IGNORED

Concert Hall sound

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, STC said:

I was referring to the sense of space. Almost, all of my favs concert hall like sound were made in Church. Naturally, organ sounds best with long RT.

Yeah, I figured so.  I really enjoy the warm, enveloping sound but it is not ideal for most music as the long RT muddies the details.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

9 hours ago, STC said:

In a room, we cannot increase or decrease the RT according to the music that requires manipulation of the walls around us to control the RT for each recording. 

True but you can impose the RT of the recording on a room with a short RT with multichannel recording/playback.

Kal Rubinson

11 hours ago, STC said:

Why not just use headphones? They will sound alike irrespective of the room acoustics. 

And consistently distort the acoustical presentation unless one uses something like the Smyth Realiser (see another thread).

Kal Rubinson

30 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Of course if you had the coin, you could buy one of those beautiful Altec Lansing oiled-walnut Danish modern cadenza-like system with the curved "panoramic" front on it called the Paragon.

Not Altec Lansing but James B. Lansing, iirc.  A friend of mine had one and it wore its age gracefully.

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Yeah, you're right. It was gorgeous piece of modern furniture. And it still looks good. But how did it sound? I've never heard one. 

I am afraid that my exposure to it was too long ago for any substantive recall.  I do remember it sounding better than I expected at the time.

Kal Rubinson

9 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Fas42 said

"This obsession with technical issues of artificially enhancing a sense of space during playback is a dead end - human hearing does all what's necessary to "bring recordings to life" if the SQ is of a high enough standard ..."

9 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Fas42 said

"The advantage of using the high integrity of the direct sound method... Adding rear sound actively is another method of pushing our hearing systems over the hurdle of accepting an illusion - the trouble with this is that every recording is different, and what works for one won't for others."

New evidence to support my decision to "ignore" Fas42.  

Kal Rubinson