IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

Outstanding job on your latest release Damien. I am getting hog/integer playback with my Wavelength Crimson and it seems to be working quite well.

Those of you that have the program Remote Buddy will find that the Ajax Remote works as the Apple Remote for Damien's program.

I am getting the largest soundstage from this program I have ever heard from any software. Quite remarkable.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Hi Damien,

You mentioned that Integer "goes a step further (Comes on top of Hog Mode)".

I was left wondering if Integer mode is dependent upon the Hog Mode setting.

Will Audirvana use Integer even if I have hog mode turned off?

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

Hi Damien,

On my iMac 24 with 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, I frequently get brief sound drop-outs and the red CPU flag for a bit when the automatic backup from TimeMachine starts up. After TM does its initial perusal and settles down to actually just copying files that have changed this seems to subside and play normally...its just when TimeMachine first starts up (once per hour I think) that it causes problems with Audirvana.

This is with Redbook, upsampling just to 24/44. (forced is off) Have tried some pretty low settings on the SRC slider with no change. This was happening before I got your new 0.6 version and still happens now with 0.6 and with Integer turned on.

Don't know if there is anything you could do but let me know if you need any other info.

thanks!

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

I just downloaded the new 0.6.0 version, and it's doing some very strange things. At first it was stuttering continuously. Then the stuttering stopped and it played the song, but at half speed (or at least much slower in tempo and pitch). I quit the program and started it up again, and this time it worked fine, at least for the first song I played, but when I added another song to the playlist (a different one, this time), it, too, played at half speed.

I'm using it on a MacBook Pro (2009), with 4 GB and 2.53 GHz and running it via USB into a Blue Circle Thingee DAC. I've got Audirvana set to Exclusive Access Mode and Integer Mode and 4 or 2x oversampling only. And the quality is set to "best."

The 0.5.0 version has never given me any trouble, so I was surprised to find this problem with the newer version. Anybody have any guesses as to what might be happening? Have I got it set up wrong?

The new Integer mode takes Audirvana to the next level.

Same with @Lars, the most noticeable change is soundstage layering is much better and it is wider than anything I have tried.

I'm running my DAC through a Halide Bridget which uses streamlength code and it's working fine.

Mac Mini ? Weiss DAC202 ? ML 326s ? ML 532h ? Wilson Sophia3

"I just downloaded the new 0.6.0 version, and it's doing some very strange things. At first it was stuttering continuously. Then the stuttering stopped and it played the song, but at half speed (or at least much slower in tempo and pitch). I quit the program and started it up again, and this time it worked fine, at least for the first song I played, but when I added another song to the playlist (a different one, this time), it, too, played at half speed."

The exact same thing just happened to me. However, it seemed to stop stuttering when I selected another song. Will report back if this happens again.

I'm having the same issues as Jeff in San Diego and Cherrington. Repeats even when restarted.

Audirvana set to Exclusive Access Mode and Integer Mode, Max upsampling and the quality is set to "best."

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

Sorry. Spoke too soon. Same problem here. Also, it is slowed down because it wrongly sets the sampling frequency (my 44.1 is 32) when integer mode is turned on (which was the default). Manually setting Audio MIDI to 24 bit instead of 32 bit seems to have fixed the problem.

Ok, there is something buggy going on with this version that needs immediate attention:

The first time you try to play a song, you get wrong frequency (from 44.1->33) if you open midi audio you will witness the change.

If you play this song again it will play in the correct frequency setting!

From there on it alternates from correct to something else each time you press play button. Basically you have to play-stop-play to play correctly :P

Nice changes and development but this needs a quick update.

I also noticed a bug in channels too: one .mp3 file played with only one channel(it was a podcast) but could not replicate this with other mp3s from itunes library

@jhwalker:

The script posted by "Jeff In San Diego" on 2/6/11 should do what you want. Simply assign a keyboard shortcut to the script as explained in my first post on 2/6/11. This allows you to select one or more tracks in iTunes, press the chosen keyboard shortcut, and the tracks will be copied to the Audirvana playlist.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

First of all, thanks for your great feedbacks. I really like to see I can, just with a piece of software, increase so much the SQ!

Now, regarding stability. I had to make quite large changes to the audio processing code, and the device initialization.

I feel the issue may be in this last one.

For all of you who are encountering issues (wrong sample rate, shuterring, ...), can you send me the Debug Info (Audirvana menu command when playing) and as many details you can on the circumstances (type of file, first time playing after boot/usb plugin or later, audio/midi or HALlab settings, Audirvana preferences settings, is it happening also when Integer Mode is off, ...)? That'll be of great help to pinpoint the issue.

