IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

Hi, I'm new to this forum and a bit of a newbie when it comes to fiddling with network etc. I'm currently using a  TP Link MC100CM optical bridge + Microrendu to feed a 2qute dac. If I understand this correctly I wouldn't just be able to switch the downstream fmc with an Opticalmodule, I'd need something that is able to do a gigabit right? Also, will changing anything before the first fmc be worth it for better quality sound? I read that optical eliminates the noise, but after changing a receptacle, feeding my router, laptop and first fmc to an already burned in Oyaide receptacle I "feel" there's an improvement in sound quality. I'm asking because I've been thinking about getting a linear psu for the laptop that is located just before the first fmc. I could buy one  and listen for myself yes, but if anyone have any experience with it I could save the $$ for something else 🙂

26 minutes ago, Steffenegede said:

Hi, I'm new to this forum and a bit of a newbie when it comes to fiddling with network etc. I'm currently using a  TP Link MC100CM optical bridge + Microrendu to feed a 2qute dac. If I understand this correctly I wouldn't just be able to switch the downstream fmc with an Opticalmodule, I'd need something that is able to do a gigabit right? Also, will changing anything before the first fmc be worth it for better quality sound? I read that optical eliminates the noise, but after changing a receptacle, feeding my router, laptop and first fmc to an already burned in Oyaide receptacle I "feel" there's an improvement in sound quality. I'm asking because I've been thinking about getting a linear psu for the laptop that is located just before the first fmc. I could buy one  and listen for myself yes, but if anyone have any experience with it I could save the $$ for something else 🙂

Hi. I had an MC100CM bridge before as well (and still do on the office set up). Yes, you'll need a gigabit FMC (TP Link MC220L or equivalent). Just do it I say. Don't worry about the upstream for now and what's powering it. I will be getting second oM at some point for the office, and at that time I can test oM to oM, but in all honest opinion it's probably overkill as it does such a good job of cleaning up the signal. I could be wrong though and have been before. I may end up with three or four of them eventually!:)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

27 minutes ago, Steffenegede said:

Hi,

You are right about needing a ‘gigabit capable’ optical network if you are connecting into the Sonore OM. Also, the SFP transceiver needs to accept the LC type connectors. I would advise using the TP-Link SM311LM which Sonore list on their website. Regarding the FMC, you’d need to replace your MC100CM with an MC220L (if sticking with TP-Link).

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

Hi. I had an MC100CM bridge before as well (and still do on the office set up). Yes, you'll need a gigabit FMC (TP Link MC220L or equivalent). Just do it I say. Don't worry about the upstream for now and what's powering it. I will be getting second oM at some point for the office, and at that time I can test oM to oM, but in all honest opinion it's probably overkill as it does such a good job of cleaning up the signal. I could be wrong though and have been before. I may end up with three or four of them eventually!:)

Sorry - our replies must’ve passed in the ether (net) 😁

2 hours ago, Dasign said:

Hi Jesus, I just swapped the HDPlex feed to the router using the Asus wallwart. The HDPlex just killed the Asus PS. So I guess that the router would require an LPS 1.2 or similar quality PS eventually, to really conclude on your recommendation. I will try the LPS 1.2 on the Trendnet later and connect the rest of my equipment on the HDPlex. We will see where it brings us.

Switched the LPS 1.2 to the Trendnet and the rest on the HDPlex. It looks like this combo is quieter, but by a faint margin (if any). The good news is that the OpticalModule works very well. I guess I would then need another PS strictly to feed the router to further increase PS isolation.

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

8 hours ago, Dasign said:

While I understand the PS interaction behind your suggestion, the Urendu sounds much better when powered from the LPS1.2 VS when it was previously powered from the HDPlex. While I can move some PS around, the router would have to be then powered by the original ASUS wallwart PS, since I am out of additional PS. Do you think it is still worth a shot at?

Y-cable powering both oM and UltraRendu. You can test (power draw) by a cheap Y-cable found on dx.com or similar, before you order from Ghentaudio. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. I can build my own Y-splitter using silver cable and Oyaide connectors.

