IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

46 minutes ago, esimms86 said:

fyi, there are no responses posted on his site. I assume that all response have been anti-ML and, thus, deleted by ML. Clearly, no disagreement or dialogue wanted. Of course, if he did own up to what he did and allow any dialogue in this instance, he would almost certainly lose his sponsors along with his gig with Stereophile. Using his Audiostream soapbox he's unafraid to troll CA(from which Chris Connaker makes his living), but he's afraid to risk his own sponsors by allowing posts stating opposing viewpoints. What a coward.

I called him a hack and a coward awhile ago but only because I truly believe both those things and I can back it up. Now I have additional proof of his cowardice. 

The fact is he's not taking responsibility for being a jerk and telling a member to gfym (this is the domain of someone holding an untenable position and getting taken to task for it) and mentioning Chris personally like Chris had a the real option of not banning such a sniveling, two faced,  person.  All cowardly acts. 

He's a real class act. 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I mean, Michael is not free from blame, but some of us here in forum did not really help the situation.

IMO ML is the sole author of his exit here. The post at his employers website taking a jab @ hi-fi forums in general and naming Chris and CA directly is just symbolic of how stupid people can be. Now anyone can look and see how much of an asshole he is. 

3 minutes ago, rando said:

Hectoring and taking turns one by one matching wits seemed to be tactics he embraced. 

That's fine and should be encouraged. Lavorgna has a track record of lashing out with the profane when he's getting soundly trounced in a back and forth. He's a scorched earth type person. Just look at all the people on A.S. that are banned because they were technically proficient to see through his B.S. 

13 minutes ago, YashN said:

Ah, fear not: while the expression of what he meant wasn't the most elegant and appears to single out CA at first sight, it actually refers to all Hi-Fi forums and the unhappy people he refers to aren't all the members here

No he singled out CA period. What do you think 'single out' means? 

On the other hand, if the trolls can take over a forum and make it dwindle (a real possibility), that should be the focus of worry, not Lavorgna.

I doubt Chris has anything to worry about in this regard. 

I remember he was quite viciously attacked on this very forum, so this might explain some bitterness on his part for his experience here at CA (but as you can verify, he mentions all Hi-Fi forums, not just CA).

I've most likely been the most vocal with him. But here's the thing, I wasn't really involved the the thread and it was Raf of all people that ML did his typical semi-psychotic two face routine with. IMO ML is a little bit 'off'. 

I very much dislike the fact that ML is representative of whats wrong with this hobby industry, and I personally have a distaste for him as I think he's duplicitous in banning any people of solid engineering backgrounds that disagree with him, but I've never butchered his last name. 

I'd rather see him flip out when he's bested on the merits of the conversation in a venue he can't moderate.

1 hour ago, Bill Brown said:

• Comparisons of audiophiles to flat earthers, antivaxxers, adherents to homeopathy, memory water advocates, etc.

• “I am not concerned about hurting their feelings”

• “There’s a benefit to being on the right side of the debate.  You have a higher ground that you get to speak from.”

• People labeled delusional- “If you are ML and you are delusional about Ethernet..”

• “I called him a hack and a coward a while ago but only because I truly believe those things and I can back it up.  Now I have additional proof of his cowardice.”

•  

I'll respond to the items I posted:

1. I didn't compare audiophiles at flat earthers. I've responded to people that have no idea about how data transmission works when they are presented with hard examples but yet persist in their delusion and it's detrimental to others as they tend to give out advice based on that delusion. 

2. No I'm not concerned about their feelings. Their feelings don't change how async data transfers work in highly buffered, high bandwidth systems

3. It's indeed easier to have a debate and being correct. Doesn't matter if it's like Ethernet cables or files with the same MD5 hash. 

4. ML is delusional about Ethernet. I can prove it with a listening session where he doesn't know a $350 cable from a $15 cable. 

5. I did call him a hack. A hack because he professes his hearing but won't substantiate it. Trust but Verify. He's a coward because he routinely bans people from AS that simply put forward a countering viewpoint. John Sully was an engineer at SGI and knows extensively about how CPU cache works. When Sully was pointing out the Swenson and another poster had no idea what they were talking about he was banned. Same for Archimago. 

If someone came to my place of business and called me a liar, shill, delusional, a hack (I guess in my case a “quack”), and a coward they had better be prepared to deal with the consequences, especially the last, as they would soon realize that it wasn’t the case (and they wouldn’t be able to rely on anonymity).

We aren't at your place of business. 

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Touche! I hope Plissken wasn't offended by my correcting his grammar. If I made an error like that, I would certainly appreciate being told about it. Once years ago, I used the word irregardless in a sentence during a discussion. The person I was speaking with stopped me and told me that irregardless was an illiteracy because it's a double negative meaning without-without regard! I was embarrassed sure, but I never used the word again (well, not until just now, anyway :)).

It's so rare that I'm incorrect that when something like that comes along I just shrug it off.

• 3 months later...
30 minutes ago, Madra said:

I do not want to sound like defending ML, I am not.

But I think you are expecting ML to be something he is not.

Honest...

ML merely reports on how he hears it

Including hearing things that aren't there.

I fail to see why an Engineer from Silicon Graphics will go to “Audiostream” to discuss such technical matters given the nature and orientation of the site. 

That's on you then I guess. I fail to see why someone that worked on bare metal CPU's, understands how it works, wouldn't correct ML and Swenson on spreading falsehoods. I'm glad people of that caliber will step forward and correct the FUD.

Here is the thread. John Sully is the Engineer.

1 hour ago, motberg said:

so there are no possible effects to having a 25+ foot cable hanging from your system picking up RFI or EMI ?

(I do not think the solution of disconnecting the cable during playback would work well in my next setup planned with a SMS200...)

Read the "The Antenna Myth" by Siemons.

CAT6 UTP is basically noise immune up to 30 MEGA hertz. It's CMNR and there are transformer couplings at both the switch and the NIC card.

Plus I put a $233 per foot Nordost Heimdall II (3 footer) up against $0.30 a foot CAT5e (315 foot) threw that under a running microwave and then proceeded to capture the output into an ADC, post it here at CA and no one could tell when the cables were swapped.

8 hours ago, Spacehound said:

And further, these various audio software  'optimisers' that claim to cut down the 'overhead'  are a total nonsense as audio is extremely trivial for even a low powered home computer. I run JRiver 23, Tidal, and Duet Display (thank you Chris for drawing my attention to it) and CPU usage has never exceeded 6% and that only when changing tracks. 

Funny you mention that. I took a fresh Windows 10 install and stripped it down of un-needed services. I then went into perf-mon and turned on all the different cache counters/tracing. 

Even with a system dragging along at maybe 1% CPU usage you could see all the system I/O still going on as cache, paging, irq processes. 

I posted a screen shot in another thread here and it was 'Silence of the Subjectivists'.