IGNORED

No More Audiophile Hassles

After seeing a thread titled No More Computer Hassles (in which a computer was replaced by a physical media player with a computer), it got me wondering how much of a performance hit one might take if one replaced all of the audiophile-oriented features with decent-quality consumer-grade options.

Let's say for example 99% of my music files are either redbook, AAC/mp3, or 24/48 or 24/96 PCM.  How much of a performance hit would I take if I just used iTunes and set Audio MIDI setup to 24/96 output, so that coreaudio would just upsample everything to that and send it to my DAC?

How much of a performance hit would be entailed in using, for example, a $1K consumer-grade TEAC DAC (which is the best I have, fwiw)?

How much of a performance hit would be entailed using a well-engineered, well-measuring, but moderately-priced generic amplifier (pick your favorite "topology")?

How much of a performance hit would be entailed using well-behaved speakers that cost $100s of dollars rather than multiples of $1K, especially if these used room/speaker correction and/or active monitors?

In other words, would we really lose all that much by forgoing all the audiophile expense and angst in favor of carefully-selected quality mainstream consumer-grade alternatives and focused more on enjoying music? Could we actually gain anything just by simplifying the signal path?

Just to clarify -- this is a purely hypothetical/speculative question, the flip-side of another thread currently running.

I'm reasonably happy with my current main system (Audirvana + on a Mac Mini --> USB or USB/coax or network into a Teac NT-503 --> DIY Class D* bi-amp --> B&W CM7 speakers + Rel sub ± Dirac room correction, mostly lossless and high res and a few DSD). If I do any future upgrade, it would probably be a set of NC-400 amps and active/software crossovers.

*Doesn't suck.

I also have a bedroom system, which would probably qualify as "boutique" rather than consumer-grade, but it consists merely of an ATV2 (streaming my library via iTunes) --> cheap optical --> Peachtree Nova (original 2009 version) and D5 speakers; the sound from that is remarkably high-quality.

10 minutes ago, Jud said:

What we really enjoy in having our light conversation here is someone dogmatically dismissing a whole category of equipment.

Especially since it is so out of character for this place.

He's been on this Jihad for awhile now.  Like most religious fanatics, he is impervious to facts and reason.  I very much doubt he could even identify the topology of the amp in a blind test.

6 hours ago, GUTB said:

"Neutral" is a code word for "it sucks". Usually "neutral" means empty, toneless, ruler flat soundstage and unengaging. So that $300 integrated off of Amazon doesn’t suck, it’s just "very neutral". Some people like "neutral", and some like "colored". So there’s no judgment, no need to aspire for more, just tell yourself you like "neutral".

I like straight wire + gain, not audiophool sound effects.

10 hours ago, fas42 said:

Sort of curious ... how do people know when they have "neutral sound" ... ?

They measure the frequency response with Audiotools, REW, Dirac, etc. ...  It really isn't that hard.  You just have to learn not to trust your ears.