IGNORED

Review: DC power supplies for AQVOX audio grade switch

@BigAlMc, hi

I lent a customer of mine the Aqvox and he immediately bought one from them. He is an experimenter and I will find out what he is doing for ps. I haven’t progressed on this topic since my original post. Streaming is not my best digital source so I don’t have quite the same incentive in this area. I borrowed all the ps from a dealer friend of mine so I’m back with the wall mart for now, but when I get some more Sbooster’s on order I intend getting some 5v versions which I think will work a treat. I have the 12v version on my hub at the moment. 

Did you remember to use port one in and port eight out? The LAN cable makes a difference I found as well. So far I have tried Aqvox, Meicord and Vovox. I will get some Sablon LAN’s to try and going by the other Sablon cables I have, I am expecting exceptional results. I’m lending Sablon stuff to people who are interested. I also have a Bybee pad under the switch, give it a try. I noticed that Aqvox are now making plug in RFI absorbers so I think it would be worth blanking off those ports not in use. There are other makes, Acoustic Revive might be worth a try, I’ve been meaning to get some to try. You might also try isolating the switch from vibrations using cork,  footers etc. LAN filters from Acoustic Revive or SOtM would be good to use. Lots to try, good luck and keep us posted.

Update - started some music playing via Tidal (some Shawn Colvin for a nice start to Saturday morning!) and was able to swap the LPS-1 input for the stock without interrupting playback :ph34r:

Yup a subtle but audible improvement. Blacks seem, er, blacker. Not night and day but I like it. 

@toetapaudio I must have missed that port 1 in, port 8 out. Was using 1 for in by luck but 6 out. Swapped to 8 for out but don't notice a difference. Out of interest what's the theory here?

Using Ghent Audio 'JSSG' ethernet cables. Been tempted by the SOtM cables for a while but they're eye-wateringly expensive. 

Thanks for the tips! 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

26 minutes ago, toetapaudio said:

I lent a customer of mine the Aqvox and he immediately bought one from them

I see you're also in the UK. Where you based and do you have a website? 

PM me if it's frowned upon to self promote here. 

Thanks, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

59 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Micael, 

Thanks for suggestions but I'm not nearly as adventurous as you. Have followed quite a few of your posts and you clearly operate on a different level to me. I'm a plug'n'play sorta chap. 

Can you elaborate on the grounding suggestion please? Is that to your Entreq? 

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the LPS-1.2. I got lucky as UpTone had sold the first batch but Vortexbox UK had a few in stock so I ordered one and had it within a few days. Plugged it into my TX-USBultra and heard an immediate impact. 

Thanks, 

Alan 

I fully understand that you want plug’n’play solutions. I like the experimental part myself, but not everyone do! ? 

When it comes to grounding there is no need for a grounding box even if this is a slightly better solution IMO. If you want plug’n’play just run a >28awg wire from the GND screw of your Aqvox SE to a grounding receptacle. If you for exemple have a turntable GND screw on your amp you can run a wire from there to the Aqvox SE GND screw. Any other ground receptacle will do, but it is diffucult to know your options. Best is to run it directly to a AC mains ground receptacle, but that might require DIY if you do not order it from for example Ghent Audio according to your requirements.

I will report back when I have tried out LPS-1.2 with Aqvox switch, but as usual I have more than plug’n’play plans for it! ?

Great to hear that you had some luck and got the first batch and awesome that it made a great impact on SQ! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks Micael, 

So the plot thickens. I had a rummage around in my box of delights (well spares and junk) and rescued an IFI Ipower to power the LPS-1 that's now powering my Aqvox. 

But I also found an IFI Groundhog that I'd forgotten about. I bought it when messing around with John Svennson shunt tricks. So the Groundhog includes a DC barrel connector and thus can be applied to the power connector going into the Aqvox. I guess I need to give it a go. Any thoughts on whether this is comparable to the grounding wire route you are suggesting? 

