IGNORED

My best demo albums

On 8/9/2018 at 9:15 AM, Blackmorec said:

Imagine that next week you are getting a visit from a couple of Hi-Fi News editors

I'm sure they wouldn't come for free... To get even, I'd bore them to death with a CD I have of music from Laos or perhaps I'd just download a High Res version of a Jean-Michel Jarre album.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I didn't think I had implied that they were. But it certainly possible that they can be. I do own the original cd and could certainly buy a track to check things out, as you noted. I just got excited about the new remastering when I heard a portion of a radio interview where Holly Cole talked about the new remasterings capturing a purer sound for these recordings than she had heard before. Of course, as we know, singers and/or musicians are not always even the best judges of their own music in this regard.

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

Let's hope they do better than the one I showed, which was supposed to be "Holly Cole - Temptation (Studio Master, Official Digital Download 24Bit 96Khz) It was a blatant rip off from the SACD master , as can be seen from it's noise profile, and with no content to even 22KHZ ! :o

I am very fond of Tom Waits' music and I bougth Holly Cole's album after reading about it in a newspaper review.

Found it over-stylised and emotionally a bit dead. It reminded me of unavoidable torture sessions with Krells & Pigeons & Barbies of audio shows.

Demo music allright, but couldn't listen to it for pleasure and ended up selling it...

I do have maybe a handful of audiophile recordings which I use for evaluation purposes (one of them is of two loudspeaker designers talking in an anechoic chamber) but long gone is the time when I used to listen ad nauseam to the same three or five audiophile-approved tracks trying to indentify changes that resulted from all the fruitless fiddling and tweaking.

How nice it feels to be free...

For a show off piece I suggest playing this vibrant jazz track LOUD, though beware that when it comes to system performance it'll sort the men from the boys ? (video not available in Europe for some reason):

Europeans can listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56KtmUqQIYk

10 hours ago, fas42 said:

I was just reminded of one that was practically worn out by us, from repeated playing ...

At solid volume levels, this is magical stuff - huge spaces, tremendous impact; there is so much going on ... I remember listening to this at an audiophile's home with huge, very heavy speakers, Krell amplifier - it sounded a disasterous mess, miles from getting anything right ...

I won't go into the artistic merits or their absence f JMJ's music.

But from a sonic perspective, as I've described in my previous post where I defined observationist sound assessment through listening, using his music to evaluate sound is like using Nemo to evaluate video instead of a National Geographic documentary...

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

The conflicts in what you are saying are right there - Jarre is "difficult to reproduce because of its complexity (you can have (multiple) voices playing different things simultaneously) and extreme dynamic swings"; if a rig can "handle" Zoolook then reproducing orchestral and choral with a " hundred instruments and as many voices" is a pushover - the 'grandeur' of what you hear from those two different styles of music is of the same order, no matter what one may think of the 'artistic merit'.

I confess my ignorance regarding JMJ's music, having probably heard just a couple of tracks back in the day. But if I remember correctly his vocals would have been recorded in a studio and probaly close-, multi-mic'ed. He was also very fond of the synthesiser. If this is true, then I think you have missed some of my points.

We've agreed before that we have different goals and expectations: I strive for an as flat and wide as possible frequency response, both of which seem secondary to you.

I also don't believe that you can achieve the loudness levels you have reported with a pair of small budget standmounts without producing high levels of some types of distortions which I'd find very objectionable.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

FR has also shown to be of a low order of importance - if the quality is there, the mind compensates beautifully, for variations; exposure to a full blown DEQX demo indicated no benefit to getting the FR "right" - the flaws in the playback were still obvious.

FR imbalance is a flaw in the playback. It is you who have chose to give it a low order of importance.