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

1 hour ago, Dasign said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. I can build my own Y-splitter using silver cable and Oyaide connectors.

Keep the ultraRendu powered by the LPS1.2. 

Use the Jameco 5v Linear or pick up an R-core Linear power supply from EBay to power the opticalModule.

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

Keep the ultraRendu powered by the LPS1.2. 

Use the Jameco 5v Linear or pick up an R-core Linear power supply from EBay to power the opticalModule.

We have several power supplies available on our website in case your not sure what to get.

7 hours ago, Dasign said:

Switched the LPS 1.2 to the Trendnet and the rest on the HDPlex. It looks like this combo is quieter, but by a faint margin (if any). The good news is that the OpticalModule works very well. I guess I would then need another PS strictly to feed the router to further increase PS isolation.

There are no hard rules except keeping the two FMCs on different power supplies in order to maintain the galvanic isolation.

8 hours ago, Steffenegede said:

I would save the money for something else.

14 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

There are no hard rules except keeping the two FMCs on different power supplies in order to maintain the galvanic isolation.

I guess my best downstream fiber link power option, is to purchase a 7 VDC linear PS for the OpticalModule and power the Urendu with the LPS-1.2. All upstream of fiber link powering could be handled by the HDPlex.

21 minutes ago, Dasign said:

I guess my best downstream fiber link power option, is to purchase a 7 VDC linear PS for the OpticalModule and power the Urendu with the LPS-1.2. All upstream of fiber link powering could be handled by the HDPlex.

The opticalModule works quite well with 5V. The Rendu products do NOT work with 5V.

John S.

John good point. I’m currently powering my OpticalModule with my HDPlex variable output which starts at 7 VDC. So it would be probably better to purchase a 5 VDC to power the OpticalModule to keep the heat down a bit. My Urendu is currently operated at 7 VDC.

8 hours ago, Dasign said:

John good point. I’m currently powering my OpticalModule with my HDPlex variable output which starts at 7 VDC. So it would be probably better to purchase a 5 VDC to power the OpticalModule to keep the heat down a bit. My Urendu is currently operated at 7 VDC.

Hi,

My 100W HDPlex unit has a fixed 5V out. Is yours already deployed elsewhere perhaps? 

Mine has a USB-C output at 5V also (although I’m not sure if this has enough ‘grunt’ to power an OM).

1 hour ago, BlueDL said:

Hi,

My 100W HDPlex unit has a fixed 5V out. Is yours already deployed elsewhere perhaps? 

Mine has a USB-C output at 5V also (although I’m not sure if this has enough ‘grunt’ to power an OM).

The opticalModule will work fine at 7 VDC. 

3 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Hi,

Yes, it is hooked-up to another device.

The opticalModule was giving so much more bass energy I finally had to use eq in Roon for the first time. No fault of the opticalModule - just room/speaker interaction giving some standing bass waves at the very low end. A bigger amp perhaps would tame some of that as well at higher volumes. New cable on the way from Ghent should tame as well, and better power someday. System still sounds like I snuck off to the dealers and spent in the low four figures instead of $280 (module and cheap TP Link FMC for the other end). Thinking about a second one for the office and/or other end of the fiber cable.

Any report on running an opticalModule to opticalModule or opticalModule to opticalRendu and if there's any change for the better? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

The opticalModule was giving so much more bass energy I finally had to use eq in Roon for the first time. No fault of the opticalModule - just room/speaker interaction giving some standing bass waves at the very low end. A bigger amp perhaps would tame some of that as well at higher volumes. New cable on the way from Ghent should tame as well, and better power someday. System still sounds like I snuck off to the dealers and spent in the low four figures instead of $280 (module and cheap TP Link FMC for the other end). Thinking about a second one for the office and/or other end of the fiber cable.

Any report on running an opticalModule to opticalModule or opticalModule to opticalRendu and if there's any change for the better? 