Thanks, 

Alan 

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Micael, 

So the plot thickens. I had a rummage around in my box of delights (well spares and junk) and rescued an IFI Ipower to power the LPS-1 that's now powering my Aqvox. 

But I also found an IFI Groundhog that I'd forgotten about. I bought it when messing around with John Svennson shunt tricks. So the Groundhog includes a DC barrel connector and thus can be applied to the power connector going into the Aqvox. I guess I need to give it a go. Any thoughts on whether this is comparable to the grounding wire route you are suggesting? 

Thanks, 

Alan 

Hi Alan,

If you have iFi groundhog it will be useful both as a JSGT and Aqvox GND screw. It is the very same thing as I suggested. No difference. Just be a bit adventurous and try different grounding receptacles/spots since these can vary depending on setup. In my setup external grounding is only beneficial with router (JSGT) and Aqvox switch (JSGT and GND screw). Good luck and remember to have fun while experimenting! ?

Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

Update - started some music playing via Tidal (some Shawn Colvin for a nice start to Saturday morning!) and was able to swap the LPS-1 input for the stock without interrupting playback :ph34r:

Yup a subtle but audible improvement. Blacks seem, er, blacker. Not night and day but I like it. 

@toetapaudio I must have missed that port 1 in, port 8 out. Was using 1 for in by luck but 6 out. Swapped to 8 for out but don't notice a difference. Out of interest what's the theory here?

Using Ghent Audio 'JSSG' ethernet cables. Been tempted by the SOtM cables for a while but they're eye-wateringly expensive. 

Thanks for the tips! 

Cheers, 

Alan 

PM sent.

There is a theory about port 1 and 8 but I forgot what it is right now, so I will need to get back to you. Perhaps Cornan can chime in here. Other people have confirmed on other forums that they can hear an improvement.

1 hour ago, toetapaudio said:

PM sent.

There is a theory about port 1 and 8 but I forgot what it is right now, so I will need to get back to you. Perhaps Cornan can chime in here. Other people have confirmed on other forums that they can hear an improvement.

Correct @toetapaudio! Port 1 input and port 8 output sound by far the best with Aqvox switch. Also IME using a TP Link RE650 (wireless adapter) connected to Aqvox is a great upgrade and sounds better than direct connection to router with Tidal.

🎛️  Audio System  

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what is the current draw of the AQ-SWITCH-SE or AQ-SWITCH-8?

I just bought an HDPlex LPS to feed my modded Mac Mini and the WiFi bridge (Netgear EX7000) and I want to check if I can plug in also my AQ-SWITCH-SE using the 5V DC out of the HDPlex.

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

I have no idea of a number for the current draw but it'll be very low. 

I'd be very surprised if adding it to your HDPlex caused any issues in terms of current draw. But I'm no expert. 

Again I'm no expert but I'd be potentially more concerned about the direct connection you're creating between the Mac Mini, WiFi Bridge and the Aqvox. Theoretically there's the potential for leakage across them. 

Given the isolation (Wi-Fi or Lan) between the Mac Mini and Aqvox, I'd personally be tempted to put the best power on the Aqvox. That said playing around and seeing what sounds best is probably best. 

Hopefully someone more technical than me can chime in. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

27 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I'd be very surprised if adding it to your HDPlex caused any issues in terms of current draw. But I'm no expert. 

Again I'm no expert but I'd be potentially more concerned about the direct connection you're creating between the Mac Mini, WiFi Bridge and the Aqvox. Theoretically there's the potential for leakage across them. 

Given the isolation (Wi-Fi or Lan) between the Mac Mini and Aqvox, I'd personally be tempted to put the best power on the Aqvox. That said playing around and seeing what sounds best is probably best. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

I cannot remember the exact current draw of the Aqvox switch-8, but it is well below 0,5 A. I am using LT3045/500mA in series (w/1v drop) powering the Aqvox with great results.

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Cheers, 

Alan 

Thanks Alan.

Regarding the risk of direct connection the HDPlex 200W has separated ground for each output rail, which means there is no cross RFI/EMI interference.

