IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

I started a thread a while back on sharing playlists between various computer audio players.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Sharing-music-playlists

The problem I may have with Audirvana is that it seems to only support iTunes playlists (m3u & m3u8 formats) load/save. If that's true, then the independent Audirvana is quite dependent on iTunes. To quote myself:

Obviously I don't speak for everyone, but I have no interest in the m3u playlists.

I just took a look at the playlists in iTunes and MediaMonkey. First of all, I looked all over for the playlist files on my hard drive until I realized that the playlists are internal to the programs and need to be exported if you want to do something outside of the program.

What a pain. At least in XXHighEnd and cPlay the playlists and cue sheets are standalone files that do not need to be exported or imported. I guess it is similar to looking for the album cover art in XXHighEnd - the artwork is in the album folder and can easily be copied or edited outside of XXHighEnd. Whereas the same is true for MediaMonkey, the album artwork can be a real pain in iTunes.

Anyway I looked at the exported playlists from MediaMonkey and iTunes and all I can say is what a mess. There is no comparison to the logical and well organized cue file sample that I posted earlier. I guess if you have some program that does all the importing, exporting or manipulating and hides the mess, then no problem. Whereas I could create a cue file from scratch without using cPlayList Editor, I wouldn't even try to create an iTunes or MediaMonkey playlist without using the programs. [End Quote]

Could you consider using the cPlayList Editor that Alan Jordan developed as a standalone playlist creator?

http://www.alanjordan.org/CPlayListEditor.html

Is the playlist editor windows only? It looks like it from my glance at the web page. If so, I humbly suggest that a better direction for a Mac only application would be to support what commonly is found on OS x. In particular, OS X playlists have unix style rather than dos file paths. Conformity to platform requirements and open standards strike me as more important goals.

Personally, I find that being able to use it in coordination with iTunes to be a huge advantage, and many thanks to Bob Stern for showing us how.

I see now it is java, but in my experience that isn't synonymous with cross platform, and it doesn't support AIFF Alac. Or other Apple type audio files.

This would be a wrong turn in my humble opinion unless I messed something.

This update seems a little buggy. I tried uncheck max i/o buffer size and still have a slight click between tracks. Seems it may be less than when box is checked but still noticeable. Decibel is perfect in this regard. I also noticed hog mode is no longer working. I can still play iTunes while Audirvana is open.

Other bugs mentioned before, track title missing from player. All tracks show up as 16 bit. Not sure if that's how it's actually outputting.

Also the remote app script was acting funny too. When I was dragging a single track into the playlist it graps the whole album. At one point I didn't have an album selected so it started loading up all tracks that followed. I used toggle script to turn off and it fixed it.

Hope bugs get worked out since this became my favorite player soundwise. I found Decibel to be the best as far as bug free. I was originally with Amarra but they also have some bugs that were getting in the way of enjoying my music.

Hello

I like the new interface. I am not getting the 24/16 bug. I load a 24/96 track and the display indicates it's a 24/96 file playing at 24/96. The USB DACs control panel indicates 24/96 and audio midi setup indicates 24/96.

Problem 1: First track in this folder at 24/96 crashes Audirvana at 5 seconds in every time. It plays till it gets to the 5 second mark then crashes the program. The rest of the tracks play fine. I checked the file in COG and it plays through fine.

Problem 2: With Exclusive Access / Hog mode selected computer crashes. If I select HOG I can load tracks, but as soon as I hit play my Macbook gives me a message ... in 5 different languages :-) that I must restart my computer. uncheck HOG mode and everything is fine.

MacBook OS X 10.6.6 2.4 GHz 2GB Ram ->

USB -> Emu 0404

Use max buffer unchecked

No upsampling

Max memory allocated 768 MB

Here's the debug info. I can't seem to copy the text in the OSX window I get when Audirvana crashes.