As John Swenson pointed out in his post regarding clock phase noise in the OpticalRendu thread, using two OpticalModules will provide better performance than just one in the chain as you will have the benefit of another device with a significantly better clock than one in your FMC. So, I would predict you would obtain an audible improvement over what the single OM brings. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

Just an update on my OpticalModule: 

I received mine a week ago today and its now become pretty nicely burned in. I would say the sound of the OM at 24-48 hours of burn-in was a bit "edgy" on the upper mids, but with another day of burn-in, by 72 hours, things smoothed out quite appreciably and the overall presentation opens and becomes quite a bit more musical. I was listening to it the other night, maybe Monday night, and it was like there was almost a virtual "snap!" and the sound just opened up big and beautifully smooth. It reminded me of the run-in for Dynaudio tweeters....they sound very "mixed" up to 300 hours, then, its like flipping a switch, then,  "Bing!" and they are "there". 

I would expect additional, but smaller increments of sound quality improvement as it heads towards 200 hours or so....

Compared to my Conrad-Johnson CT-5 pre-amp, whose Teflon caps required about 1000 hours and the better part of 2 years of listening time to burn in, 3 days is a piece of cake...

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

Well, with 90 degree day here in Seattle, we’re all baking in! Second one ordered - curiosity’s got the better of me and I can always use it on my office system if the improvement is only marginal. But it only makes sense that coming from a really good commercial switch into a cheap FMC probably isn’t the best idea. Nice thing is I’m using Bridge on the microRendu to play via Roon to my Unitiqute in the office. Any changes I make to the rendu I can hear back to the UQ - not always as dramatic, but the sound just keeps seemingly improving to the point I like my office system as much if not sometimes more than the living room (plus the space is all mine!) . Two for one. 

Well, finally back from a 2 week trip and then took a day to begin to get over jet lag (i.e. I couldn't be trusted around electricity or sharp objects).

The oR was in my system and burning in for the 2 weeks and my recollection was that it sounded good, better than the old ultraRendu but probably needed to be burned in.  After 2 weeks, my opinion didn't change very much......hmmmmmm

Wednesday morning I unpacked the oM, set it up with an lps-1.2 and let it burn in for a day while I listened to the oR based system (also with an lps-1.2) and waited for the jetlag fog to begin to lift.

Today, I spent an hour or so listening to the oR in my system, then went to the basement and put the oM into the feed.

Holy (insert your own adjective here)!  I listened first (5 minutes after listening to it with oR alone) to Jennifer Warnes "Ballad of the Runaway Horse" and it was transformed, huge bass, much better depth and great micro-detail to the voice, just a no-brainer and no need to go back and forth for comparisons.

Clearly the uplink router crap/noise was really significant in my system.[YMMV]

The combination of the oM and the oR in my system, both with good power, is way beyond where I was with the uR.

My network is fairly heavy in the  house.  I have a 24 port 1G Netgear router, as well as a 6 port 10G Netgear router.

I had been using an SFP off of the 10G router to connect to the oR via 50ft of single mode fiber (I bought a pair of SFP and am not using the Sonore provided SFP).  I am currently running cat6 from the 10G router to the oM.

I had initially thought that the oR alone was supposed to be sufficient, but then I read here on the forum that some folks reported improvements with both the oR and oM, particularly if the router was noisy---so I took a shot and ordered an oM while halfway around the world (and it was waiting for me when I got back).

So, still in a bit of fog but very very happy with the sound of my system.

Great job guys!

@cat6man, great to hear that you had such a nice improvement.  Here, adding the oM to my set up with the Signature Rendu SEoptical only resulted in a small increase in what I would call "purity".  Previously I was using a cheap FMC, but powered it with a very, very good ultra low noise ultra low impedance linear supply.

It is clear now from reports, that everyone's results will vary a bit, due to Network configurations.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

The ethernet cable between your switch and the first converter may or not matter. I replaced mine today from a basic Teragrand Cat 7 shielded patch cable to a Meicord Cat 6 unshielded and it seemed a bit more relaxed but hard to tell. Of course that's to an MC220L; another opticalModule should be here in a few days so will report back then what extra an oM to oM brings. Mine is a fairly populated switch and lots of computer, etc electronics  on that same circuit as well, and the switch/server closet itself sits right below the hifi (with a. floor in between). Everything does sound better at night but that could be for a lot of reasons (kids, TV's iPads, lights, and right now fans and AC).