23 PM, ASRMichael said:

Now with Euphony...........In Ramroot and non RAM Root (HQ player and Roon Server)

The settings above simply do not work. Here what I have tried;

Settings above - Stuttering/skipping. All 3 processors maxed out at 99-100%%.

Removed Core isolation, given me back 1 extra core, so 4 in total, All 4 processors maxed out at 99-100%%, still skipping.

Turned on Turbo increasing from 2.9Ghz to 3.6Ghz, All 4 processors maxed out at 96-99%. still skipping

Turned on Hyper Threading - All 4 processors maxed out at 95-98-100%. still skipping

Even defaulted my Bios, run everything as standard, still same result. 

Running from Sandisk USB, tried another brand, Tried with and without Ramrrot - No difference

24 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Do you have the same issue with HQP Embedded linux image?

No idea. I haven't tried it. I think the Euphony has the HQPlayer 4 Embedded 4.20.3 from January. So a bit out of date but new enough.

Incidentally, PCM works very well.

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

How have you found Euphony versus your optmized Windows?

The advantages of Euphony are the ease of use, the updates at the push of a button and the few processes running. Unfortunately, the core assignment for the HQPlayer is not as efficient as in Windows. It remains to be seen whether a newer version of HQPLayer will fix this problem.

The advantages of Windows are that it is widely used with a variety of good tools. But focusing the processes on audio means a lot of work. If that succeeds, Windows sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Have you tried IRQ? With your core isolation?

Yes, I tried IRQ. Since I don't use USB, but NAA, the Solarflare NIC assignment was interesting for me. However, I found that I was making it worse. Before my IRQ assignment, Ethernet was nicely split up across each individual core.

Example with two cores

162:      69405          0          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524288-edge      eth0-0

163:          0     491576          0          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524289-edge      eth0-1

After my IRQ assignment, the parallel core was also used. This is bad.

Example after the IRQ assignment with irq/162 1 and irq/163 2

162:      70837       1874          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524288-edge      eth0-0

163:          0     491804        138          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524289-edge      eth0-1

Result: In my constellation, it doesn't work. The reason is probably that the Solarflare NIC does its own mapping like HQPlayer. In the BIOS I set the Solarflare firmware to lowest latencies.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Just ordered this Apacer RAM

These are pretty high latencies:

MHz: 3200
CL: 22
Calculated nanoseconds:

I prefer RAM with CL latency up to 8.8ns. Probably not available from the Apacer brand. justmy2cents

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

This 2666 speed Apacer sounds better than the 2400 that we had before (and the 2400 was considerably better than Crucial RAM that originally came with my NUC). T

I'm not sure if Apacer with ECC should be built into computers without ECC. They have disadvantages because of the high latencies:

MHz: 2666 CL: 19
Calculated nanoseconds: 14.25

And they don't have a heat sink.

There are good alternatives, for example G.Skill RipJaws V black DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34 with 8.75ns. I consider low latencies to be one of the key factors behind high SQ. But everyone may see it differently.

3 hours ago, flkin said:

I had the G.Skill DDR4-3200 ram (latency 8.75ns) in my server before switching to Apacer industrial, ECC, unbuffered, unregistered DDR4-2400 UDIMM (latency 14.2ns) and it was a big step up in sound quality after tuning. I wrote about it and about the RAM factors here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/43629-pink-faun-216/?do=findComment&comment=1073511

On 8/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, flkin said:

CONCLUSION

The best setting for the Apacer industrial DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM  in the Pink Faun 2.16x (2018 version) running Euphony/Stylus in Ramroot is:

1. RAM - overclocked at 2800MHz @ 1.14 volts

Interesting! You made a lot of effort. With this setting you have at least reduced the latency. MHz: 2800 CL: 17 = Calculated nanoseconds: 12.14 😉

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, lotusaurus said:

DSD256, ASM7EC,

The only thing that helps is contact with the support, which is really good. They set up the system in such a way that the computationally intensive HQPlayer EC modulators run smoothly.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Smaragdhk said:

n other words, the consensus seems to be that one will usually get better sound quality separating system OS and music files on different drives.

I can confirm that. Computers are based on reading and writing data. And that's probably one of the reasons. In a 2-PC system, one computer causes a lot of "noise" when searching for, reading out and writing back data, while the other only receives and renders the data.

2 hours ago, 87mpi said:

I suspect the lan network introduces more disturbances than benefits.