Audirvana rev. 0.7.0 debug information:

Currently playing in standard 32bit float mode

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float, 8 bytes per frame @96.0kHz

Hog Mode is off

Devices found : 4

List of devices:

Device #0: ID 0x10f Built-in Output UID:Built-in Output

Device #1: ID 0x108 E-MU 0404 | USB UID:E-MU 0404 | USB

Device #2: ID 0x104 Soundflower (2ch) UID:Soundflower (2ch)

Device #3: ID 0x101 Soundflower (16ch) UID:Soundflower (16ch)

Selected device:

ID 0x108 E-MU 0404 | USB UID:E-MU 0404 | USB

4 available sample rates up to 96000.0Hz

Audio buffer frame size : 29 to 4608 frames

Current I/O buffer frame size : 1024

Physical (analog) volume control: Yes

Virtual (digital) volume control: Yes

Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2

Simple stereo device: yes

Channel mapping: L:Stream 0 channel 0 R:Stream 0 channel 1

1 output streams:

Stream ID 0x10a 2 channels starting at 1

8 virtual formats:

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @96.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @88.2kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @48.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @44.1kHz

Non-PCM format: cac3

8 physical formats

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @96.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @88.2kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @48.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @44.1kHz

I've made a quick release to fix the small recent bugs:

[*]Apple lossless files bitdepth is now displayed correctly (e.g. 24bit)

[*]Song title visible again, and darker for increased contrast

And I've updated the song info lines order to place the composer just under song title.

FYI, I've made no change in the audio processing code since 0.6.3.

Regarding the UI, my plan is to have two modes: one for use when playing: the current CD player, and a library mode (iTunes like, with small playback controls on top) for browsing, selecting, updating metadata, ... with iTunes database access, and folders crawling.

Anyway, for the moment, my objective is to first stabilize the application before introducing new important features.

And any detailed bug reports with how to reproduce procedure for the issues you have will help me quickly fix them.

And as my available spare time for development is limited, any developer willing to help is welcome. That's the opensource model BTW...

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Damien,

While the display of Audirvana shows 24/96, it seems to still force the Audio MIDI format into 16/96. It also affects any other players starter after Audirvana is shut down, as it makes the 16/96 in audio midi persist and it takes several program restarts (or a computer restart or PRAM reset) to fix. So it seems there is still an issue. Thanks.

Hello

I reported a few posts up that Hog mode would force an OS X system crash requiring a computer reboot/restart when Hog mode is selected. Upon further testing I realized it does not crash from Hog mode alone, but only when Integer mode is also selected. So this could be a DAC specific problem. With Integer mode selected I can start Audirvana and load tracks, but as soon as I hit play I get a message that I must restart my computer, I can do nothing but do a hard reboot with the power button. OS X does not produce a crash report.

Here's the debug info, after Integer mode is unchecked...

Audirvana rev. 0.7.1 debug information:

Currently playing in standard 32bit float mode

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float, 8 bytes per frame @96.0kHz

Hog Mode is on

Devices found : 4

List of devices:

Device #0: ID 0x10f Built-in Output UID:Built-in Output

Device #1: ID 0x108 E-MU 0404 | USB UID:E-MU 0404 | USB

Device #2: ID 0x104 Soundflower (2ch) UID:Soundflower (2ch)

Device #3: ID 0x101 Soundflower (16ch) UID:Soundflower (16ch)

Selected device:

ID 0x108 E-MU 0404 | USB UID:E-MU 0404 | USB

4 available sample rates up to 96000.0Hz

Audio buffer frame size : 14 to 3072 frames

Current I/O buffer frame size : 512

Physical (analog) volume control: Yes

Virtual (digital) volume control: Yes

Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2

Simple stereo device: yes

Channel mapping: L:Stream 0 channel 0 R:Stream 0 channel 1

1 output streams:

Stream ID 0x10a 2 channels starting at 1

14 virtual formats:

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @96.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @88.2kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @96.0kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @88.2kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @48.0kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @44.1kHz

14 physical formats

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @96.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @88.2kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @96.0kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer @88.2kHz

Normally it logs kernel panics.

You can find these log files in

/Library/Logs

I think it is usually in a subdirectory called Panic, IIRC.

I'm not seeing this with the Built-In audio interface (the only thing I have access to at the moment).

Does your DAC require drivers to be installed?

@bulmanxxi,

I think this is a problem of most of the music player app's!

I can't never get the sound I like from some app after playing from another, even after a computer restart. Some settings from an app affects the settings and sound of another different app, even if (some) developers says NO.

Sometimes I have to "Restart" the Mac (or "Shut Down" & "Boot" again) and even has to do "Permissions Repair", and in some app's have to delete his "Preferences File", this is boring...!!!

Happy listening,

Roch

He mentioned something to me in an email about this being a really busy week for him at his "real job".

