IGNORED

Article: dCS Rossini DAC Review

13 hours ago, wdw said:

Is a mystery why a review about a new DAC brought out this stuff.  First the endless posts about a speaker with a topology from 1950’s then this aggression about cost.....sheesh!

not sure what Chris could do without a heavy hand which may cause more ill will than order.

I do not know enough to have an opinion on Amir's critique of the TADs, but I thought his posts were relevant and interesting--if the reference system is flawed, can the review be valid?  Is any single reference system sufficient?

I agree that posts that are a critique of the very existence of the thread are counterproductive and should not be entertained.

7 hours ago, Priaptor said:

But Peter, his comments were using an assumption that just aren't true.  The TADs CR1 are wonderful speakers, so good that they have stood the test of time and unlike the Magico and Wilson merry go round, haven't had to be upgraded every other month.  His preamp and amp are also top notch.  It is not as though he is testing the Rossini in a sub-optimal system where he can't extract all that the Rossini has to offer.

I can't speak for his setup including his room.  The TADs are on my shortlist if I were to move to smaller place as they are remarkable.  I owned early Constellation amps with Magico Q1 and while I didn't like the Constellation (or Magico), the newer stuff is totally different in the same league as the Soulutions and CH stuff.  And while I didn't like it because it didn't do the things I like in a system, it doesn't mean I couldn't appreciate the merits.

I think it would be worth it for you guys at a show to go listen to dCS.  They make remarkable equipment and have been one of the pioneers in digital not just for the end-user but also in the professional world.  

People can have their preferences and I sure have mine, but to dismiss the Rossini and all dCS as Amir did with the assumption that Chris's system can't reveal the "deficiencies" in the dCS is to me,  absurd. Again, I can understand WHY someone may prefer a different DAC, whether it be more or less expensive than the Rossini but to dismiss outright, in my opinion, is nuts.  It's a great piece.  I think one can have preferences but still recognize something that sounds great, whether they can afford it or not and/or whether its meets their goals or not

Priaptor--thanks for your helpful post. 

One of the funny things about audiophiledom, is that we are often using different levels of scrutiny to describe things.  When Amir said the dCS was weak, I didn't think he meant that it did not sound as good as my Yggy in my $30K system.  I thought he meant it was not great for a $100K+ system.  Similarly, when you criticize Magico and Wilson, I assume you only mean they have some weaknesses relative to other excellent speakers.  I trust that all the components in Chris's system are excellent, but I also appreciate that even great systems have weaknesses when compared to other great systems.

Cheers

On 3/17/2018 at 7:59 PM, firedog said:

Others will jump all over me, but if I was starting a Dylan collection, the two albums I'd want are Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks.

What you should really get is, The Original Mono Recordings, Box Set:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Mono-Recordings-Bob-Dylan/dp/B003XRDYX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521330944&sr=8-1&keywords=dylan+original+mono+recordings+CD

The sound is fantastic and the entire 8 disc set is a bargain. I think you can get if for even less than the Amazon price if you look. And really, the SQ here is competitive with any other version you will spend your money on. You don't have to buy super expensive audiophile versions to get audiophile level sound. 

OK, FD--I'm jumping all over you--thanks for nothing!  Like I need to drop yet ANOTHER 100  bucks on additional versions of Dylan that I already own?  Why not suggest MQA too? >:(

Now that that's out of my system--I checked out reviews of the mono set, then played my beloved stereo Freewheelin'.  WTF?  He's in 3 pieces!  (It's amazing the things we take as given until someone points out the painfully obvious.)  Box set arrives Thursday.  I can't wait!  Thanks!:D

Mig--in addition to FD's excellent suggestions, I would add Desire as an accessible Dylan album as you are wading in.  Also--it's really helpful and fun to have the lyrics, either from one of the books or online.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyrics-1961-2012-Bob-Dylan/dp/1451648766/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521502665&sr=1-1&keywords=dylan+lyrics

11 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

I'm not criticizing the "sound" of Magico and Wilson, whether I like them or not.  What I am criticizing is their need/desire to always upgrade in very short period of times compared to Chris' TADs

Are you sure you mean that?  It's an unusual statement from an audiophile.  Shouldn't we applaud Magico's and Wilson's aggressiveness in pursuing the best possible sound?  If they know how to make a better speaker than the ones currently on sale, shouldn't they release it?

Also, I'm not saying we shouldn't applaud a product that has stood the test of time, such as Chris's TADs.  I'm just saying that the test is that it has to keep holding its own against the competitive onslaught.

Ted/Miguelito--I agree with both of these posts.  Of course, in a way, they answer each other.  A company really should be careful of resale value impacts, and it probably takes a few years to come up with meaningful improvements.

As I reflect on my own system (which IMHO is excellent though not in the same league as this thread), I am using the 3rd generation of an iconic speaker (B&W diamonds) and the 6th (at least) generation of a classic amp (McIntosh 275).  I have not heard earlier generations, but the reviews would tell you that their predecessors were awesome decades ago, and that the current versions are far better for the iterations.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:59 PM, firedog said:

Others will jump all over me, but if I was starting a Dylan collection, the two albums I'd want are Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks.

What you should really get is, The Original Mono Recordings, Box Set:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Mono-Recordings-Bob-Dylan/dp/B003XRDYX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521330944&sr=8-1&keywords=dylan+original+mono+recordings+CD

The sound is fantastic and the entire 8 disc set is a bargain. I think you can get if for even less than the Amazon price if you look. And really, the SQ here is competitive with any other version you will spend your money on. You don't have to buy super expensive audiophile versions to get audiophile level sound. 

Dylan Original Monos arrived today--they are AWESOME!!!  The funny paradox is that their soundstage is better than the stereo version.  He's right here with me--thanks, FD!