The transmission of data via Ethernet is indeed not trivial. Whoever browses here in the forum will find a lot how the SQ can be significantly improved via ethernet. For example with a Solarflare X2522 NIC with fiber optics and an OCXO clock in the switch.

3 hours ago, KATARRAZZI said:

May i ask what you mean in this content a little bit that the machine that searches, reads and writes data and the machine that receives and displays the data here is a nas/euphony stylus architecture or a euphony architecture  core/stylus endpoint.

This principle is independent of the operating system or the player. The point is that when reading and writing data, interrupts are generated in the CPU. And the electronic noise increases. If a music management system such as Roon is still working on the same computer, databases are constantly synchronized over the Internet. If all of this takes place in one PC, you are in chaos.

I have very good experiences with separate the music data and the Roon Core on the NAS. The endpoint ist installed on another Audio PC. The end point should ideally only render and forward the music for the DAC. My Audio PC is not connected to the internet. I also do upsampling with the HQPlayer. Some outsource this to further minimize electronic noise.

Additionally if Ethernet is galvanically isolated and reclocked, all digital artifacts disappear.

Here is my current ethernet topology:

42122461ja.png

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I think it would make sense for Euphony to remove HQPlayer from the OS entirely

Why? The complete HQPlayer administration interface is accessible under Euphony. Click the HQPlayer icon.

It makes more sense to remove the few implausible input fields in Euphony.

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

And that HQP functionality is greatly expanded when using it outside of Euphony.

What kind of functions are they missing in Euphony / HQPlayer?

When I open the administration interface of HQPlayer under Euphony (click on the HQPlayer icon!), I get the same GUI as with HQPlayer Embedded.

I can set everything that I can do under HQPlayer Embedded. For example the Matrix Pipeline.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dminches said:

I don't feel like the sound quality is lacking in any way but I do find it to be buggy. 

That's a good point. The whole time the HQPlayer implementation was flawed. Only through courageous intervention by Euphony Support was the HQPlayer at DSD running without stuttering. Since it annoyed me to have to apply for the latest HQPlayer updates, I also stopped using Euphony.

I think Euphony is very suitable for users who do not want to have any trouble and use stylus. If you try harder, take a look at the HQPlayer OS. This is even leaner and has recently made Quobuz Streaming possible.

11 hours ago, biosailor said:

Are you sure about HQP OS being capable of Qobuz streaming?

Take a look 😉

• 6 months later...

I installed Euphony V4 Beta with RAM Root on the USB stick. An Intel i9-12900K core is used. I tried Stylus with Qobuz. The albums are loaded very fast. 

43902948an.png

In the beta version you can also use upsampling. The computing load for PCM 705.6 is very low and only the E-cores are used.

43902945sk.png

Even DSD256 loads the fis audio PC very little. 

spacer.png

Stylus with HQPlayer has for me a better sound quality, at least if you like upsampling. For PCM 705.6, two P-cores are very lightly loaded. 

43902952vz.png

DSD with the EC modulators don't work without stuttering, which is probably due to the outdated HQPlayer (Embedded 4.24?) version. The core allocation is completely inefficient.

43902961aj.png

But DSD1024 with a NON-EC modulator works. It sounds wonderful. 

43902956qo.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 1:17 PM, Yiakubou said:

I am running dual PC setup.

This is good!

If you use Stylus to control HQP, then Stylus only sends playback commands and track links and lets HQP stream all the data and do its own work.

How do you know that?

Best solution for me could be if Roon would not stream anything to HQP, but just send commands like Stylus does,

I don't think this is a good solution. You don't use the potential of a dual PC solution. 

Every computer is based on reading and writing data. Every operation triggers computing power and interrupts. The cores are prioritized differently. In my experience, the more processes competing for data memory and processing power, the worse the sound. 

The sense in a dual PC setup is the task distribution. One PC should take care of the music management and control. The music files are often widely scattered on the hard disk. This compilation can be done very well by Roon and sends a finished package to the second PC. This PC then only has to take care of the rendering. This reduces electronic noise and interruptions at the endpoint. 

I've been researching what control apps I could use to control HQP instead of having to pay for Euphony Stylus licence just for that, but unfortunately all apps I've found that I've seen kinda suck.

What apps have you tried and what didn't you like about them?

29 minutes ago, Helmut said:

I try to get my license transfered to my new board since yesterday

Euphony makes this too complicated. Examples to simplify: 

When changing the Roon Core, you simply log in to the new device. The old device is automatically deactivated. 

The HQPlayer offers a USB license dongle. USB stick to the new machine and that's it. 😉