IGNORED

Pure Music

Lars

As I understand it, Less is More shuts off all dynamic UI, all iTunes interaction, and all DSP functions beyond volume and upsampling.

Shunyata Power -> 2011 Mac Mini -> OYAIDE NEO d+ FireWire -> Weiss DAC 202 -> Dual Mono McIntosh 2102 -> 2x Double Shotgun Clear Day Cables -> B&W 803D

I may be wrong but you may realize issues if you have 24/96 or larger files. I will try to find where I read this so I am not just blowing smoke here.

...I found it

In the Pure Music User Guide it states at least 2GB required for CD quality (I take that to mean 16/44.1 files), 4GB recommended and 8GB preferred. So it doesn't say you can't but more is recommended. I may go to 8 I will make you a cheap deal on 4!

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I completely agree with tmorini's findings.

Right now, I'm listening to Less is More mode, and the sound quality equals, maybe exceeds, s.q. of my CEC belt transport. First time this happens with computer audio.

'A lot of hash clears up' describes best what happens. It is not a small improvement!

Strange anyway! 'Smaller footprint' does not give a believable explanation, except if one presumes that the (minimal) iTunes activity interferes in a bad way with the filling & reading of the buffers?

Trade-off: use of remote on Ipad can't be used in Less is More mode.

Johan

Hi.

I tried PM's Memory Play feature and seems to work fine with 2gb of memory. I'm only playing standard CD def files by the way.

I tried Integer Mode and I get lots of crackles.

I'm using a V-Link connected to a Rega DAC via Coax. Could this be the problem?

Cheers.

Mac Min : Audirvana : Audiophilleo 2 : Rega DAC : Brio-R : RS3 speakers.

While I wait for channel d support, curious if any other Pure Music users are experiencing the problem I'm having which is that some Flac bookmarked files (shown as 6kb in iTunes) don't have sound? When I convert them to .m4a they play fine. This happens to the same tracks in an album each time I try to import them, but other tracks render perfectly fine.

• 2 months later...

(This is a belated response, but I just came across this post, and I thought I might have a useful insight.)

lgoler wrote:

"...curious if any other Pure Music users are experiencing the problem I'm having which is that some Flac bookmarked files (shown as 6kb in iTunes) don't have sound? When I convert them to .m4a they play fine."

When I first started using PM (just a month or so ago), I noticed that PM wouldn't play 24/192 FLACs. I figured this had something to do with the fact that my current hardware setup will only handle up to 24/96. (I did note, though, that Fidelia Advanced -- not using iTunes -- was able to downsample the same 24/192 FLACs on the fly and play them with no problem.)

The other day, though, I came across this in a FAQ on Channel D's website:

"FLAC playback requires memory play, but downsampling is always done from disk. So, downsampled playback of FLAC files cannot be accomplished at playback time. The file format must be converted, or the file resampled."

So there you have it. I made ALAC versions of my relatively few 24/192 tracks and those play fine in PM. This issue will go away whenever my Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC arrives.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5