IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

7 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

My biggest problem is that in my thinking is that a higher sample rate doesn't just allow you to sample higher frequencies....it also allows you to capture more data in very complex signals having nothing to do with the audible frequency range.

Those complexities are higher frequencies.

1 minute ago, crenca said:

Also, for those engineers - beerandmusic's understanding of frequency and sound is very common.  It is a laypersons perspective and reveals the distance between your education and theirs...not to give your already inflated egos a boost or anything :)

There's a reason it takes years of study to get an engineering degree.

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

Let me ask this....

is it possible to have an infinite amount of frequencies between 600hz and 700hz?

e.g. is it not possible to have 600hz 600.001, 600.002, 600.003, etc...

whether it is discernible to hear the difference from one person's voice to another, not being the question.

I believe I just answered that question.

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The point being that our fundamental understanding of the universe is quantized, and hence an infinite number of frequencies do not physically exist.

The quantisation is small enough that for practical purposes it doesn't exist. More importantly, the sampling theorem is fine with a true continuum of frequencies whether or not they can all physically exist.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Of course the sampling theorem works. Quantised frequency is where the fourier transform becomes the discrete fourier transform, and yes it also works. The uncertainty theorem determines the frequency resolution limits. 

Seems like we're in agreement.

9 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

what i meant by gaps is that at t1 you have freq x and t2 you have freq y, and you must connect the dots, so the detail between the dots is the gaps that is estimated, calculated, averaged, or whatever terminology you use....and that is where the details and accuracy are lost....between the samples.

A frequency doesn't exist a single point in time, only over an interval. The longer the interval, the more well-defined the frequency becomes. I this might be the root of your misunderstanding.

Just now, beerandmusic said:

Sounds a bit biased and not sure I would even want to watch it unless it is approved by an authority I trust.

You can trust Monty on this. Or you can follow the derivation of the maths all the way from basic arithmetic if you prefer. This is generally called "getting an engineering degree," and typically takes a few years of full-time study.

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

Yea, i am definitely not interested in that (grin).  I only want to know why an SACD sounds better than a CD and why so many people are reluctant to accept that....i don't think i am willing to spend more than an hour or two, so I will likely be considered "remained lost" by those that don't believe an SACD can sound better than a CD.

If you're not willing to put in the time yourself, you're going to have to trust those of us who have.

32 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Of course it uses sampling. At each sample interval, it samples the input analogue signal and decides if it's a higher or lower value than the previous sample it took. It outputs one bit for each sample, a 1 or a 0.

That's a gross over-simplification but more accurate than the previously offered "explanation."

26 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

ok, so i watched it...it doesn't really touch on my confusion about a more complex signal...i am sure the suggestion would be the same applies...but he really doesn't go into complex waveforms.

Let's ask Monty if he has a version of the video with a higher frame rate. Perhaps that would be more accurate.