IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

58 minutes ago, Middy said:

That symbol comes up as Yuan not Yen on google... $98 dollars !!@@??&

Just checked they both use the ¥ symbol ??

Yes Japanese Yen and Chinese Yuan use the same symbol.  Actually the languages share 1000's of symbols but that's another story.  You can Google "1 JPY to USD" and "1 CNY to USD" for the exchange rates.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks so much again @JohnSwenson

I'm trying your shielding topology with BJC Cat 6a ethernet also (easy to modify because it's already got a floating shield in place).

Rather than chat via PM it's probably best to ask here, to save you from answering the same questions from 100 people.

I've happily sacrificed one of my unused BJC Cat 6a ethernet cables for learning purposes.

From the photos attached, it looks to be the foil type shield ? If I understood correctly, if the ethernet cable has a foil type shield then I'd need to cut through the foil and find the drain wire - then, the external wire would then be soldered to this drain wire.

But as I cut through the foil and then through the white insulation I don't see any drain wire - I only see 4 twisted pairs of conductors.

Am I missing something obvious?

Since I can't see a drain wire, would the external wire simply need to be soldered to the foil shield that's visible?

Many thanks again

IMG_0188.JPG.8d4d6cb41efca5898208f0caf15782fd.thumb.JPG.dc015d6e7c03b723a2895af86676ed7b.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG.2ebc5e99be8f30b168c529fba150b509.thumb.JPG.7ca1738351a9d940ae3b28c526b87fec.JPG

592d1450ce5d6_IMG_0192(1).JPG.073413d69024da511e096e214be35ad7.thumb.JPG.748ab0043524554994f3808fc830cf3c.JPG

Em2016, the BJC CAT6a already has a floating shield and no ground wire per John's recommended design. I learned this when I pulled several runs of 100 plus feet and had to terminate the cable ends myself.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Thank you, John.  This has got to be one of the best DIY improvement posts and one I will be trying.

A couple of questions...

For John:  Given the thread topic, the JSSG has great applicability to DC power cables.  Does it also offer value for other cables, e.g., USB, interconnects, AC power cables, etc., and, if so, how would they rank?

Which would be better...tinned or copper braid?

For anyone:  Can anyone provide sources of braided shield here in USA that people have done business with?

I bought some copper braid shield from a motorcycle shop some time ago intended not only for protecting but blinging-up gas line tubing.

Sure, you can various sizes of tinned copper sleeving on Amazon.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Cornan said:

It shouldn't, but to me it does! Ghent DC Canare 4S6 cables with JSSG sounds better than DIY Canare 4S6. ATL starquad DC cables with JSSG sounds the same as Ghent JSSG.

Same thing here, JSSG on dc power cables yields a nice improvement and is cumulative as more cables are treated.

I expect to try treat and listen to an AC cable treated with JSSG tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

If you have'nt tried JSSG on USB cables yet I can recommend it! ?Ethernet is great with JSSG too, but I guess you've done it already? So far my ac power cables are mostly starquad which is cumulative throughout in my setup. I have'nt tried JSSG on them yet so I would appreciate if you could post back your impressions when you've tried.

Thanks Cornan, and yes, I did the JSSG treatment on the data carrying USB and Ethernet cables first. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Looking for a North America source for 12 gage (2mm) solid core copper wire, preferably Oxygen Free tho' not sure that is necessarily better than garden variety.

Did order some Temco has 12 gage "magnet" wire to play with but wondered if there was a source for something more upscale?!

There are lots of solid copper choices at the Home Depot.  Maybe not Oxygen free, but that doesn't seem to be a requirement for you.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Unless I misunderstood the construction of the JSGT, I have jumpered male and female CCTV screw terminal connectors plus-plus

and minus-minus with one end of a wire connected to the minus terminals of the CCTV and the other to the GND pin of a 3-prong AC plug which is then connected to the same duplex as the power supply.

Am I not correct?

To Cornan's point, I did not let any smoke or flames get out of the power supply.  :-D

Yes, that's it. You may also have a grounding point on one of your boxes and could use that. I have one on my balanced power transformer and ac distribution box so use that instead of an AC plug.

37 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Rechecked my JSGT 4-headed hydra today...both the individual connectors and the JSGT assemblies.  I found a number of CCTV connectors, both male and female, that did not have continuity from plus-to-plus or minus-to-minus.  I am pretty sure that they were OK before putting shrink tubing on the junction of the male to female assemblies.

Not sure about the internal construction but is it possible that heating the shrink compromised the internals of the CCTV connector?

I will split open 1 or 2 of the connectors which failed to see what the guts look like.

I have had some that were flaky. Some came in a darker color green. Beware of those.

• 11 months later...
57 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned here but it ought to be on everyones to try list, an essential way to run your DC cables. Basically its using 2 ethernet cables, one for the + and one for the – of each DC power cable and even better joining another pair of ethernet cables with a short high quality silver twisted pair. I don't have the time at present to describe the details as I'm travelling for work but its all explained on the USaudioMart thread linked below. 

I don't know why this is not all over the CA/AS forums. Its been mentioned a few times but doesn't get picked up. Just read about it and do it. It transformed my system in a way you would not think possible.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1465&p=12136#p12136

So sad to read about Rob's death.

• 1 year later...