IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

1 hour ago, Middy said:

I cant find it.. can you link it please Jud.

Why I've been nagging Mr S but I didn't realise people threw a fit over a theory...

It'll be a while, Dave - going out shortly, may not get back in front of a keyboard until tomorrow.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, pl_svn said:

AQ. but... let's wait for John's approval of the "electrically charging" the shielding before jumping on them ;)

Omega Mikro has battery-connected copper mesh surrounding their ribbons.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Should be dead easy to use the screw terminals with pin as a right angle connector, right?

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Any advice on buying cable shielding? Should I get copper?  Tin copper?  Where is a good source to buy?

You can look at the DIY page on Omega Mikro's site.  The tricky part would be getting rid of insulation to connect the shield material.  You would want to call the principal, Ron Bauman, to ask about that.

3 hours ago, Middy said:

Ordered just for the effort of arranging this....Fantastic work..

Thank you

@R1200CL

Only reason I'm not is because I need a right angle bend at the Regen end.  Have a few screw terminal plugs of the right size sitting around, so just need to order the cable and some heat shrink tubing.  (Hope that tubing can do a decent right angle.)

9 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

Hi Jud - you'll need 19mm(3/4") min. Heatshrink to fit over the screw type 2.1mm plug - 3:1 shrink ratio would be best

I think you could heat it up to shrink while its straight then put the 90 deg. bend in it while the Heatshrink is still hot

Michael

Thanks, much appreciated.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I think Ghent can do 90 degrees for those who ask. I did not knew Oyaide offered this version. 

Well that is welcome news.

1 hour ago, m5sime said:

I doubt you will hear any benefit from the Ghent one.. Your cable looks great. Nice and simple.. Maybe a spot of heat shrink to tidy it up :-)

Was going to say the same thing - a little bit o' black stuff in the right place and it will look downright sleek.  ;)

By the way, do you feel as if you can tell any difference at all in the sound?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

What specs are good.

For a power cable:

a] Large total conductor cross-section area.

b] High total capacitance.

For a long XLR balanced analog interconnect cable.

a] Symmetry in construction.

b] Lower total capacitance is better.

c] Small total cross-section area is OK or better.

For the analog interconnect: Why is (c) true?