IGNORED

Consensus about upsampling to 512 DSD

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I'm using ASDM7 with it, but the performance doesn't change much with ASDM5 either. I would say S2 and micro iDSD BL are on roughly same ballpark. But certainly have different sonic characteristics.

501 quite a bit like running micro iDSD BL at DSD128.

T+A is quite different, being discrete (non-DAC-chip) design for DSD inputs and certainly among the best performers at DSD512.

Out of curiosity, have you compared the T+A and Pavel's sonics at DSD512?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

2 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

It did not work for me.  That does not mean it will not work for anyone else.  Grace M9xx DAC on Win & Mac.

What software? It's not as if all upsampling is the same. It isn't by a long stretch. Even then it comes down to the right filter choice. If you did your upsampling with something like iTunes, your answer would come as no surprise. In that you state the DAC and operating system and not the upsampling software indicates that you may not have delved too deeply.

Forrest:

9 minutes ago, firedog said:

No way to prove any of this. A tiny amount of the people who read the site even post. So the poll would only be an unscientific proof of what a fraction of a percent of audiophiles prefer. 

Not to pick on you firedog as I actually think you are a very reasonable poster even when we disagree.  I think that you and others are not really answering the question he is actually asking, but getting hung up by his initial premise. His questions are about PCM>DSD512 software. If one hasn't played around with it, there is little one can add here. I am not suggesting that you haven't, but that he did have a question despite the poor way it was presented.

Forrest:

34 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, you are sort of right. But why does the initial question have to phrased in terms of a false premise about it being  "the best SQ possible". There isn't a consensus and won't be, and if even if there was, there's no way to establish it.

I don't understand why people can't just accept that we have different ideas about what sounds good; or that our idea of what sounds best can change with different playback equipment. 

There's a consensus among the people that already like it better that it is better.

Why not just ask in a non pejorative way what the people who upsample to DSD 512 think is the best way to do it? 

Agreed. FWIW, my interest here is because the topic is DSD512. As much as I love beer and music, I ignore beerandmusic.

Forrest:

22 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Thanks for this information, especially about Audirvana also supporting DSD upsampling.  I understand they now make a windows product and it may be worth trying.  I own jriver and hqplayer already, but i don't care for the interface of either one....and i have no interest in buying a "subscription based product" (roon), besides it seems hqplayer is better than roon for sq, which i already own.  This is the kind of information i was seeking.

MusicBee can be a library front end for HQPlayer. It is a great inexpensive product for general use, and works great with HQPlayer. It doesn't have Tidal though.

Drag and drop works well too.

Forrest:

29 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

now this sounds interesting...i have seen musicbee before and i liked it's simplistic interface....can you provide step-by-step how to configure it to work with hqplayer?

No it has been awhile, read the manual. It is not hard if I can do it. It is cheap and works great as I recall. If no other option becomes available (that's a hint bibo), I intend to go back to it when my Roon subscription is up. I'm not going to sugar coat it, I hate the way Roon works, and even more so their pushing of MQA. I am just going to give up streaming PCM>DSD.

Forrest: