IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

Hi Alvin,

Here are many HQPlayer users. A special feature of HQPlayer is the conversion from PCM to DSD. Can you comment on the technical implementation of DSD? And if 48x1000 or 48x1024 is supported?

Many Thanks

Greetings Gabriel

Hi Alvin,

sorry next Question. 😊

I'm interesting for the new Proprietary USB Audio Solution via STM32F446 Advanced AMR Based MCU. Is this Feature included on DSD Board?

Thanks Gabriel

• 2 weeks later...

With us one says "customer threatens with order". In Europe it's not easy to buy a Denafrip Terminator. 🤨

Sure, I could buy directly from Vinshine Audio online. The tax is awkward. Now Vinshine Audio recommends the German distributor HEADquarter Audio. Going to the webside comes an error message:

This is not a secure connection or
The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable. 

Who has tips or possibly a Termi in the EU on offer?

1 hour ago, JamesBardsley said:

You could try Iain Borthwick at Willow Tree Audio in the UK.

I think he will be at the UK N.W. Audio Show in Cranage Hall on the 29th June, but I don't know whether he will a Terminator there.

Wow! Mr. James of Lancaster, UK. I am somewhat dumbfounded. 😃

You as a  Britain citizen feel addressed when I ask for a termi within the EU! Brexit? There is still hope. 😍

Thank you for your recommendation.

Greetings Gabriel

I have problems understanding this statement from Denafrips:

State-of-the-art discrete resistor 26bit R-2R for PCM decoding, 6bit DSD hardware decoding with 32 steps FIR filters, a total breakthrough of the traditional integrated chip constraints.

Does DSD not always run with 1bit?

R-2R decoding is exclusively for PCM? With which hardware is DSD decoded then?

On 6/17/2019 at 7:29 PM, Miska said:

That sounds like my DSC1 DAC design. For SDM (including DSD) DACs, number of bits is sort of irrelevant. For that reason usually number of levels is used instead.

Yes, R2R is for PCM and separate 32-element (33-level) converter is for DSD.

Miska, thank you for the answer. The Termy is ordered and will be delivered in about two weeks. I'm really looking forward to the interaction with the HQPlayer 4 via USB. 😁

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be some delivery difficulties to Europe. I am also waiting for a new Termy. Good things are just coveted. 😁

• 4 weeks later...

After a long wait (6 weeks) I received my Denafrips Terminator a few days ago. 😀

A little history of my HiFi travel.

Since I stream a lot of music (hard disk and Quobuz HighRes), a powerful DAC has always been very important in my system. I already had a Linn Klimax DSM with Katalyst upgrade. This was replaced by T + A MP 3000 HV. This in turn was replaced by a Holo Audio Spring DAC (ARMATURE Asterion with USB XMOS U208 processor).

At least here, every reasonable person asks, how can this be? We are talking about price differences (RRP in Euro) from 24k (Linn) to 10k (T + A) to 1.7k (Holo Audio)! My explanation. T + A HV series is fantastic. That was on par with the Linn Klimax. The change to Spring was for one reason: DSD 512! I'm one of those who convert everything into DSD with the HQPlayer. I just like it better. The MP 3000 HV can only PCM.

Now it was time to start again in a higher league.

The T + A SD 3000 HV is too expensive for me with 23k. And so it came to the purchase of the Denafrips Terminator.

Already the first sound inspired me. Yesterday my best friend was with me. The Termi ran at this time about 70h in continuous operation. He said that he has not yet heard that clarity, that pure sound. He liked the deep, precise basses.

That's my first impression. My dealer says that the Termi sounds properly after 300h.

Here are some impressions

36379467ha.jpeg

36377296hy.jpeg

36377295tl.jpeg

36377293fj.jpeg

5 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Welcome to the Terminator club. U are going to love it. It's a beast, in a Good way. LOL.

Thank you 🍻

@matthias

The next one may get DSP-T V08 board. 😁

I have not made a comparison between NOS and OS yet. At the moment I only listen NOS with HQPlayer DSD 512. That is already an excellent sound.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Hat jemand in dieser Gruppe das Firmware-Update Ihrer Terminatoren aktualisiert?

I didn't find any firmware on support page. Did you mean USB-Driver? 
This is the latest for New DSP Board 2019.05.30: Thesycon USB v4.67.0. It works very stable with lowest latency.

19 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Has anyone in this group updated the firmware update of your Terminators ?

Thanks for this tip! I'm using Denafrips Terminator with HQPlayer (USB connected) as renderer. Mostly I hear with convolution on / poly-sync-ext2 / ASDM7EC / 44.1 / 16/ 2 -> 12.288M (DSD 256 x 48) / 1 / 2. 

After the update, the sound has become clearer and more precise. No worlds but audible. Great support from Denafrips! 👍

• 2 months later...

Loud crackling when played for the first time.
Soft crackling on a new stream like from a turntable.

Does anyone know that? For a few weeks now I've been going directly fom Terminator to my T + A M10 power amplifiers via xlr. The sound is great and better than over preamp. The volume is controlled via HQPlayer. It is played via USB from the audio PC.

I've only heard the crackle since bypassing the preamp. They were probably always there, but dejected by preamp.

4 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Did anyone compare a similar setup to the Terminator? I

Yes, I also send exclusively via HQPlayer with the following settings to the Termi:

poly-sinc-short-lp => ASDM7EC => DSD256x48

Best sound ever. I previously had a Linn Klimax DSM (Katalyst) and a T + A MP 3000 HV.

@bodiebill 

Yes, the USB input unfortunately requires 5V. I hate little boxes that often make the sound worse than it improves. Ideally nothing in the signal path and short connections. I use JCAT USB Card FEMTO and a short (0.75m) USB cable (Audioquest Diamond). Great Sound! 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Does it really require 5V?

This question has answered. 😉

On 1/6/2020 at 5:42 PM, alvin1118 said:

The USB cable needs to supply the 5VDC as a logic trigger, along with USB input selection via the front panel, the AND logic will 'wake up' the Terminator USB receiver.  The USB receiver will be powered up by the internal Linear Power Supply.

• 1 month later...

@bodiebill  Congratulations on the Terminator.

48K DSD can be set in HQPlayer. Upsampling with e.g. DSD 256 x 48 is possible and sounds great. But also PCM with complex filters such as poly-sinc-long-lp is great. I definitely recommend NOS mode. Oversampling should always be performed by a powerful Audio PC. Just my opinion.

20 hours ago, bodiebill said:

When switching from DSD to PCM I often get a loud hiss (no music).

I occasionally had this hiss in the beginning. As far as I know, it's not the HQPlayer. In these cases, I disconnected the terminator from the mains for a few seconds. It hasn't happened again lately. I'm afraid the Terminator will take a long time to load.