IGNORED

Audiophilia Syndrome

3 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I listen and tweak and listen some more. That makes me an audiophile. 

You read the spec sheet and think it tells the whole story. That makes you not an audiophile. 

you sound a LOT like GUTBS troll

I have no idea where you got the notion I think a spec. sheet tells the whole story -- maybe your unicorn whispered it into your ear?

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

People who believe that it's all just ones and zeroes, expensive cables are foolish, competently designed equipment (amps, cd players, etc.) all sound the same, and double blind testing is the only standard, do not want to be called audiophiles, and mostly use the term pejoratively. That sentiment comes across clearly in the OP.

ok, muffy - I am not paid to teach anymore, but here is some education for you, gratis

Digital audio IS just ones and zeroes (of course, it has to be turned into analog)

expensive cables ARE foolish - you can get different sounds from inexpensive cables however

competently designed equipment (amps, .... etc.) SHOULD all sound the same - but tube gear often has a euphonic coloration (which I like)

double blind testing is the only standard - that fully controls for expectation bias

sentiment - I am not that sentimental, esp. with respect to gear

I am not going to be able to give you much help in getting a basic working knowledge of the modern world over the internet, but I hope you can find something useful to do with your degree in the deconstructivist basket-weaving of the Azahar tribe in mid16th century Kuwhutistan and its effect on non-polar gender dynamics.

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

It's my understanding that USB determines whether it's a 1 or a 0 by changes in voltage. While I don't personally believe that I hear differences in USB cables, if that's true, it leaves open to me at least the possibility that there could be differences.

the real issue with USB is noise transmission & the need for galvanic isolation