IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

Just now, sandyk said:

I have no disagreement with that, which is why I usually also involve others in an effort to confirm what I believe that I am hearing.

So if people just said "I think you may be fooling yourself about X", you would be ok with that?

2 hours ago, Tony Lauck said:

It was a real-world example that shows the effect of imperfections of the playback chain  on the sound a listener hears. 

Alex's claim is that two bit-identical files on the same device, etc., and all other things being equal, can nevertheless sound different if they have different histories (such as, for example, one is copied from the other using a computer powered by a noisy power supply).

The point isn't whether he is right or wrong (and he and I are finally in agreement to simply disagree and let it go). Rather, the point was whether someone can state, under what hypothetical conditions, they might be willing to accept that their hypothesis has been refuted.  Alex used to say he would never accept any contrary evidence as compelling, under any condition. If testability and potential falsifiability are used as a demarcation between science and non-science (eg metaphysics, religion, subjective opinion, etc), then his claim by those standards don't meet the criteria.  It doesn't mean his claim is wrong; it just means we can never know if it is right or wrong.  (I too have wondered if there is some other explanation, like differences encoded in the resource fork on HFS+ or similar file systems, byte-swapping, or something else that might not show up under conventional tests.)

Just now, beerandmusic said:

what do you mean by "different histories"?

2 identical files can sound different even depending "heat of the moment".

I edited the post to make it a bit more explicit.

We have a lot of threads here on the topic.  Let's honor Alex's request and not make this another one.

25 minutes ago, Jud said:

But on the basis of what expertise on your part (or that of others on which you rely) does this “doubtless” rest?  Sure, there’s stuff that’s obviously absurd just for normal reasoning humans.  But on some of these topics engineers disagree, and they both/all Know More Than I Do.

It isn't a question of expertise.  It is a question of whether the proposition is testable, repeatable, measurable ...

Donald Trump, by virtue of his current job, which includes access to highly classified intelligence, knows much more about what is going on in the world than you do.  Do you give his tweets the same benefit of the doubt that you do the statements of engineers disagree upon? Or do you apply a wee bit of common sense?