IGNORED

Streamers comparison and recommendation (1500€ limit)

2 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

The "masses" will pay $1,000 for a cell phone with wireless earbuds. $500 for a stereo system that you have to sit down to listen to? How old fashioned.

gramophone.jpg

the masses will get a free phone with a contract....no masses spend $1k on a telephone.

You were probably one of the hundreds that told me avr's would never support dsd.

a very small percentage actually considering how many people buy phones and how many people buy high end audio....so i guess one would need to clarify what "masses" is.

There is not that much demand for high end audio as there is for smart phones obviously....

Believe as you may...i suggest there will be streamers with better clocks and noise suppression, more choices than you can imagine for under $500 within a few years...and if you want a quality dac included in one box...easily under $2k.

^^^ I remember buying my first cd recorder for $2k....they were originally over $10K when i first started contemplating....and i had to wait nearly 2 years before they met my $2k budget....blank cd's were $25 a pop, and due to poor engineering, 5 out of 6 of those cd's had to be thrown away due to buffer over-runs. 

Technology is moving at a fast pace right now in the way of digital audio....watch...

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

^^^ I remember buying my first cd recorder for $2k....they were originally over $10K when i first started contemplating....and i had to wait nearly 2 years before they met my $2k budget....blank cd's were $25 a pop, and due to poor engineering, 5 out of 6 of those cd's had to be thrown away due to buffer over-runs. 

Technology is moving at a fast pace right now in the way of digital audio....watch...

Check the 7th post in this thread & the Allo Club on this website - The Allo DigiOne Player gives you SPDIF output, the Sparky/USBridge gives you a USB Player. You still need a DAC, but either of these devices for under $200 is more than worthy till your all-in-one comes out. Not sure why, but none of these streamer boxes is all-in-one, even the $4000 versions. You should be able to find a capable DAC for $1000 and when your box is out sell it. At least it gets you in the game now.

4 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

If using a NUC, you will want one with at least a mini PCIe connector so as to add an adapter that will externally add a PCIe lane connected to the tXUSBexp card. 

All NUCs since the 5th generation have had an M.2 slot instead of a mini PCIe connector.  Current machines are 7th generation.

NUCs (select models) can accommodate a 2.5" disk drive.  I thought the sCLK-EX needs a 3.5" form factor.  Is there room in your NUC for the sCLK-EX?

Looks like thin mini ITX is the choice with current hardware.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

All NUCs since the 5th generation have had an M.2 slot instead of a mini PCIe connector.  Current machines are 7th generation.

Then get an older generation like a Jetway Barebones or find a M.2 adapter to PCIe.  If not, go with a mini-itx SoC.  There is no limit to which mobo to use.  Your just going to want the capability to run a tXUSBexp PCIe card or 2 of them.  Keep the mobo as small as possible and low power, DC preferred.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

3 hours ago, Lobbster said:

Check the 7th post in this thread & the Allo Club on this website - The Allo DigiOne Player gives you SPDIF output, the Sparky/USBridge gives you a USB Player. You still need a DAC, but either of these devices for under $200 is more than worthy till your all-in-one comes out. Not sure why, but none of these streamer boxes is all-in-one, even the $4000 versions. You should be able to find a capable DAC for $1000 and when your box is out sell it. At least it gets you in the game now.

altair, cocktail x35, and lumin d1 are all streamer/dac in one...

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

They are. But I prefer the freedom of relatively inexpensive swap of components. As I wrote, Allo Player is under $ 200 and it is a very good start of hifi setup. I use it as a transport connected to Audio-GD DAC 19 (some $ 800 + taxes) and I can tell you, it sounds gorgeous. 

When I was in the phase of testing and comparing, I met just one product, which was clearly better - Linn Akurate, which sells for some $ 6000. 

7 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

...Technology is moving at a fast pace right now in the way of digital audio....watch...

Then why would you want to commit to an all-in-one ? The separation of concerns offers some mitigation against the march of technological progress by allowing you to make meaningful upgrades, where & when it makes sense. Incidentally, the OP's requirement was for a separate DAC, was it not ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

2 hours ago, Charente said:

Then why would you want to commit to an all-in-one ? The separation of concerns offers some mitigation against the march of technological progress by allowing you to make meaningful upgrades, where & when it makes sense. Incidentally, the OP's requirement was for a separate DAC, was it not ?

i am planning on buying just one more...not upgrading anymore after this last time...so i am patiently waiting...will probably get lumin d1 if nothing else better pops up by ces time.

2 hours ago, TesarPa said:

They are. But I prefer the freedom of relatively inexpensive swap of components. As I wrote, Allo Player is under $ 200 and it is a very good start of hifi setup. I use it as a transport connected to Audio-GD DAC 19 (some $ 800 + taxes) and I can tell you, it sounds gorgeous. 

When I was in the phase of testing and comparing, I met just one product, which was clearly better - Linn Akurate, which sells for some $ 6000. 

want single box solution and dsd is one of many hard requirements, so your solution won't work for me, but thanks for opinion.