I've been having Integer Mode panics as well. I think Damien has a little more work to do on Integer to make it solid. He's planning to focus on stability in the short term.

I'm running it now with the Debugger in Integer mode hoping to catch it in the act to help out. I would suggest anyone else who's having panics to switch back to regular (floating point) mode until Damien gets this sorted out.

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

You are right, but remember those "numbers" (bits & bytes) are playing the music!

Really I can't enjoy music this way anymore, then should I return to iTunes, or play only reglar CD'S & SACD's?

Some app's developers run in order to get his "baby" as a winner, trying to improve it at us beta tester time expense, or even worst payed testers...

I'm today on a very bad Moon Phase, should I wear your helmet?

Or maybe is because tomorrow I will be 99 years old?

By the way, your listening recommendation in music: "....." is great, where can I get it in 24/96 (but real HD, please)?

Cheers!

Roch

I installed the most recent version of Audirvana and am not getting any sound from the player. I set it to use my Built In Mac output and Apple Core Audio as the Sample Rate Converter.

While trying to play a track, I go into the Audio Midi settings and it says Soundflower is currently the default output at 32/44.1, which I did not set that way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

I think most users will have better results switching back to version 0.6d until Damien has time to hunt down these new problems.

If you use TimeMachine backups, that is the easiest way to go back to the earlier version. Just quit Audirvana app. Select the app in the Finder. Start up the "TimeMachine" app, then hit the "back" button until you get back to version 0.6d (which I think was the last version that worked really well for me). Then hit the "Restore" button.

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

Dear Elcorso,

I find your earlier comments offensive and childish.

Quote:

"Really I can't enjoy music this way anymore, then should I return to iTunes, or play only reglar CD'S & SACD's?

Some app's developers run in order to get his "baby" as a winner, trying to improve it at us beta tester time expense, or even worst payed testers..."

I can visualise you stamping your foot as you say this.

Understand that Audirvana is a FREE open source player, which is being developed gratis by Damien for everyone's music pleasure.

He wouldn't be doing it if iTunes wasn't so limiting in sound quality, inability to automatically change sample rates or play the most popular universal codec ...FLAC. Audirvana does all this and more.

The idea of open source is that we all contribute by either helping him to write the code, support him financially through donations, or give him positive and negative feedback on issues... hopefully those without any technical knowledge, and who are using and enjoying his FREE player, will do 2 and 3 as a matter of decency.

Either do one or these three things or do as you suggest - go back to your CDs and iTunes with all its problems.

It's the Damiens of the world that create real improvements in the way we listen to music as well as freedom from being held hostage to the platforms of the mega corporations such as Microsoft or Apple.

I personally have had no issues with Audirvana and find it a revelation in sound quality ... if you study this thread you will find most problems (not all) are related to the various forms of DACs he has to cater for, and constant personal requests from people wanting this and that, more so than any real issues with the software itself.

Your doing a great job Damien ... we are all behind you except for only a few that don't get it and never will.

Enjoy your CDs Elcorso.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Dear Ajax,

First of all I was joking with @wgscott, and was a reply to him!

Sometimes I forget that I'm in an open forum, forgetting also the thread tittle, in this case related to Audirvana.

I know very well the beta testing, meaning "feedback" (to and from the developer).

I didn't stated Audirvana specifically. My own written words: "Some app's developers run in order to get his "baby" as a winner, trying to improve it at us beta tester time expense, or even worst payed testers..." I have paid the fees for 2 expensive app's and got a lot of software failures, that way I'm still feeling a "beta tester" for something I paid for. I will not state de app's name, since this may be "offensive" for somebody in this forum. But if you read some threads in the forum you will find it, and nobody state that this complains are offensive!

I like very much Audirvana and already gave a generous donation to Damien by PayPal. Also I gave feedback to him, and he replies me on a very short time. But with my donation my only intention was to stimulate Damien, not expecting nothing more than that, meaning with this: With not exigencies, nor complains.

If I need to apologize, I do apologize to Damien, but to nobody else.

Regarding yourself, you too should have a look in the mirror, since your sense of humor is inexistent. But somebody already warn me to get away from discussions, make comments or statements on some audio forums, because there are always some members trying to establish a fight!

I'm going to enjoy music right now, happy listening,

Roch