• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, audio.bill said:

I haven't but I think that preference will likely come down to whether the DAC being used excels in PCM or DSD.

Which you will only know by comparing the DXD with the DSD:D

Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues - ALL TRACKS - DXD (352khz) PREMIUM (5.82 GB)

€25.00

Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues - ALL TRACKS - DSD256                         (5.61 GB)€25.00

Would be nice if they would those 2 files on their free sampler;

CompareFormats300Shadowv2.pngSound Liaison Compare formats sampler

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very interesting reading the producer's notes. Thanks for posting. 

This explains the unique feel this album has. And hat's off to the musicians!

''

Normally when recording a live concert, I record the ”dress rehearsal” as well in order to have repair material just in case parts of the actual concert does not go as planned. However due to a technical failure, which I only managed to solve 10 minutes(!) before the start of the concert, this was no longer possible. So this recording is all one-take!

Carmen Gomes Inc. is a working band with lots of “road experience” they remained calm and in good spirits despite the mildly chaotic rehearsal situation. Maybe the failed dress rehearsal contributed to the extraordinary dedication and concentration they performed with at the actual concert. It was now or never.''

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 8:26 PM, al210 said:

I was going to buy the Carmen Gomes DXD but have a question.  I use a Mac Mini running the latest version of Audrivana feeding my Chord 2Qute DAC.

I can't find anywhere where Audrivana can play DXD files. Would I be better off downloading the 352kHz flac version?

Flac DXD or Wav DXD should not make a difference.

You are probably better of with a lower resolution or test first with the test files; https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/6-compare-formats

compare2017shadow200v75.png

• 4 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, JoeWhip said:

After getting over a head cold, I was finally able to sit down today and listen to the new Witmer Trio release. Sonically, Frans hit it out of the park with this one. As with their first release, this group has some interesting and appealing takes on tunes. Very nice and a very natural sound. It has none of the shortcomings I noted above with the Carmen Gomes one mike set. Sensational bass and drums. The piano and violin sound perfect. Well done.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:30 AM, blue2 said:

Nice one! Witmer Trio - Free especially as it's on offer at €10 for DSD - €20 for DXD

On 3/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, PAP said:

I just downloaded the new Witmer Trio album. It is not a one mic but none the less it sounds fantastic. Check that drum sound...whew...

[video]

[/video]

The Feenbrothers and the Witmer Trio, two completely different albums both in repertoire, playing style and sound and yet there's something that unifies them, the sound of the studio I guess.

@JoeWhip, you being our jazz piano expert,( I've read you excellent Bennie Green review) which piano sound do you prefer the old fashioned Feenbrothers or the more ''modern" Witmer trio?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, oso said:

They just released another ´´laid back´´ jazz album.

Vibraphone, piano and upright bass, delicious music and SQ but indeed very laid back. I like it but it is jazz ,and  very well played jazz as well.

spacer.pngBorn to be Blue

Very enjoyable album. The playing is exquisite, sound stage is more like the Witmer album, it is not a one mic but a 7 mic recording 😀 and it is very laid back but real jazz. As a jazz fan I'm very impressed with the playing of these master musicians. Jazz is alive and doing well in the Netherlands it seems.

• 4 months later...
On 3/17/2019 at 1:01 AM, zacster said:

I downloaded Carmen Gomes in spite of my reservations about her singing style.  I'll have to say it sounds incredible.  I went for the DXD version since my system can handle it natively through the entire chain.  I'm in the next room now typing this and it feels like they are playing in the other room.  I just wish they would play something that really jumps, maybe later in the album, that would be fun to hear.  They may be on to something with this single mic, although I doubt there is much that it would suitable for beyond these small ensembles.

I'm also interested in hearing this through headphones, given its vaguely binaural origin.  My wife has my only decent ones on a trip so I'll have to wait.  My iFi Nano iDSD is DXD capable as well so I'll see.

I can confirm that those one mic recordings sounds incredible on my headphones.

You hear everything.

"Where can I go without you'' from the ''Don't You Cry'' album is a prime example.

The touch of the fingers on the instruments, even the breath of the singer when she is not singing.

I use that track to show off the quality of my Sennheisers to friends.

spacer.pngDon't You Cry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 4:04 PM, PAP said:

She is really growing as a musician. Compare Love in Vain and Come on in my kitchen with her earlier versions on the Torn album.

I like the older versions but on this album she is singing with a laid back confidence and a freedom in phrasing reminding me of some of the great horn players from the past. Maybe this way of phrasing is more jazz than blues but come to think of it all of my favorite jazz  has some blues in it and here the songs are all blues. Best of both worlds.

Got the CD this weekend and listened last night. What a trip. Finally a band that dares to make a concept album.

I am big Robert Johnson fan and have all the covers of his songs made from the likes of Elmore James and Eric Clapton to the Rolling Stones and what have you, but Carmen Gomes Inc takes first place in my top 10, why? They have made the songs their own. In no way do they try emulate Robert Johnson, instead they seem to have looked at each song and explored the song it self, so not Robert Johnson the artist but Robert Johnson the composer. So refreshing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, m.i.c.k.e.y said:

Not DXD but one mic recording from 2xHD (but available as download format).

Trio de Curda performs a program of Tango and Latin music, built around Astor Piazzolla’s monumental “Libertango”. Recorded “off-the-floor” on 1/4″ Analog Tape on a Nagra IV-S Tape Recorder in CCIR eq curve, with no overdubs and no editing. Only one Neumann Stereo Tube Microphone (SM69) was used in the Pure Blumlein microphone technique.

Link: https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/2xhdft1182-trio-de-curda-libertango/

q6apD2Fm.jpg

MP3 Samples:

1. Los Mareados

2. Libertango

3. Choclo

4. Oblivion

5. Adios Nonino

Very nice album. Bass is a bit boomy, but it does have that one mic quality, no phase cancellation?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/8/2021 at 4:51 PM, JoeWhip said:

Another beautiful one mic recording dropped today at Sound Liaison, Amulet, with Michael Moore on clarinet and Paul Berner on bass. Superb sound.

image.jpeg.cdf8a1a04fa2543b7ed731b29cb57883.jpeg

And ideal combination for the One Microphone recording technique. The music is lovely and so well played.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 7:40 PM, JoeWhip said:

image.jpeg.1761b44f0abeef10cc0f70c971ab1224.jpeg

Another great new recording from the folks at Sound Liaison. I had never heard of the Chris Maene straight string piano before. This is the first jazz recording using this instrument. Fabulous full rich yet detailed sound. May have to listen to this one twice today.

Most impressive album but I guess the special surrondings does contribute to the extraordinary sound quality;

.......the perfect placement of the lowest note completely to the left and the highest completely to the right is a sound engineer's dream come true.
Another dream come true was recording the beautiful 'wood' reverb in the old church.

The sound of this church is really special.

A normal stone church has a never ending brittle sustain that can be difficult to handle when recording but the sound in this little church is warm and lush with a gorgeous natural decay."    Frans de Rond; see complete liner notes