8 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Yea, what was I thinking - I've been looking real close at the NAD M12 or M32 lately, which seems to fit the description. Well above $$ limit tho.

Aren't the Altair & Lumin D1 basically Apple centric? 

The Cocktail X35 is interesting, the X50 seems close to the mark (steamer/player/dac) & the X40 is right on point (<$2000). The X35 seems like a package of compromises to fit all those services in 1 box. Thanks for that info - going to do some more research on these units.

1 hour ago, Lobbster said:

Yea, what was I thinking - I've been looking real close at the NAD M12 or M32 lately, which seems to fit the description. Well above $$ limit tho.

Aren't the Altair & Lumin D1 basically Apple centric? 

The Cocktail X35 is interesting, the X50 seems close to the mark (steamer/player/dac) & the X40 is right on point (<$2000). The X35 seems like a package of compromises to fit all those services in 1 box. Thanks for that info - going to do some more research on these units.

Both altair and lumin are roon capable (besides apple)

Lumin now does android too, and cebolla said it uses "openhome" and the linn ap will work with it to.

The marantz SR5012,6012,7012 also now do dsd gapless streaming....

The cocktail series seems very interesting, but may be hard to buy if in usa?

16 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I don't disagree, but so am I.  Tomorrow I could be in the ground, no pun intended.  Why not enjoy today?

If i could enjoy today, i would probably buy it, but you say you have to buy different componets, nuc, dac, and then ship off, wait for mod, etc....just seems like a hassle...would rather buy sotm off shelf if same capability?  But certainly not at $4k price point....i can wait.

7 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

want single box solution and dsd is one of many hard requirements, so your solution won't work for me, but thanks for opinion.

Allo USBridge does native DSD256 and many are doing DSD512 over HQPlayer. If you contact Allo, they'll put the USBridge/Boss DAC in 1 chassis and configure the way you want. It may not look pretty, but they really seem to excel at pleasing the customer and it is plug-n-play. 4 USB (1 USB 3.0) ports for HDD. Lots of $$ left for linear power supplies and exotic cables. Might be worth an email...

Edit: sorry, guess their DAC isn't DSD.

4 minutes ago, Lobbster said:

Allo USBridge does native DSD256 and many are doing DSD512 over HQPlayer. If you contact Allo, they'll put the whole setup in 1 chassis and configure the way you want. It may not look pretty, but they really seem to excel at pleasing the customer and it is plug-n-play. 4 USB (1 USB 3.0) ports for HDD. Lots of $$ left for linear power supplies and exotic cables. Might be worth an email...

Ok, tell me more about this. 

Is it streamer only?  Is it better than SOTM?  can it be used with Roon?  If streamer only, what dac would you recommend with it to stay under $2K total budget?

6 minutes ago, Lobbster said:

Allo USBridge does native DSD256 and many are doing DSD512 over HQPlayer. If you contact Allo, they'll put the whole setup in 1 chassis and configure the way you want. It may not look pretty, but they really seem to excel at pleasing the customer and it is plug-n-play. 4 USB (1 USB 3.0) ports for HDD. Lots of $$ left for linear power supplies and exotic cables. Might be worth an email...

i just looked at picture of all, and see it has hdmi port...can it output dsd via hdmi (i can use that while i decide on what usb dac later), or is the hdmi for video only?

6 minutes ago, Lobbster said:

It is a Streamer/Transport - Roon Bridge/DNLA Endpoint/Airplay

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/clubs/1-allo/

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

Also, if you have to buy a dac with it, what advantage would it have over an NT503 which is a dsd dac with ethernet port for streaming...also won many awards.  I guess one advantage is its roon ready, but how about sq or any other advantage of just buying NT503?

6 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Does it offer any SQ over any of the other options (e.g. jriver ID, sotm, etc??) 

I doubt it's better than SoTM. Might be closer than most want to admit if you add LPS

I've used it with Roon, J River as DLNA Renderer & LMS/Squeezebox no problem

I'm using a LH Labs Pulse X Infinity which can be found for under $1000 used (I wouldn't buy any new gear from LH Labs). But any USB DAC will work.

Contact Allo - you'll be surprised how eager to please these guys are. I'm going to buy another USBridge and a DigiOne Player as soon as they have the new aluminum cases in (supposed to be in next week).

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/nimitra-computer-audio-server/

gotten very favorable reviews in Stereophile and 6moons.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/nimitra-computer-audio-server/

gotten very favorable reviews in Stereophile and 6moons.

I looked at this option too but it doesn't fit the all in 1 criteria, or price point. Check out Darko for his Allo DigiOne review http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/08/allos-digione-pulls-five-star-sound-quality-from-the-raspberry-pi/.

It makes Allo a low risk try. 

I'm not trying to be a fan boy for Allo, but these guys post all the science and testing results on the device pages. They're legit and surprisingly great service from an Indian vendor.