IGNORED

Streamers comparison and recommendation (1500€ limit)

15 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

All you have to do is buy the NUC and send it off to SOtM for the modification.  Or buy an embedded mini-itx and case, mount, send it off.  Test with Windows 10.

Are you saying you can't just send them the motherboard?  SOtM wants the whole system including case and power supply?  If so, it must get pretty expensive to send them anything much bigger than a NUC.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

i missed this...

All you have to do is buy the NUC and send it off to SOtM for the modification.

Can you clarify this some more.

I buy a nuc and send it to SOTM and what do i get back?

Do they optimize the nuc for the SOTM ultra, or do they make the nuc it's own player all ino one unit?

Correct, they just change out the clocks, connected to a clocking board that will need to be powered separately.  If using a NUC, you will want one with at least a mini PCIe connector so as to add an adapter that will externally add a PCIe lane connected to the tXUSBexp card.  This works great, because I use a USPCB from Uptone to make the connection from the USB card to the DAC.  I power the USB card, sCLK-EX card and the NUC separately.  Also on my NUC there is one SATA port I use to connect a separately powered HDD 2.5" 5TB too for the OS and DATA. 

So, to start you need to buy a NUC with a mini PCIe.  Also I do not know how you want to run the OS and/or data?  Can also stream from the internet.   Buy an adapter for the mini PCIe to PCIe 1X.  

Load Windows 10 and test. 

Order the sCLK-EX with 4 points from Crux Audio, add a master clock input if you want that ability for future upgrade, no necessary.   Add a tXUSBexp pcie card.  1st time purchase 10 percent off, look for the code that pops up.  Contact Crux Audio to arrange for instructions on sending NUC to Korea SOtM.  There will be an additional charge for each modified clock and shipping back to you.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 minute ago, rickca said:

Are you saying you can't just send them the motherboard?  SOtM wants the whole system including case and power supply?  If so, it must get pretty expensive to send them anything much bigger than a NUC.

No, you want to send the mobo encased for testing.  More secure, and if using a mini-itx, get a case big enough to mount the sCLK-EX inside.  Yeah, sending a NUC would be cheaper.   But hey, your already spending $1500 to build all this, why not spend another $30 in shipping if that's what you want.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

9 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

why not spend another $30 in shipping if that's what you want

I get your point, but I think you're underestimating how fast shipping rates escalate with package size and weight.  I mean, you wouldn't want to send a system with an ATX board.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

you can put a nuc case and all inside a $6 padded envelope (boxed of course with extra cardboard)...they are only about 2"x3"x4" or thereabouts.

That's what I did.  But I bought my tXUSBexp pcie card used for $150, so had to send that also, along with the adapter for testing.  Cost me about $70, 5day shipping US global priority, from Minnesota.  SOtM charged me $200 extra for shipping and clock mods.

7 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

oh ok....sorry about that...

If you read the thread on the nativ, you will see there have been issues with delivery...i thought it was you, but maybe someone else...anyway, at this point, it is not even a consideration based on the thread on this site.

I personally would not judge any product based on just one person's experience ... I expect most manufacturers have at least one person who may not be happy with something or other ... we don't know the full circumstances.  

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

9 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Correct, they just change out the clocks, connected to a clocking board that will need to be powered separately.  If using a NUC, you will want one with at least a mini PCIe connector so as to add an adapter that will externally add a PCIe lane connected to the tXUSBexp card.  This works great, because I use a USPCB from Uptone to make the connection from the USB card to the DAC.  I power the USB card, sCLK-EX card and the NUC separately.  Also on my NUC there is one SATA port I use to connect a separately powered HDD 2.5" 5TB too for the OS and DATA. 

So, to start you need to buy a NUC with a mini PCIe.  Also I do not know how you want to run the OS and/or data?  Can also stream from the internet.   Buy an adapter for the mini PCIe to PCIe 1X.  

Load Windows 10 and test. 

Order the sCLK-EX with 4 points from Crux Audio, add a master clock input if you want that ability for future upgrade, no necessary.   Add a tXUSBexp pcie card.  1st time purchase 10 percent off, look for the code that pops up.  Contact Crux Audio to arrange for instructions on sending NUC to Korea SOtM.  There will be an additional charge for each modified clock and shipping back to you.

Still sounds like more hassle than i would want to go through....chances are SOTM is working on a single box solution right now available in less than a year.

5 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Still sounds like more hassle than i would want to go through....chances are SOTM is working on a single box solution right now available in less than a year.

They already have one available, but it will cost you a minimum of 4K with the sCLK-EX.  The hassle is worth the savings.  I should add, the turn around time was fast.  2 weeks max.

