IGNORED

Pure Music

Lars

Yes, you did - it was included parenthetically in a note from Rob that you posted above in the thread.

see below:

"I just received an email from Rob concerning the new Pure Music release and future developments.

"New Pure Music 1.1 release is available now for download. Supports Hog

mode; native hardware integer (and plug in support) is just around the

bend. That's in testing now. All of this will be rolled into Pure

Vinyl, but on a slower schedule, because the testing protocol for that

product is much more involved when it comes to adding new features.""

clay

Clay,

I thought he was referring to DAC support. Not program plug-ins. I guess we'll have to ask Rob.

Steve

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Hi All,

I got a change to purchase PM over the weekend. The difference is quite noticeable. PM has been a much welcomed addition, it has put a bit of excitement into the sound. The sound stage is wider and the bass is fully rounded. I can't put my finger on all the differences but it is like switching an old cd players after getting used to the sound.

I was going to post some bugs that have bothered me like the unpredictable "handshake" between iTunes and PM. I'm glad there may be a solution by the looks of the above attached post from Rob. I think this should be solved because the key to Itunes is the flexibility (depending on ones listening style) it offers in ease of changing tracks and PM seems to get in the way, especially in Memory Player Mode. It's difficult to change your mind once a track is chosen.

I don't go crazy with A-B listening and usually just stick to what I like. However I haven't had a chance to do it with PM. I can't seem to get iTunes to run properly after I shut down PM. I've tried shutting down PM, then shut down iTunes, then start up iTunes again. But still no music. The play indicator is running on iTunes but no music. It's like PM is still attached. Anyone have a solution to this???

Thanks,

Jay

Jay

Raised on TV.

Jay, leave Itunes open and close only PM. Once PM is closed simply nudge (technical term) the volume slider in Itunes and you should have sound again. I think the little speaker graphic will change as well to let you know that Itunes is back in control.

Thanks for posting the long reply from Rob.

Let me know if my interpretation of "Plug-ins" was inaccurate.

UPDATE:

Rob says:

"I think there is some confusion regarding "floating point conversion" in CoreAudio. Nothing is really "converted" per se; the audio is just placed into a different container (provided that the audio device driver does this properly, which isn't necessarily the case)."

This is interesting. Other developers of music playing software have referred to their algorithms and their choices of when to round (or not) as being a contributing factor in (their explanations of) improved sound. Since the context of these discussion is almost always regarding bit perfect playback, I, for one, took that to mean that rounding was involved in moving data (i.e. 'conversions') from Integer to Float, since this is the only time any sort of 'algorithm' or 'rounding' could occur.

Based on what Rob is saying, it would seem that this (proprietary use of algorithms & placement of rounding) would only refer to instances of non-bit-perfect playback (i.e. when data manipulation is in use, e.g. volume control).

cheers,

clay

1.11 also allows Pure Vinyl users to use their authorization numbers. It supports HOG. For my Wavelength USB DAC I had to deselect the DAC in Sound settings (general settings). Then follow these instructions from Rob to enable HOG mode:

Hello,

You can't enable hog mode for devices that are also selected in AMS (Audio/Midi setting).

This is a "safety" feature in Pure Music to keep more than one application from contending for the same device (which could cause problems).

Select the Built-In input and output in AMS, then the Wavelength in Advanced settings in Pure Music, and you should be all set.

Thank you,

Rob Robinson

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

First post...

I am thinking about putting together a system that involves Airport Express --> Dac --> Preamp

It sounds like this Netsend thing would allow me to use Pure Music in such a system. If so, is this something that an average (non-techie) user could set up, or not? If it is available to the masses, can someone explain to me how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Netsend won't work with the AE because it doesn't have the "partner" it requires (netreceive). Netsend is more for sending audio between computers. However, you should still be able to use the AE with Pure Music via the send options in iTunes (haven't tested this) or with AirFoil. Both options are very simple once the AE is setup.

I guess my question is whether Pure Music does its thing and then that is sent over Airtunes, or whether the file is sent over Airtunes and then the processing happens, in a way where Pure Music would end up not doing anything. I guess I am reacting, in part, to this comment by edb15 over on the Steve Hoffman board (in what is, unfortunately, one of the nastier threads I've seen in that generally nice place):

Just a note--if you stream via Airtunes then a)your files are compressed to ALAC to be sent, and b)the Airport Express will do the decoding and clocking. Seems to me that would defeat whatever sonic advantage Pure Music purports to have.

For those who don't read AA, Steve has posted there that Hog Mode did improve the sound of Pure Music.

Again, kudos to Rob for providing this functionality.

As stated earlier, I thought Hog Mode had a better chance of improving sound quality than the switch from float to purely integer data handling. I am more convinced of that based on Rob's clarification of the apparent "confusion" (related to floating point conversion) of those of us with less, shall we say, hands-on experience than Rob.

Cheers,

Clay

said about HOG mode, other than announcing it and somewhat explaining it. Where does he say it improves his sound?

By the way, I think it improves mine (better delineation of images, wider soundstage), but it's too early to tell..and I'm out of pocket now until Sunday/Monday.

I have not figured out how to use Net Send and Net Receive. However, I believe any audio program that can host AU plugins can host the Net Receive plugin. Examples are Play and Audio Hijack Pro.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Ted,

You're right. The soundstage does sound bigger. All good stuff!

A and B several times last night, I would love to know what I am hearing in the differences, definite clearer presentation more separation in instruments and voices. At first I thought it sounded thin compared to non hog mode, then it seemed non hog mode sounded like it had a little reverb or something added to make the tracks sound richer and more organic. I went back and forth making myself crazy trying to decide! In the end after several hours of debate I preferred what I felt to be the more accurate depiction from the Hog mode. I also think you need a highly resolved system to hear this

davidada, what is your system configuration, and more specifically, is your mac-to-dac interface synchronous or asynchronous?

I have a synchronous PC-to-DAC AES interface and I have similarly experimented with XXHE's various modes, including a "special" mode which is similar to the HOG mode of PM whereby latency is driven to the lowest possible levels. I heard similar things to what you described and ultimately preferred the lowest latency mode.

Now then, if one is using an async Mac/PC-to-DAC interface I would think latency would not have a bearing on sound quality. Can anyone who is experimenting with HOG mode in PM who is using an async interface chime in on their experience?

Thanks.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

I have a Wavelength Silver Crimson Asynch USB DAC. Yes, the bass is better contolled with HOG; the sound will be less warm but clearer. Also. smoother at the high end.

I downloaded PM last week and have been evaluating. The sound is much better to me than with itunes. In comparing upsampling the non-upsampled seems somewhat more organic with a deeper soundstage. The upsampling seems to add some clarity but at the expense of soundstage depth and image body. The thing I do not understand is the difference when playing 24/96 material. It was my understanding that when playing this material that you were playing from the native files and there was no upsampling regardless of setting. But when you engage upsampling on 24/96 material there is a similar difference of increased clarity at the expense of image body and soundstage depth. Any thoughts why this would be and are others getting similar results?