IGNORED

Last Few Albums

My database tells me that I've added just three CDs over the past 5 months. The Rachmaninov has already been mentioned above. All three are collector's items, and two of them were the last I needed to complete a collection of all of the Classic Records gold CDs. Much to my dismay, the Classic Records titles are among the four most expensive CD collectibles I own, but not the most I've ever paid. I have to compete with other ebay members for these. No doubt, many would consider it foolish that anyone paid the sums I have, but I have justified the prices I paid by telling myself that dinner for my wife and me at Commander's Palace in New Orleans would set me back about the same. They are:

(Harry) Belafonte Sings The Blues, LSPCD 1972 - $225.01

Borodin: Overture to Prince Igor, Polovtsian Dances et al, CSCD 6126 - $265.00

At least these prices include the shipping charges. ;-)

If you've had the great fortune to hear a Classic Records CD reissue, then you'll know why collectors worldwide are paying the kinds of prices that the entire series goes for at auction. In a few instances, their releases were unique for that title. The Belafonte recording has never been released by RCA through regular distribution channels anywhere the world, for example. The Borodin, on the other hand, has appeared in several budget iterations, but none begin to approach the sound quality on the C.R. release. In fact, I would have to say that about ten of these 39 rank among the 20 best-sounding CDs I've heard.

Classic Records released 39 CDs under license from RCA, Mercury, Verve and Decca/London. The RCA titles were primarily in the vintage jazz and classical genres; all of the London releases are classical.

SGB - I love hearing about these types of things. Great music, great sound, highly coveted, and a challenge to complete the collection. This info is what you don't get in many forums because people are too high-strung and looking to attack. I am sure someone will call you crazy for spending $500 on two CDs, but personally I think it is pretty cool. As you said dinner would cost the same. Plus, you can listen to these CDs as much as you want. Dinner is rather short term. Priced out by the minute I am sure the CDs were a much better value :-)

- Chris

Computer Audiophile | Turn Down The Silence

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 4 years later...

Janelle Monae - ArchAndriod (I cannot begin to explain how great this album is. If you look at my history I am mostly metal, industrial, new wave fan. This is an R&B / funk album that I love, so hopefully that says something. I seriously recommend picking it up, or demo'ing on YouTube)

The Devin Townsend Project - Addicted

Suzanne Vega - Nine Objects of Desire

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

David Byrne and St. Vincent - Love This Giant

The Rolling Stones from HD Tracks - Grrrrrrrrrr

Poi Dog Pondering - Live at Metro Chicago, Dec 2-3 2011 2 DVD set

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

I buy far too much music and in 2013 I'm going to try and cut back :(

Anyway, my last 3 purchased;

Bill Fay - Life is People (could be my album of the year)

Martin Stephenson & The Daintees - California Star

Beth Hart - Bang Bang Boom Boom

Tim

"Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air." - Tom Waits

Main: Custom W10/JRiver/FLAC music server | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | MA Bronze2

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

Parallax - Atlas Sound

Let England Shake - PJ Harvey

• Win 10 (64), (Front Room) Phil's Audio Optimizer, Tidal/Roon, HQPlayer, RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Hegel H300, van den Hul - The Clearwater, PMC Twenty.24's.

God choices, I like Anathema Weather Systems so much, that I ordered these ...

Anathema - Judgement

Anathema - Falling Deeper

Anathema - Were here Because Were Here

also, for some variety

The Avett Brothers - The Carpenter

So far, I like all of the Anethma records, But

Would say I still like Weather Systems the best.

They are quite a bit like Porcupine Tree/Steve Wilson/Pink Floyd

After discovering this guy through Jud's recommendation on another thread (for the album Mescalito, which I really dug):

Ryan Bingham - Junky Star

Ryan Bingham - Tomorrowland

Ryan Bingham - Roadhouse Sun

Thanks Jud! :)

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

OT_Sorry.....

but I must compliment jerico on the Analog rig.....

V nice.

now i crawl back into my soft-clipping, vacuum valve hole.......

Thank you, kind sir! I love my analog rig, but also love my digital. Depends on my mood, the music, the company. Sometimes vinyl is just... the right thing to do. Other times my digital is perfect. Either way, I need valves though, somewhere in the chain!

In the spirit of keep this thread on topic though - more purchases from me yesterday (both FLAC downloads from the MMW website):

Medeski Martin & Wood - Free Magic

Medeski Martin & Wood - 20

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

• 3 weeks later...

David Bowie - Ziggy Stadust 24/96 - bought single Disc Ebay

Weather Report - Heavy Weather 176K HDTracks

David Chesky - The New York Rags 192K Binaural HDTracks

Shostakovich - Symphony No. 11, 24/44.1; BIS

All of these sound really good; especially the Chesky Ragtime. It sounds really good and is fun music.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Here's mine....

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 24/96 - HD Tracks (downloading as i type)

Rush - 2112 24/96 - Linn download (doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere else)

Ray Charles - Genuis Loves Company 24/88 - HD tracks

The Band - Last Waltz 24/48 - HD Tracks

I know that's four albums, but the last two were bought together taking advantage of the HD tracks 15% off coupon.

Not new.

Far Away Trains Passing By - Ulrich Schnauss

An American Prayer - Jim Morrison (Music by The Doors)

Broken English - Marianne Faithfull

But standing the test of time.

• Win 10 (64), (Front Room) Phil's Audio Optimizer, Tidal/Roon, HQPlayer, RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Hegel H300, van den Hul - The Clearwater, PMC Twenty.24's.