IGNORED

PC CD Transports

John, I've never been able to figure out any mechanism by which this could make a difference...

But things, I've seen or heard people claim as being xlnt include: 

Exemplar server 

Audio Research CD3 MkII 

Bryston

probably other items from the list of usual suspects...

I do know there are transports selling for $12k or so...

How many CDs are there?  Some places will do it "for" or a transport might be rentable...

2 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I think you want a CD drive, not a CD transport.

Please see this thread for more information:

I'm looking for a transport.  But most drives are transports.

So… What’s the difference between a Transport and a Player?

Traditional CD players have a built-in DAC which means that there’s an analogue audio output. CD transports differ as they don’t have any analogue or digital to analogue components in them or any filters to improve the analogue sound. Instead they pass on the digital audio signal straight on to a DAC or an amplifier with a DAC via digital outputs like coaxial or optical outputs. Connecting to an amplifier or DAC via the digital output means that the signal remains in its original digital form for as long as possible, unlike traditional CD players.

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

I'm looking for a transport.  But most drives are transports.

So… What’s the difference between a Transport and a Player?

Traditional CD players have a built-in DAC which means that there’s an analogue audio output. CD transports differ as they don’t have any analogue or digital to analogue components in them or any filters to improve the analogue sound. Instead they pass on the digital audio signal straight on to a DAC or an amplifier with a DAC via digital outputs like coaxial or optical outputs. Connecting to an amplifier or DAC via the digital output means that the signal remains in its original digital form for as long as possible, unlike traditional CD players.

I understand the difference.

I was confused by you mentioning ripping your CDs. This isn't something you can do with a transport.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

John, I've never been able to figure out any mechanism by which this could make a difference...

But things, I've seen or heard people claim as being xlnt include: 

Exemplar server 

Audio Research CD3 MkII 

Bryston

probably other items from the list of usual suspects...

I do know there are transports selling for $12k or so...

How many CDs are there?  Some places will do it "for" or a transport might be rentable...

I guess a thousand or so.  I'm in no hurry.  I've ripped them before so I'm more curious to see if what I've done actually improves the rip itself.  This will be a good test.

Just now, Johnseye said:

When the transport is connected to my PC why wouldn't I be able to rip a CD with it?

Ripping means creating an exact digital contents of the CD on your hard drive. What you are talking about is creating a digital recording.

This was discussed in the thread I linked to.

CD ripping software access the data layer of a CD via some sort of virtual data interface like IDE (and other variations used for CD drives). A transport is going to going to send a SPDIF bitstream. I don’t think you can create a track list and capture meta data by recording a SPDIF bitstream.

I think you’d have to hack the transport’s data connection.mechanism and bridge it over to a PC that can run the ripping software. That way you could benefit from the transport’s specialized servo system, resonance / vibration control, clean power, etc.

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Ripping means creating an exact digital contents of the CD on your hard drive. What you are talking about is creating a digital recording.

This was discussed in the thread I linked to.

I want to rip, extract or grab the audio from my music CDs.  I will likely use Exact Audio Copy as my software to do this.  I don't know why you don't think that's the correct nomenclature.

5 minutes ago, GUTB said:

CD ripping software access the data layer of a CD via some sort of virtual data interface like IDE (and other variations used for CD drives). A transport is going to going to send a SPDIF bitstream. I don’t think you can create a track list and capture meta data by recording a SPDIF bitstream.

I think you’d have to hack the transport’s data connection.mechanism and bridge it over to a PC that can run the ripping software. That way you could benefit from the transport’s specialized servo system, resonance / vibration control, clean power, etc.

The transport is just the optical reader.  It's not a player.  I'll connect the transport to the motherboard with a sata cable.  I think the terms are just being confused.  I'm looking for an internal PC CD-ROM drive.  These are transports as they do not have a DAC.

So for sake of clarity, let's just say I'm looking for a good internal SATA CD-ROM drive.

Just now, Johnseye said:

I want to rip, extract or grab the audio from my music CDs.  I will likely use Exact Audio Copy as my software to do this.  I don't know why you don't think that's the correct nomenclature.

Your nomenclature above is fine but you need to use either an external or internal CD drive connected to your computer, not a CD transport (CD player without the built-in DAC).

Just now, kumakuma said:

Your nomenclature above is fine but you need to use either an external or internal CD drive connected to your computer, not a CD transport (CD player without the built-in DAC).

I don't think internal CD drives have a built in DAC.  I could be wrong.

Just now, Johnseye said:

I don't think internal CD drives have a built in DAC.  I could be wrong.

I posted the above before your previous post.

It was a nomenclature issue after all.

The term CD transport has traditionally been used to refer to either a standalone CD player that either lacks a DAC or the portion of a standalone CD player up to the digital output.

Just now, Johnseye said:

So a $15 drive will provide the same quality as a $80 drive and there are no differences from an audio ripping standpoint?

A better quality drive may be faster, may last longer, or may be better at dealing with scratched discs but the resulting rip either matches what's on the CD or it doesn't. There is no middle ground.

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

Indubitably.

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

A better quality drive may be faster, may last longer, or may be better at dealing with scratched discs but the resulting rip either matches what's on the CD or it doesn't. There is no middle ground.

Then I can just use my current PC bluray drive.  Are you all familiar with Exact Audio Copy, and if so is there another software you prefer over it?

Just now, Johnseye said:

Then I can just use my current PC bluray drive.  Are you all familiar with Exact Audio Copy, and if so is there another software you prefer over it?

I'm on a Mac so I use XLD. Just be sure to use AccurateRip so the ripped data is checked for accuracy.

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

A better quality drive may be faster,

All drives made in the last 15 years are 52x. Any faster and there's risk of the CD disintegrating.

may last longer,

True, but any cheap drive should last long enough to rip a few thousand CDs. If it should break, you can buy another and still save money compared to getting an expensive one.

or may be better at dealing with scratched discs

Maybe. Just about all CD drives use one of a handful of controller chips. I suspect the optical assembly comes from a similarly small number of sources too. It's how the market for such products works.

but the resulting rip either matches what's on the CD or it doesn't. There is no middle ground.

For sure.