IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

15 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I have over three days of listening in now with the ISO Regen/USPCB in place. The differences I keep coming back to are in soundstage, clarity, detail, and reduced noise. The best metaphor I can come up with is that everything was a just a bit blurry before and is now in razor sharp focus. The timbre in instruments and voices have more resolution. In my setup, the individual differences are subtle, but the overall effect is not. 

Having recently picked up a new camera body, I have a similar, but slightly different analogy.  Compared to my previous camera, the new has improved resolution, contrast, and color rendition.  Pictures from each of them can be equally in focus.  But when comparing pictures between cameras, pictures from the newer camera tend to be more "striking", and I can see "deeper" into them, resulting in more "wow, that's a really great photo" with the new body.

Pretty similar to the effect of the ISO Regen.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

Headphone impressions – speaker impressions in a post earlier today.

LCD-3’s and GSX mk2.   The first obvious impression with headphones was that bass was super, super tight and punchy.  The overall impression was one of clean, quiet, and extreme detail – and LCD-3’s aren’t particularly known for extreme detail….  The changes due to the ISO didn’t jump out at me like they did with speakers though.  Maybe due to the loss of spatial information with headphones when compared to well set up speakers.  Improvements in clarity and detail due to the ISO were clearly there, but with my LCD-3’s, the improvements seemed more subtle than with speakers.

Transportable system – see sig.  Spent a day at work (lol) switching between the ISO and standard Regen – I actually tried to get some work done, honest!  The Westone ES5 isn’t the most detailed CIEM out there, but much of the “vivid” character that I appreciated with speakers still managed to make it through on this system.  Could be bad for wallet.

Standard caveat:  my system, my ears – YMMV.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

6 minutes ago, greenleo said:

how many times did you switch between IR and Regen?  I expect that would be 1s for all?

You might think that - lol.   But I probably switched back and forth at least 20 times trying to understand the differences.

50 minutes ago, scottmac62 said:

Just wondering if anyone can compare the tonality of the original REGEN to that of the IR.  

One comparison here:  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Would you term the ISO as adding warmth, brightness, or is neutral?

I find it to be entirely neutral.  It seems to remove background noise that you don't realize is there until it's gone, with the result that more of the music gets through.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TomNC said:

Now I wonder whether anybody has succeeded in using an iPhone/iPad as a digital source through a CCK lightning adaptor leading to the ISO and then a DAC

If you have made it work with an iPhone/iPad and the ISO, please enlighten me how you did it. Thanks.

That is my regular work desktop setup.  No problems.  iPad mini -> CCK -> hard adapter -> ISO Regen -> hard adapter -> Solo -db.  I've also previously used the standard Regen with a similar setup into my QB-9.  Feel free to PM me also.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, mancebito said:

Hey, guys... I´m wondering about ordering the ISO Regen... I already have a Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator... Have any of you tried adding the Vbus2 in the chain (before or after the ISO-R?

It wouldn't make sense to place it before the ISO Regen, as the ISO Regen draws power from the USB connection.

As to after, the USPCB adapter that comes with the ISO Regen has a switch to disconnect the Vbus power should you want to do so.  If you use the USPCB, the Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator wouldn't be needed after either.