If that is what you referred to...

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

I cannot remember the exact current draw of the Aqvox switch-8, but it is well below 0,5 A. I am using LT3045/500mA in series (w/1v drop) powering the Aqvox with great results.

Great!

The HDPlex can go up to 3A on the 5V output so I should be ok.

4 hours ago, doraymon said:

Thanks Alan.

Regarding the risk of direct connection the HDPlex 200W has separated ground for each output rail, which means there is no cross RFI/EMI interference.

Hi @doraymon yeah that's what I meant. Sorry  I'm not familiar with the HDPlex but it sounds like you've got it covered.

Cheers, 

Alan 

7 hours ago, doraymon said:

Thanks Alan.

Well that is not really how the 200W is done if you look inside it. There are 3 windings and 3 rectifiers. The 19V and 19-5V share the same winding and rectifier so these two outputs share the same ground. 

I now see that the 200W on HD Plex homepage looks different than my 200W that has the adjustable knob on the backside to change 5-19.5V and it states that it have seperate grounds but if I am not wrong that also was written on mine but that was not the case....

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
6 hours ago, octaviars said:

Well that is not really how the 200W is done if you look inside it. There are 3 windings and 3 rectifiers. The 19V and 19-5V share the same winding and rectifier so these two outputs share the same ground. 

I now see that the 200W on HD Plex homepage looks different than my 200W that has the adjustable knob on the backside to change 5-19.5V and it states that it have seperate grounds but if I am not wrong that also was written on mine but that was not the case....

A little extra info...

On the new one you adjust the 5-19v on the inside (I think it comes out of the factory set to 9v if I recall correctly). The 19v output is also adjustable even though it isn't labelled that it is.

13 minutes ago, mfin said:

A little extra info...

On the new one you adjust the 5-19v on the inside (I think it comes out of the factory set to 9v if I recall correctly). The 19v output is also adjustable even though it isn't labelled that it is.

Ok, I see.

Perhaps then it has 4 seperate windings and rectifiers in this new version as I was a bit disappointed when I opened mine and found only 3 windings on the transformer. 

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
14 hours ago, octaviars said:

Ok, I see.

Perhaps then it has 4 seperate windings and rectifiers in this new version as I was a bit disappointed when I opened mine and found only 3 windings on the transformer. 

Thanks for the heads up, I will write to the manufacturer to ask the question.

36 minutes ago, doraymon said:

Thanks for the heads up, I will write to the manufacturer to ask the question.

Hi @doraymon on another thread it looked like you've already pulled the trigger on the HDPlex, so give it a go and see how it sounds. That's all that really matters at the end of the day.

Cheers, 

Alan 

Hi @doraymon on another thread it looked like you've already pulled the trigger on the HDPlex, so give it a go and see how it sounds. That's all that really matters at the end of the day.

Cheers, 

Alan 

Yea I did and yes what counts is how it sounds however it doesn’t hurt to match what I hear with the technical side of it.

I’m an engineer, I can’t help it! Lol

17 hours ago, octaviars said:

Ok, I see.

3 rails in LPS is not bad, especially for the price they charge :P.

1 hour ago, Summit said:

Well the problem was that HD Plex wrote 4 seperate rails on the webpage and it has 4 rails but 2 rails share the same ground....perhaps it is different in the new one I dont know.

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, Summit said:

I have 3 HDPlex LPS's and find then to be a very good value, reliable, and flexible. For two of my attached devices I pulled out their SMPS and put in a 3045 regulator board which is feed from the HDPlex.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 2018-03-25 at 2:56 PM, mourip said:

I have 3 HDPlex LPS's and find then to be a very good value, reliable, and flexible. For two of my attached devices I pulled out their SMPS and put in a 3045 regulator board which is feed from the HDPlex.

Do you use the 3045 regulator board to regulate to another voltage than the output of the HDPlex (5v, 12v 19v) or it’s for “cleaning up” the power of the HDPlex?