IGNORED

Oops! They Did It Again!

@Ralf11 If you can hear the difference between redbook (16-44) and 24-96 or 24-192 and it matters to you, you will very likely hear the redbook - SACD/DSD difference (and it will matter to you too).

I wrote about it before on CA - in my system I find in particular the DSD top end very 'attractive' (sweet, smooth, which is important to me). I heard some time ago that 'Stereophile' has proved that DSD resolution above 10kHz is comparable with 16-768, I didn't manage to find their article on this topic though (even if it's so I'm lucky enough to be a subjectivist so I may not care ;)).

@mansr Have you by any chance explored this matter (DSD high frequencies resolution).?

Beside that I believe that in many (maybe even most!) cases the SACD remasters are better done (eg label discussed here but not only) than 24 bit ones. 

But you know it's my system and my taste, why don't you check it out for yourself?

actually, I've never heard 24-96 or 24-192

I do have ~~20 SACDs and they sounded fine (when I had an SACD player, which I don't at the moment).  I think I'll just ignore SACD releases for now, while waiting for Oppo to get their new player out.

40 minutes ago, mansr said:

As for the claim that "DSD resolution above 10kHz is comparable with 16-768,"

The claim that Stereophile has proved it may be false. It came from an untrustworthy source. I searched for the article on that quite hard and didn't find it. To me DSD high frequencies sound very (!) differnent from 16 bit (at least from 16-44)! Thanks for your explanation!

6 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

The claim that Stereophile has proved it may be false. It came from an untrustworthy source. I searched for the article on that quite hard and didn't find it. To me DSD high frequencies sound very (!) differnent from 16 bit (at least from 16-44)! Thanks for your explanation!

Forget about proof. It's not even clear what it's supposed to mean.

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Are you aware of any other tests?

Accidentally just read this. I think you can call it 'other test'. Quote:

'Interestingly, back in 1999, JA concluded his DSD discussion with these words:

The proof of any audio pudding is in the hearing, and in that respect DSD-encoding would seem to be beyond reproach. Every Stereophile writer who has auditioned DSD under critical conditions has found it both very much better than 16/44.1k CD and much closer to the analog experience.'
The whole article:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-about-dsd

Edit : Doing the (probbably not existing) Stereophile article search again, just saw this too:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/dsd-v-pcm-file-comparison-16441-2496-24192-64x-dsd-128x-dsd
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

A meta-analysis published in JAES in 2016 found that listeners, if trained, could distinguish HiRes from Redbook CD... 52% correct, which is not much.

52%, hmmm.. too many correct answers IMO. I'd rather be in more elitary club ;)

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

A meta-analysis published in JAES in 2016 found that listeners, if trained, could distinguish HiRes from Redbook CD... 52% correct, which is not much.

Yes training is NECESSARY to successfully participate in blind testing - it doesn't mean that in normal listening differences are not perceived.

Surprising that someone who claims to have a background in such perceptual testing doesn't know this & has to emphasise it  in italics

It's also very surprising that you don't understand the statistical significance of 52% claiming it's "not much"

mmmerl, I don't know what you do when not mucking about on the internet, but almost every clause and sentence in your post is incorrect.

I'd like to see some definitive tests done, but right now it appears that SACD per se is not a huge SQ increment over Redbook CD, and that large differences are due to mastering or recording quality.

Unfortunately, there also appears no way to ensure that attention to SQ is done, except by getting impressions from those who have compared various releases before buying.

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

mmmerl, I don't know what you do when not mucking about on the internet, but almost every clause and sentence in your post is incorrect.

Well, I've a pretty good idea that your handwaving denial without any specific details in you reply is proof of just what I said

13 hours ago, mmerrill99 said:

Surprising that someone who claims to have a background in such perceptual testing doesn't know this & has to emphasise it  in italics

It's also very surprising that you don't understand the statistical significance of 52% claiming it's "not much"

16 hours ago, mmerrill99 said:

He's right though, it's not much. (Statistical significance,)

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

6 hours ago, Don Hills said:

He's right though, it's not much. (Statistical significance,)

No, he's not right & his post shows that he doesn't work in the area despite his many claims that he lectures in this field.

How many trials were in this Meta analysis? 12,645 is it? What is the number of correct answers needed for a statistical significant result? 

To just cross the 0.05 significance threshold for cumulative p, one needs 6419/12645 correct (50.8%), for a p = 0.043

Furthermore, the results were categorised into 2 groups - trained & untrained. The untrained groups got an aggregate mean of 51% correct; the trained group 62% right on average ( a range of means of 56.9-74.7% ).

So ralf11's statement "

On 20/05/2017 at 7:07 AM, Ralf11 said:

that listeners, if trained, could distinguish HiRes from Redbook CD... 52% correct, which is not much.

is both factually incorrect, trained listeners achieved 62% correct (or as high as 74% in some studies) & shows he doesn't comprehend statistics 101

Reiss, in the paper, also comments on the bias evident in most of the test studies towards Type II error, a bias toward not hearing a difference where there was one - so, in fact, with this bias towards a null in many such tests, the meta study signifies more ability to discriminate than the results suggest.

What field do you think I claimed I lectured in?

Also, mmril - you should read the actual article before commenting.  You will not look like such a fool that way.

Let me know if you are unable to use Google to find it.

47 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

What field do you think I claimed I lectured in?

Also, mmril - you should read the actual article before commenting.  You will not look like such a fool that way.

Let me know if you are unable to use Google to find it.

You teach biology, AFAIR & you claim some knowledge of psychoacoustics (surely you must know stats 101)

Here's your chance to make a fool of me rather than pretend you know more than you do - go on then argue specific errors in what I posted & let's see you back up your generalised barb!!

No,

training is not NECESSARY to successfully participate in blind testing - whatever that means

it doesn't mean that in normal listening differences are not perceived. -- What?

mmerril  doesn't understand the statistical significance of the 52% finding in the article

but no, it's "not much"

For the record, I am retired from being a Biology Professor and no longer teach 

Now, I don't know what you do, but I hope it is not anything important.

On 21/05/2017 at 8:19 PM, Ralf11 said:

No,

training is not NECESSARY to successfully participate in blind testing - whatever that means

it doesn't mean that in normal listening differences are not perceived. -- What?

mmerril  doesn't understand the statistical significance of the 52% finding in the article

but no, it's "not much"

For the record, I am retired from being a Biology Professor and no longer teach 

Now, I don't know what you do, but I hope it is not anything important.

You obviously don't know the first thing about perceptual testing but that was obvious from the start

Instead of handwaving & dealing in generalities, try to address just one specific point I made - that might show what you know. At the moment you are demonstrating a dearth of knowledge in the area - generalized claims with nothing to back them up

2 hours ago, mmerrill99 said:

I, mmerriill99, am making the following generalized claims with nothing to back them up:

You obviously don't know the first thing about perceptual testing but that was obvious from the start

Instead of handwaving & dealing in generalities, try to address just one specific point I made - that might show what you know. At the moment you are demonstrating a dearth of knowledge in the area

...and personal attacks too.  Is today troll day or something?

I also suggest that you write to the editors of JAES regarding your criticisms of the methodology used by these experts*.  I feel certain that the editors would just love to hear you from you.

* their bios are on the site