IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

18 hours ago, jabbr said:

I think that, probably, folks intend to disagree with an idea, an approach or even a way of thinking but instead attack a person (an audiophile)

So I strongly think that if we could all avoid personal attacks, this behavior would diminish

I agree of course. My point was only that there is a big difference between the people in the hobby, vs the hobby itself. I don't really like the word "hobby." And of course, there is a big difference between being a "non-audiophile" and an "anti-audiophile." Hopefully, this site will bring together both Audiophiles and "anti-audiophiles" through (computer), or digital file playback. Traditionally, (since way back in the .mp3 days) it is computer, (hardware and software designers), who have eschewed the audiophile paradigm of "high performance equipment." To the point of your post: in many ways, - you (not you but people) don't see "audiophiles" making a concerted point to attack those who don't believe there are varying levels of performance in audio playback gear.  Cheers,

34 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I wasn't thinking of a specific subgroup of audiophiles. Don't all audiophiles think there are differences in at least some playback gear? -- could you clarify?

Hi,

We can get into some specific instances, and that is often great: for when someone starts elucidating specific equipment, & specific incidents/experiences, - many generalizations (might) fall apart.

We've discussed cables, & there are threads regarding the Schiit Yiggy as 1 example. In this particular case, there was a segment of folks who were criticizing the design, and all those who were asserting that higher performing DACs were NOT higher performing, and that there was no basis for an audiophile assertion that (for example) a Meitner performs much better than a $350 Sony. I took Jud's OP to be asking, - why do anti-audiophiles come on audiophile website & attack audiophiles? I see this as a very valid question. And, there have been some good answers put forth already. Would it be worthwhile to remind folks that everyone likely has 4 to 5 or more music playback systems. The point being that it is highly likely that not all of these systems perform the same.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

However, causing "collateral damage" serious. I get a bad taste in my mouth after reading your comment.

"" wee bit of fun at beliefs.""

If I may add, - how would someone define "beliefs" here? Are there some tests, some evidence, or some "proofs,"  or level of components, or price point of components that allow one to escape this "collateral damage."  And doesn't it go beyond fun? Is someone calling someone else a "liar" considered more than just a "wee bit of fun?" How do we know the difference between, belief and a real performance difference?

1 minute ago, master said:

Yes, it could certainly be interpreted that way. But let me "attempt" to put things in a different way.

That said I've also met folks who refuse to watch such gems because they are not redone in color, are not high definition, come with black bars even on the sides, are in crappy Standard Definition, ad on DVD, and certainly no high definition version, and all I could find was a bad 240P version of the show... but I still watched it and enjoyed it immensely.

Hi,

Thanks for this response. I really appreciate it. Coming from a songwriting background, I know too well how one can be obsessed with gear and get lost in minutiae of "detail" of the sound to the point where they're not enjoying the music. I've learned the hard way and now will never buy music that I don't like because it was "well recorded." And, I think that many of us know musicians who "listen for content" on crappy stereos and enjoy themselves immensely. I can tell you as recording "co-producer" I felt like I had to be obsessed both with instrument tone & writing and playing content.

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

Of course, before we get all self-congratulatory, it's good to note that we *can* go through the trial and error method literally "too often."  There is, sadly, not enough time to do all we want.  So it can be very helpful to try to limit alternatives to the most promising ones.

Yes... can't disagree with you at all. And if i may add, - this is all contextual. Hopefully, very few people if any are going to plug in $12,000 speaker cables into a $600 Denon DM100 all-in-one system with stand-mount Mission speakers. I would hazard that probably no one would ever do something this extreme, (and admit it), for they would be the hugest target for derision. My point is that I am not discounting that people get obsessed and go too far down the path of diminishing returns, and even in a backwards direction trying to eek out something that becomes "out of context" and cannot be heard.

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

Sorry, when someone is just so fundamentally incorrect and giving out advice you want the person that knows how it actually works to stay mum?

I'll generally get into it with someone that won't put on the blinders and do ears only, bias controlled, evaluation. Even more so if they are a manufacturer.

Of course new knowledge doesn't change the way's things sound. Including changes that are just 100% self delusion.

I guess that it all comes down to how you subjectively define "works." When the "advice" is "this sounds great to me," - how is that wrong? When you compare stereo "a" to "b" and it's actually "working," - do you need to know how either "works" to know if you prefer one or the other?

