IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

Dear Elcorso,

Thanks for your reply - glad to hear you were only joking and have done the right thing and supported Damien financially.

You certainly do not owe me an apology, however, maybe Damien. Have another read of your comments .. do you really think they are funny?!

I am certainly not looking for a fight, I just want to make sure Damien realises how much his work is appreciated and that he doesn't get the "sh....ts" with the constant demands for this and that.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my blog.

All the best.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Damien I like better (previous) 0.6.3 sound...!

• I lose the "air" between musician.

• I lose soundstage depth.

Then, everything is upfront.

My 2 cents...

Regards, Roch

EDIT:

I'm sorry Damien, was my bad settings, as always.

Everything perfect (in my personal setup) with :

Exclusive Access Mode Checked

Interger mode Unchecked

The best computer music player: Audirvana

Kind regards,

Roch

Dear Ajax,

Thanks for your very well designed blog, I really enjoy the format.

Regarding :.. do you really think they are funny? The only thing I can tell you is, I am a Provolone and Roquefort cheese mix, then my sense of humor may differ from yours. But the only common denominator in this forum is the love and passion for music.

I already apologized to Damien in my previous reply, he deserved it. I'm also in communication with him (by private messages), and he is always very kind and helpfully.

@JS21 I believe a lot of music players app's doesn't like artwork in JPEG (JPG) format (only iTunes), like when you add the artwork in iTunes by downloading a JPG from Amazon, and add it to a music track or album. Artwork on PNG format, works OK in most of the app's.

@wgscott No more jokes, please!

The best for you also and kind regards,

Roch

elcorso,

Converted a few artworks to PNG but still did not show.

Does the converted artwork have to be in a specific folder???

Weird how the one album art that shows, is in JPG format.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

JS21,

Last night I downloaded an album from Linn Records, was on FLAC format, and the album artwork was in a file in .PNG format.

I converted it to AIF with MAX and added to iTunes.

Opened iTunes, since the album has no artwort, I selected the album, under File -> Get Info (or Command i). Then in the empty space for artwork made a double click, this opens the finder, choose the artwork for this album, and every thing OK. Closed iTunes.

Then I opened Audirvana, drop the folder from iTunes library in to Audirvana window, play the album, and there was the artwork!

In WAV file format you can't add artwork (at least under iTunes).

Hope this help you.

Regards,

Roch

Bonjour,

Je viens de vous envoyer une contribution par la voie de PayPal.

Je trouve extraordinaire le son qui émane de votre logiciel Audirvana et non moins extraordinaire votre interface qui de plus accepte la télécommande Apple Remote Control.

À ma grande surprise, je peux utiliser les listes de lecture de ma bibliothèque iTunes en les glissant et les déposant dans votre fenêtre "Playlist". Je peux également faire une recherche de morceaux dans ma bibliothèque iTunes ou dans une de ses listes de lecture et déposer le fruit de ma recherche dans la fenêtre "Playlist" de Audirvana.

Cependant je voudrais vous faire quelques suggestions:

1 - ajouter une fonction "Aléatoire" dans la fenêtre "Playlist" de Audirvana. En passant, la "Reprise" (flèche tournée sur elle-même) ne fonctionne pas;

2 - permettre à l'interface d'occuper la pleine largeur de l'écran et la demi hauteur du même écran comme on peut le faire avec la fenêtre "Playlist";

3 - assurer le défilement de chacune des quatre (4) lignes donnant les coordonnées du morceau à l'écoute quand bien sûr ces dernières dépassent la largeur de la fenêtre de l'interface;

4 - fournir une aide ou un manuel en langue française.

Je vous remercie et bon succès.

P.S. Vous allez remplacer avantageusement Front Row (partie Musique) de Mac Os X Lion avec Audirvana.

anyone know what might cause the constant CPU Over message?

I turned Integer mode off and Max I/IO Buffer is set to on.

Sample Rate conversion is set to Apple Core Audio.

I played a 24/96 Apple Lossless file and made it through the first 4 mins of a song with no problems. After that it constantly skipped the rest of the song.

Should I quit all of my other open programs? I have 2.5 GB of RAM in my MacBook, so I figure that should be enough!

Cheers-

Kevin

Downloaded the latest version (0.7.1) in the wee hours Sunday morning at 0300 heures. By 0500 just before sunrise , I was blind. While that may be overstating things a bit, the Player was very difficult on my eyes.

Overall, 0.7.1 sounds very nice with my tube amp. However, I do find on some tracks the micro details for background instruments and rhythm section to be muted as well as recessed. Not all, but some piano, synths, and rhythm guitar notes...

It sounds like this is due to equalization. Using player sans plug-ins. With the other software players for OS.X, these sounds are recessed but can be heard with clarity.

But then, Audirvana is more dynamic than the other players, so... 0.7.1 it is! Well then, let's book another listening session tonight for driven | by sound.

driven | by sound - \"bats & audiophiles\"[br]

Roch,

Thanks again for the example. It's just not working for me. Tried and tried but over my head. Even re-ripped a few albums...maybe fix so simple that I'm just not seeing it :-(.

