IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

13 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm rather fond of the iFi iDSD Micro.  I have the now-discontinued silver one (the current model is black).  That one's around $550.  With PCM, the Yggy is much more detailed and lush.  Keep in mind that the Yggy is PCM only.  And every DSD->PCM conversion I've tried with the Yggy sounds underwhelming (even with HQPlayer).

Dacmagic Plus?  Buy an iDSD Micro.  The Dacmagic Plus was all that a few years back, but it's not at the same level as the current drop of DACs at that price.

To be fair, I've had an opportunity to listen to an Ayre Codex ($1800-ish) for an extended period.  This is basically "trickle UP" tech from the Pono, believe it or not.  It will play both PCM and DSD and it sounds really nice.  Some consider DSD a "unicorn" format, but I tend to use HQPlayer in some environments and boy does the Codex shine with HQPlayer.  Better than the Yggy?  Maybe just as good in a different way.  YMMV, of course.

I also have a Gumby that had upgraded from a Gungnir.  I don't want to say it sounds "almost" as good as the Yggy, but it sounds quite good with Redbook.

Now here's where I might lose some people: I think all the Schiit multibit DACs perform best with Redbook (as opposed to 24 bit at higher sample rates).  If someone had a lot of high sample rate files, I might steer them away from a Yggy.

Depending on where exactly in the $500-$1000 range you want to be, you might consider the Gustard X20.  There's no shortage of people who just love this DAC.  I heard one with HQPlayer (have not heard straight PCM) and it was just amazing for a sub-$1000 DAC.

I have mixed feelings about how much I spent on the Yggy.  While I sincerely feel I got more than my money's worth (it sounds really, really good with Redbook), it also raised the bar of what a "reasonable" price for HiFi gear is, to the detriment of my wallet.  I've since bought other non-DAC gear that I wouldn't have considered (too expensive) since I bought the Yggy.

Hope this helps.

I had the Gumby and the Yggy is significantly better. It sounds great with anything you feed it. Yes it is optimized for redbook but high Rez sounds superb. I would not steer anyone away from it for high rez at all. Not even close. As for the Gustard, we have listened to it vs. the Yggy extensively as a friend owns both. The Gustard is fully modded. It you want DSD, the Gustard is a great deal but it doesn't match the Yggy for PCM. IMHO. Of course, YMMV..

Now, as Jud suggested, back to the Yggy. DSD is not an issue for me. I have quite a few native DSD files that I have had great success with playing back first through the Gumby and now the YGGY converted to 176.4 PCM. They sound great. I have played some of these files through a friend's Halo DAC and a modded Gustard as DSD and through his YGGY. (Yes he has a few DACS). I do not intend to get into a DSD v. PCM debate so please don't start one. I will just say that I don't really think I am missing out playing the files on my YGGY as PCM. Great recordings sound great regardless of how you play them.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't mean to imply that the other thread is vitriolic at all. It isn't. As for being critical of the Yggy, by all means go for it. I just don't see it. I have purchased one myself after hearing one for two years. Best DAC I have ever heard and this includes Chord, Benchmark, Berkeley, Aqua, Gustard and Halo just to name a few. I can see that those with systems and or rooms that tend to the bright side of things might not like the Yggy. DACs are somewhat system dependent. I find the level of detail, spaciousness and overall timbre to be outstanding in every room I have heard one.  I just don't see the point in trying to disparage someone's choice which is where I think this thread went to some degree. Note, I am not saying that you have,

I have some recording I have been involved in making and they sound completely transparent through the Yggy. This is one of the reasons I don't find the measurement issues all that relevant. I don't hear what these measurements are measuring. Of course, YMMV.

I had the Gumby for 2 years. The Yggy is much better. I have a system very similar to Jud. No sizzle or sibilants at all with the Yggy. I will be back in the studio with a piano, vocal and sax piece on Friday. Will see if I can hear the glitch when I get back in the evening with the studio file.