But, - I guess those questions above are not "good science" to you, and will be deserving of the forthcoming derision towards me as a person.

On 6/23/2017 at 2:59 PM, plissken said:

You are missing the point: The mechanism of transfer doesn't matter at that point. The sound either changes with the cable plugged in or unplugged at that point even though music is clearly being played back out of buffer.

Jud asked why there is a push against subjectivity here. This is a prime example as to why.

You can't represent at being an expert at something that you don't have any understanding of how it works.

No one can claim expertise at anything that is as complicated & varied, and subjective. I am not claiming to be an expert.

"The sound either changes with the cable plugged in or unplugged at that point even though music is clearly being played back out of buffer."

No, - the noise "could" be carried into the buffer. No one is attaching audio qualities to CAT7 Ethernet. They are attaching the OSI model and data transmission qualities to the cable. CAT 7 IS higher bandwidth than CAT5.

The push by a few angry & bitter naysayers isn't against subjectivity, it's against science.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Not so. The buffer stores digital sample values as received over the wire. There is no mechanism by which it could store anything else, including noise.

Yes, 10G Ethernet requires Cat 6 (for short distances) or Cat 7 (up to 100 m) cabling. The 1G Ethernet most common in domestic networks is perfectly fine over Cat 5e. Also, the required cable quality depends only on the link speed, not on the actual utilised data rate. A saturated link is just as reliable as a barely used one.

""The buffer stores digital sample values as received over the wire. There is no mechanism by which it could store anything else, including noise.""

However much ground loop noise, & poorly timed those digital samples are....

""A saturated link is just as reliable as a barely used one.""

Reliability is not the issue, - timing is. It may be why people with sensitive systems report an increase in SQ with devices with "better" clocks.

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

So while I do pay attention to any objective reports of relevant facts about equipment I'm interested in, I also pay attention to whether people whose tastes seem to coincide with mine like that equipment.

but someone whose tastes seem similar to mine says it sounds good, then I'm more likely to consider buying it.

The owner of Jadis talks about his amps making violin concertos, strings, & small orchestras sound "right" to him. He is not interested in making Radiohead, rock, or jazz music sound good. He doesn't like trap drum-kits. He says that if you want an all around amplifier that handles chamber music and techno music well, - then go elsewhere. He's not building gear for dance music. The speakers that he "shows" with are indeed, big, & lumbering.

3 hours ago, semente said:

All but cabinet resonance?

Most Wilsons are large, which allows them to play loud and extend the bottom quite low, and some are not very difficult to drive.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-sophia-series-3-loudspeaker-measurements

What else have they got going for them?

The press...and the price.

Just using the Sophia as an example of a speaker that many are fond of and measures well & has a unique cabinet design that is more damped than others. According to Wilson, they recommend placing the speakers far apart with a really significant toe-in. But I've found that they sound "better" driven by high current amps, and set up in a more "normal" configuration where they are closer together with less toe in. I have thought they also sound better in a very live room.

I didn't mention a particular Dynaudio model number in my post.

My point was that the final sound of a particular system is contingent on a much more complicated experience and that the speaker's measurements done by Stereophile, or in a particular situation often do not reflect real world listening experiences at events, or what someone chooses as their amplification, cables, source, & in their room.

And.............

Wilson Sophias and most speakers even approaching this level sound very different depending on the other components that they are matched with, - something no measurement will ever tell. You cannot look at a series of speaker measurements and determine what they sound like in a real world scenario. Most speaker designers at this level take measurements only after they love the sound, and the speaker sounds exactly like they want it to, with their fav amplification, source, cables, etc.

Cheers,

20 hours ago, semente said:

I quite agree with this piece called "AUDIO RELATIVISM" - the new disease and excuse:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/philos.html#Rel

16 hours ago, esldude said:

I may have read it wrong, I took him to mean 60 db down from the 80 db.  Not that you turn volume down that far.  Rather that various small little details below the peak are being reproduced at these tiny small levels.  So yes some of those are down at 100,000th of a watt or millionth.  Maybe a more codified test of noisefloor modulation would be worth looking at though with solid state gear of quality I think it would turn out to be a waste of time.

LOL

What a great straw man.

Anything that has to do with the human body is somehow "less-than"

This argument is religious, nearly devoid of any sort of scientific inquiry.