No WAV files for me, all AIFF( ripped CDs) except for the one album downloaded from HD tracks(artwork in JPG file).

Jose.

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

I have been using jaikoz - a shareware "tagger" that lets you embed "artwork" plus edit everything else. Quite impressive -- and the "embedding" of artwork works - ie it shows up in Audirvana with flac, alu etc.

url: http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/

The "demo" version lets you do twenty (20) tracks in one session -- which seems to be more than enough to cover one "album".

It can also automatically add the tracks to iTunes as well, but I have this disabled by choice.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Yep - but the "demo" is not time limited as well -- have used XLD, but like jaikoz as it displays all the tracks at once - far easier to cut & paste, were as, XLD seems to do it on a per track basis, ie editing one track at a time. Of course it may be that I ain't using XLD the correct way :-)

Guess it boils down to personal choice. Surprised though by the trouble some are having in getting artwork to show up though. Haven't had any issues at all - regardless of the method (ie "embedded" by iTunes, or external editor). Though with iTunes, I always copy the artwork to every track regardless, and 99.5% of the time, it's a "jpeg" I am using for the artwork.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

The problem comes in because some iTunes tracks, like those purchased via iTunes, have the art embedded in the individual files. Others have just one copy of the artwork in an iTunes album art cache that is associated with the track within the iTunes database but is not readily available to other software.

JS21, if i-tunes is showing a copy of the album art then the only method I have found which seems to guarantee success for me is to open the first track of the album in Get Info, take a copy of the album art, then select the rest of the tracks, open Get Info, and paste in the album art in to the little Album Art box in the bottom right corner and close the tracks.

If i-tunes cannot locate the correct album art, take a jpeg from the web and then open Get Info for all tracks and paste in the image.

This seems to work for AIFF in i-tunes.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

David,

Thanks, but it's also a no-go.... :(

Hello, Damien. Please tell, how big is loadable playlist can be? When i try to load big (>30gb) playlist one-time, Audirvana quits out. So i don't have the ability to load, for example, all library, or big folders for big time playing.

I figured it out. I opened the original Itunes folder "got info" and compared files. It looks like every CD I burned, download as an "aif" file instead of "aiff", according to the extension. I added the "f" and voila!!! Now i just have to add the "f" to about a thousand+ more songs...

Anyone know why/how that may have happened?

I loaded yesterday in one step (open the root folder for my rippeds CDs) a 2500 tracks, 48GB playlist. And before it ended, I hit the play button and had it finishing the playlist loading with music.

but I have 4GB, I've not measured mem footprint.

In theory it should be very small (only storing title, filename and length info).

@JS21: This is the iTunes "optimization" of album art files issue. This is something I'll implement with the library effort. In the meantime, you can either use the above suggested solutions, or place the album art as a "folder.jpg" file in the same folder as the album.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

@iamoneagain, and all those who hear glitches between tracks, can you give more details on the type of files you use, and if there is a SRC ongoing when you play them ?

Without using upsampling (have not tried with), I have perfect gapless playback. I truncated a mix I did in several tracks, and it plays as a single flow, with no other clue than the visual info that the track has changed...

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

"Place the album art as a "folder.jpg" file in the same folder as the album."

That's what I use and I believe all music players except for those dependent on iTunes recognize the album art.

Because of it's proprietary database, album art in iTunes can be a pain if you are not consistent with the way the iTunes does things. Apple could easily overcome these difficulties if it choose to do so. I have little regard for a program that refuses to do something so simple and infinity more efficient for the computer to do. Instead some users often have to manually get album art from the Internet or use third part software.

OTOH, iTunes' approach makes sense in that each track belonging to an album will always have the album art associated with it - even if you move the track out of the directory, choose only to keep a couple of tracks out of an album, place it into a playlist, or only buy a track or two to start with.

Personally, I prefer having the album art included in the file (as iTunes does) rather than having to worry about whether or not I have an extra image file I have to schlep around with my music files. I make updating the album art part of my post-rip clean up activities, just like correcting the track names / numbers, choosing the correct music genre, etc.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

1. you have ever received an iTunes message telling you that album artwork cannot be found you know this sucks

2. you have ever seen incorrect artwork associated with the album you just ripped making you think WTF

3. you tired of seeing numerous instances of the album artwork associated with each track instead of one instance of album art for each album

then you should realize that almost all other media players handle album art much better.

I have several thousand albums in digital format and all of them have album artwork that is correct and located in the album directory along with the audio files. All I want is for iTunes to recognize this graphic artwork like every other player I know. I don’t want any post-rip clean up activities, like correcting the track names / numbers, choosing the correct music genre, or updating album art. My digital music library is perfect already with no work required for CD rips. DVD-A rips are another story.

I have several other iTunes complaints beyond the handling of artwork which only adds to why I’m not fond of the program. But if iTunes is perfect for you, great I’m not here to change your mind.

I don't feel like adding an "f" to every file, so I'm going to try one of the other solutions.