3 minutes ago, Charente said:

I personally would not judge any product based on just one person's experience ... I expect most manufacturers have at least one person who may not be happy with something or other ... we don't know the full circumstances.  

uhhh..yea...that's pretty much comon sense...

well when it's a new product and can't be purchased off shelf and no way of getting an eta, then, i think i will wait....

1 minute ago, ElviaCaprice said:

They already have one available, but it will cost you a minimum of 4K with the sCLK-EX.  The hassle is worth the savings.

I still don't understand exactly what you are getting....

You are getting a streamer only (no dac), that you can buy parts and get back after buying, shipping, mods, etc...for around $2k after their mod charges, or they will ship you same product for $4K already built, and that is just for streamer, no dac?

In either case, i think its over my $2K total budget (streamer and dac).

14 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I still don't understand exactly what you are getting....

You are getting a streamer only (no dac), that you can buy parts and get back after buying, shipping, mods, etc...for around $2k after their mod charges, or they will ship you same product for $4K already built, and that is just for streamer, no dac?

In either case, i think its over my $2K total budget (streamer and dac).

the sCLK-EX with 4 points is $850 (10 percent discount), the txUSBexp pcie card is $350 new (10 percent discount), shipping and installation are $200.  What you add for power supplies, NUC, adapter, shipping to, you need to determine.

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Also, if this product is this good, then it has to be just a matter of time that SOTM get $$$ backing and usa distribution....

Crux audio is the USA distributor.  But the mods have to be done in South Korea.  If you have ever done a mobo clocking mod you would understand how careful and tedious it can be.  SOtM does good work.

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Crux audio is the USA distributor.  But the mods have to be done in South Korea.  If you have ever done a mobo clocking mod you would understand how careful and tedious it can be.  SOtM does good work.

it may have something to do with selling product meeting certain certifications that aren't necessary when you are just doing a "mod" to someone else's equipment....just a thought.

I think it's a very exciting time in the audio world that most people don't realize.

I believe it may be just a matter of time where single box network solutions with all the latest technology (noise suppression, clocking, etc) will be $500 boxes and the masses will own one ....hell the same technology may be demanded in highend avr's in not too distant future.

It was just a few (4-5 years ago) when i wrote in this forum that DSD and usb ports will be incorporated in avr's and i was ridiculed and laughed at.....

just watch....

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

it may have something to do with selling product meeting certain certifications that aren't necessary when you are just doing a "mod" to someone else's equipment....just a thought.

No idea, there are some additional pros and cons to their build, technically.  Price wise you far better off providing your own build.  Technically, probably a wash?

@beerandmusic, all I can say is that it was worth every penny and hassle in doing this build, and I'm tight on spending for audio components.  The SQ, detail and soundstage blow away my previous server build with ISO Regen.  One happy camper.

3 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

@beerandmusic, all I can say is that it was worth every penny and hassle in doing this build, and I'm tight on spending for audio components.  The SQ, detail and soundstage blow away my previous server build with ISO Regen.

I don't doubt you for a second!

I just am willing to wait...i think the market is moving faster than ever recently.

I just am not a hardcore audiophile where i can't wait.... i am confident it's just a matter of a year or so before great things are coming....

I would love to hear a side-by-side comparison of this system to the lumina D1.  Even if the sclkex is slightly better i would still prefer a single box solution...and i think with the lumina D1 2 years old, that better is coming for less.

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I don't doubt you for a second!

I just am willing to wait...i think the market is moving fast than ever recently.

I just am not a hardcore audiophile where i can't wait.... i am confident it's just a matter of a year or so before great things are coming.

It's always changing.  Sooner or later you have to leap to enjoy and be passed by again.  One just needs to find that happy place, I'm there, then skip a few cycles. 

Regardless, power supplies and speakers don't change that fast, is a good investment to buy quality for longer term.

1 minute ago, ElviaCaprice said:

It's always changing.  Sooner or later you have to leap to enjoy and be passed by again.  One just needs to find that happy place, I'm there, then skip a few cycles.

I am not doing this again, that is why i am being patient. 

Once i get my single box solution, that is it.  I may buy roon, and i may buy different speakers, but not buying another player.  (hahah---easier said than done), but If i spend $2k, it will be the last product i buy in that category, especially if it is "evolutionary" (wink).

23 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I think it's a very exciting time in the audio world that most people don't realize.

I believe it may be just a matter of time where single box network solutions with all the latest technology (noise suppression, clocking, etc) will be $500 boxes and the masses will own one ....hell the same technology may be demanded in highend avr's in not too distant future.

The "masses" will pay $1,000 for a cell phone with wireless earbuds. $500 for a stereo system that you have to sit down to listen to? How old fashioned.

gramophone.jpg