You can send them to me by PM not to overload this thread with long debug posts BTW.

@Jeff: You may want to deactivate automated TimeMachine startup. I've not found a way to do it from my application, so for now you need to go in the System Prefs to do it. If anyone knows how to switch timemachine on/off programmatically, just tell!

TimeMachine startup just takes a terrible amount of system ressources, and that's why it creates troubles with audio playback.

I also experienced up to 10s delay to get the standard open files dialog to pop up when TimeMachine was starting!

So now I launch TimeMachine manually.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Damien,

SQ beats everything else out there!

However, 0.6.0 now gets my Mac Mini to freeze during "initializing audio device". Not everytime but when I load a new large play list.

Damien,

When loading playlist with many songs (file-add, or drag from iTunes), when press "play" it says "initializing audio device", then the computer just freeze. I can't do anything except pushing the power button to shut it down.

Not every time, but 50% of the time.

I'm using a dedicated Mac mini 2010 8GB and Halide Bridge USB/SPDIF converter to my DAC.

Your latest version sounds super detailed (like Fidelia) and at the same time organic (like Pure Music). Sound stage now extended beyond what was possible and the speakers "disappear" better than before. Bass pacing is perfect. Integer mode lives up to its promise.

My Macbook 4GB (SSD) which plays PM and Amarra memory playback just fine, stutters with any/all music in Audirvana 0.6.0. When I deselect "max i/o buffer" and restart all is well. Weird. Also, debug says "playing standard 32bit float mode"...does this mean Weiss DAC2/Minerva (firewire) doesn't do integer mode (although it's checked and hog mode is on and working)?

I applaud your great strides since I last looked at Audirvana, and want very much to hear integer mode results (no serious listening yet). Thx

Ted

I've released 0.6.1 that fixes the sample rate issue (thanks to your precise bug reports that helped me find quickly the root cause), and enables integer mode for 16bit DACs.

I'd like to hear from someone with a HiFace bridge if everything is ok, as this bridge has a different stream configuration regarding sample rate than the other devices.

@ted_b: I sent you a detailed reply in PM. But in a nutshell, Weiss DAC2 (and DAC202) don't have Integer Mode implemented in their OSX drivers.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Hi Guys, i do not have "script" folder in my iTunes folder - shall i create one ? or i suppose to have one ??

also, where can i find the scripts menu in iTunes ?

sorry for being "slow"...

thanks

q

Mac Mini i7 - Audirvana + direct mode - Bladelius Dac - Heed audio Pre+PX, PS amplifier, Heed Enigma 3SE loudspeakers

Yes, create the Scripts folder. When you relaunch iTunes, a script icon will appear to the left of the Help menu.

Referring to my 2/6/11 post, the iTunes folder in which you should create the Scripts folder is NOT the iTunes folder that contains your music or your iTunes Library file. It is a different iTunes folder in your Library folder.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Best website around!

Hi All!!!

bdiament wrote when referring to the AUDIRVANA player: "On the right side of the interface, I see the volume control, labeled 'Digital Volume'."

I am running Audirvana ver. 0.5e (0.5.4) and do not see any volume control anywhere on the interface. Can someone enlighten me?

I currently have a 2010 Mac Mini>hiFace>DacMagic>Parasound Amp. A volume control would certainly help me out with this setup until my W4S Dac2 arrives in a couple of weeks.

Thanks guys.

Rene

Oyen Digital Mini-Pro 1TB HDD->Wireworld Starlight USB cable->Auraliti PK90->W4Sound USB cable>SOtM dx-USB HD USB to SPDIF Conv.-> Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital cable->Wyred4Sound Dac2->Cardas Quadlink XLR balanced cables->Anthem 225 integrated amp->Straightwire Rhapsody S->PSB Imagine T speakers

Hi Damien,

Your a clever bastard to be able to do this.

Sound is really very very good - don't know how much I am influenced by the placebo effect but I am really enjoying your work.

One comment - the bottom rh side of the display is saying a file is 16 bit when it is 24 bit.

If I load a playlist by right clicking on folder and then "open with" audirvana the computerr freezes but it loads OK using File Load playlist from inside audirvana.

Appears that the CPU is working really hard - how do I check the load?

Thanks again .... donation on its way.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Damien,

New version works and sounds great now. All that's needed is the album art "solution"... :-).

Thanks.

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.