IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

On 12/23/2018 at 6:13 AM, hifi25nl said:

New menu version 0.8! 

If you have installed audiolinux 0.7 or updated manually to the new menu you can update it from Update menu.

Now you can mount easier a local or network drive with a script .

Mount scripts are in a beta stage, please use with care.

For network mount you must install first nmap

pacman -S nmap

menu_0.8.jpg

menu_0.8-2.jpg

This isn't working for me.  I have a Lexar USB stack of SDXC memory cards. I can see the two "drives" sdb and sdc when I use the menu local mount option.

I enter sdb1, yes for a second drive, sdc1 for the second drive, exit, then enable Roonserver to run. Normally at this point with LXQT I find the attached music

drives in the media folder (linux1/linux2 or windows1/windows2 but I'm not seeing anything in any of the folders in this directory. What step am I missing?

Running extreme mode, boot to RAM on NUC7pjyh

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

28 minutes ago, rickca said:

I got my NUC7PJYH to boot with an LPS-1.2 set to 12V.  All I did was disable SpeedStep, SATA and onboard audio.

The interesting thing is it works with an LPS-1.2 if I use the two USB3 ports in the rear for my USB flash drive and the USB cable to my DAC.  If I use a rear USB3 port for the USB cable to my DAC, but a front USB3 port for the USB flash drive, the NUC will not boot with the LPS-1.2.

Actually, the USB cable goes to a Berkeley Alpha USB which uses bus power only for the dirty input side.

the yellow port allows more current for USB charging, disabling USB charging will likely eliminate the front/back difference

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 12/24/2018 at 6:45 PM, hifi25nl said:

Updated and fixed some problems in mount scripts. Now menu is version 081

Merry Christmas!

I can see that the script now creates folders for the mounts in media directory but doing a disk status from the menu still showed no mount point. I ended up manually

editing fstab to add the UUID statements with linux1 and linux2 mount points.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

14 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

You can check the just made mounts with the command

mount

Modifications to /etc/fstab will not be saved if you are in ram mode, even if you select save system. 

I suggest to boot in normal mode if you want to configure drive mount. 

I will add an explanation in the next version. 

you may also want to elaborate on ramroot remove vs ramroot disable. Menu doesn't properly recognize ramroot is not running if you use disable.

I did try a second time from clean boot, before any call to use ramroot, had same result.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Piero,

Just to clarify.

I need to edit the sshd_config file using Nano or whatever to permit root login.

And then I can use WINSCP but change the user to root?

Same password or audiolinux0 ?

Cheers,

Alan

the first time you use WINSCP it walks you through login. Is it possible you logged in the first time without using root login? I have had no issues editing configuration

files. I just did a search also for this file, I only see a compressed file by that name, possibly because I have no HD/SSD in an endpoint device?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

wanted to play with LMS since some were reporting it can be made to sound better than Roon with buffer settings. I can get Squeezelite to work but when I use the menu in 083 version to install R2 version and enable, I can see "audiolinux@squeezelite" enabled with "Show Audio Services" but its not running as an audio service or application.

Is there a step I missed with R2 that's different from Squeezelite enablement?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, User471 said:

For those of you using NUCs, from a hardware perspective why do you think they are capable of outperforming bespoke kit like SoTM and Sonore?

It seems counterintuitive to me that a general purpose board like the NUC, once power supply issues are addressed, is there or thereabouts in SQ terms with kit very specifically designed to do one job well

I don't have an NUC personally, but I don't doubt for one moment those who claim wonderful things from them. I'm just intrigued as to why it might be so

Boggles me too but I see these unique factors

1) AL itself running in RAM along with the endpoint player software

2) the ability to eliminate all attached media drives at the endpoint , even the USB boot drive after load to RAM... this floored me

when removing the USB drive after boot sounded better

and apparently as off the shelf product, Intel NUC has better performing hardware integration than other NUC like products, with or without added hi-tech USB hardware.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, User471 said:

My endpoint (not a NUC but a mini-ITX based fanless box I put together myself with x2 Teddy Pardo PSUs, one to he mobo, one to the SoTM USB card) still has an M2 card in it from the days before I ran AL

I take my USB out and run RAM-Extreme, but should the M2 come out too?

NUC with RAM only is the desired config for streaming endpoint.  Even if  not used, a connected drive is  still electrically active, and the CPU is interacting with it.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 1/24/2019 at 12:49 PM, User471 said:

An AL question if I may?

Currently my Roonserver runs Debian 9/Webmin and has a mirrored software RAID 1 (4TB) with all my toonz with the OS on an SSD

If I move to running Roonserver on AL I'm guessing I lose the RAID array, so am I correct that even if I setup such an array from CLI in AL (assuming my ArchLinux skills are up to snuff) I'll lose all the data and have to start from scratch??

isn't raid setup in PC BIOS? Or did that change with UEFI?

Never mind, I see that you did it in software vs BIOS

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, User471 said:

I briefly tried LXQT AL as a server this weekend and the good news is that the RAID array was seen and mounted correctly automagically under /run if I remember correctly 

Due to the amount of time it was taking rebuilding my Ronn DB from 4TB of music I bailed but might try again with headless AL to free resources and see if it works

I use AL as an endpoint and it's excellent. What are the theoretical advantages of using AL at the server end though? 

The empirical result for me was  that it made a bigger difference using AL for Roon server vs PC/Win10/Fidelizer Pro than switching from microRendu to NUC/AL endpoint.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 minutes ago, User471 said:

Worth the time and effort then

I will report back my impressions

One thing occurs, using AL in Roonserver mode booted off a USB (maybe even as ramroot) where is the Roon DB stored?

Thats why you need extra RAM beyond just whats required to run AL... the DB  gets stored in RAM.  You also have to remember to do a RAM save before rebooting/shutting down AL,

else your Roon  changes/history wont be saved and if a Roon software update is pending you should not boot to RAM so that all the changes are made to the source USB drive onetime vs having to update the RAM image every time. So more complex to manage but well worth it.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 hours ago, bobfa said:

Audiolinux has already a ramsave periodic option.

You can start/enable it (as root) with the commands

systemctl start ramsave.timer

systemctl enable ramsave.timer

The default is every 30 min. You can change it editing the /etc/systemd/system/ramsave.timer

•  

the only wrinkle being that if you are running AL endpoint with the USB drive removed after boot, there won't be a media drive to save to. What happens if the drive isn't there, i.e. can you just insert it later for unattended save?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system