IGNORED

Can Jriver Media Centre be used with SoTm sms200 ultra?

Hi all

I hooked up my sms200ultra to my router (also connected to my NAS where music is stored) and installed the Roon core on my music PC. The sms200ultra has worked flawlessly so far but i don't like the Roon interface. I would like to try and use Jriver Media Centre as a player instead of Roon and would be grateful for some assistance in setting it up correctly with the sms200. If you need more information about my setup that i failed to include than please let me know. Thanks

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

DLNA mode in SMS 200 and in Jriver

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks firedog. Funnily enough this is what JimH suggested on the Jriver support forum but unfortunately i struggled and struggled and couldn't make it work. The sms200 just didn't show under 'playing now'. His suggestions were really unhelpful so i gave up. A day later the sms200 appeared. 

I have been dragging one album at a time to play it through the sms200. Is that the only way of doing it or can i get my whole library available to play with the sms200 as i would normally?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

In Jriver, go tools > options > media network. Check the first box (Use media network . . .). Then click on Advanced and check the DLNA server box. Should be good to go.

From there, the sms 200 should be visible at the top right of the main screen under playing now. Select the sms200 first then select the music you want to play in your library.

Of course, the sms200 must be in DLNA mode . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Does anyone know if it is possible to use Jriver's the DSP engine (upsampling etc) when streaming via UPnP to sMS-200 ? 

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I am newbie to SOtM.  I plugged my music library using USB port on sMS 200.  I found the same problem as reported above - I can see the server name on my JRiver player from file/Library.  But I was told the library was empty and I have nothing to play.  I should say, I just loaded the library, the files may still being imported.  Should I wait for a day or do to get the access of library?

Thank you very much for your help!

I noticed the issue - my hard drive was malfunctioned due to the reboot of the sMS 200.  Fortunately, I recovered it but it confirmed my concern of hard drive keeps spinning when sMS 200 is powered.  Will try again tonight.  I read on this foram that people do not connect hard drive to sMS 200 directly.  One possibility I’d attached on the router.  The other may be through WiFi as sMS 200 can have an access to WIFi now.  Am I speculating too much?

thank you for the help!

Why can't you just attach the USB HDD to the machine that's running JRiver Media Center in the first place? That way you are not geting JRiver to unnecessarily use the network maintaining and providing the audio library built from the files contained in the HDD.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I would have the sms-200 just as an endpoint playing music and the hard disk connected to your computer running Jriver. Select dlna on the sms-200 and have the Jriver computer setup as a dlna server. You'll then see the sms-200 as a zone which you can send files to.  The thinking behind this is you keep your end point as 'quiet' as possible.

I have run the setup described above in the past and I also directly connected my computer and sms-200 as I found this gave the best sound quality before I got the Sotm switch, which I found made a very surprisingly large improvement to the sound.

• 6 months later...
On 4/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, Traildog said:

I would have the sms-200 just as an endpoint playing music and the hard disk connected to your computer running Jriver. Select dlna on the sms-200 and have the Jriver computer setup as a dlna server. You'll then see the sms-200 as a zone which you can send files to.  The thinking behind this is you keep your end point as 'quiet' as possible.

I have run the setup described above in the past and I also directly connected my computer and sms-200 as I found this gave the best sound quality before I got the Sotm switch, which I found made a very surprisingly large improvement to the sound.

I have tested the following:  connect HDD to the router, the Ethernet connection to sMS 200.  The Mac with JRiver was directed to play the file on HDD but using WIFI communicating with sMS 200 through router.  This approach appears to eliminate the glare edge on the trembles in the case that Mac was connected to router through cable.  

How do you achieve connecting sMS 200 with computer directly without using WiFi router?  

Thank you very morning much. 

On 4/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, Traildog said:

I have tested the following:  connect HDD to the router, the Ethernet connection to sMS 200.  The Mac with JRiver was directed to play the file on HDD but using WIFI communicating with sMS 200 through router.  This approach appears to eliminate the glare edge on the trembles in the case that Mac was connected to router through cable.  

How do you achieve connecting sMS 200 with computer directly without using WiFi router?  

Thank you very morning much. 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:29 AM, Traildog said:

Have a look at the long thread here which should give you details on how to directly do this. I'm afraid I don't know Macs well enough to give you full instructions.

I did “the bridged” approach as well as the WiFi/router approach, namely both MacBook and sMS 200 were connected to a WiFi router which was attached to a HDD using USB.  Both approaches sound great and superior to if either MacBook and/or sMS200 were connected to the same router with Ethernet cables.  The difference between “the bridged” approach and WiFi-router approach lies in the former sounds a tad bit more glare on the trembles therefore more exciting to listen to whereas the WiFi-router approach lacks such a glare on the high-frequency range, but sounds more real to me compared to the classical music I listened from concert.