IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, what about the change I just made to not show the total reputation points, but still have the Up/Down voting on each thread?

There goes my short lived reputation!

But in all seriousness - yeah, good riddance. If there were a way to measure how helpful a person was, that would be one thing, but as it stood, that number got conflated with a measure of agree/disagree and like/dislike which is not helpful.

Let's eschew populism.

Hi Chris,

I ran into a couple of minor issues, so wanted to pass them along. For reference, take a look at my post: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30634-the-true-experimental-tweak-thread/?do=findComment&comment=648849

1. Is there no longer a way to control the display size of image attachments? I attached 2 PNG files, and the size shown in the post is the largest size that I can get. I can go smaller, but not any larger.
  2. When I click on the attachments, the image shown is nothing like the original. While the original has a white background, with dark text, the image view is the opposite. I suspect this is at the mercy of the default image viewer on the system. On W10, that appears to be Photos, and it totally messes up PNGs.

I'm not sure what to even recommend here, but maybe someone here has some guidance or pointers to ensure that attached images are rendered with fidelity?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Those attachments have a transparent background. Most systems don't seem to have issues, but so.e might turn it black. If you post them with a white background, they'll work fine. 

The size of images uploaded is reduced to a small size so as not to take up too much space unless one clicks on them to see more. 

OK gotcha. I added a white background, and now all is well. 

Chris, remind me...

What's the solution for following links to the old site embedded in posts from prior to the transition? I know they currently don't work, but I can't remember if you said that was on a roadmap to fix up or not.

Until or even if it ever happens, is there any trick to finding the post in the new site? Obviously it varies - but sometimes all I have is a sentence like "read this post at <link>."" Those are hard to crack. 

I can usually inspect the link and infer the thread - sorry, topic - name, but finding a particular post by post number is hard.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:18 AM, austinpop said:

Chris, remind me...

What's the solution for following links to the old site embedded in posts from prior to the transition? I know they currently don't work, but I can't remember if you said that was on a roadmap to fix up or not.

Until or even if it ever happens, is there any trick to finding the post in the new site? Obviously it varies - but sometimes all I have is a sentence like "read this post at <link>."" Those are hard to crack. 

I can usually inspect the link and infer the thread - sorry, topic - name, but finding a particular post by post number is hard.

@The Computer Audiophile - any suggestions?

2 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Using your name I was able to set up an Activity stream with just your posts, then I narrowed it down to say the Auralic Aries thread, which you have several posts.  This showed all your posts in just that thread, unfortunately you only see two lines of the post on that main screen.

Not much help but something 

Hi Shawn,

Thanks! That's promising. Can you post or PM me a link to that custom activity stream? I'll use it as a template for now.

• 3 weeks later...

@The Computer Audiophile

Hi Chris - can I make a couple of feature requests? Consider these first world problems, so it's your choice whether to take any action!

1. Add back the location field in the users profile, and import this info from the old site. I like to see where a user is located sometimes, and currently have no way of knowing.
  2. The controversial reputation score. How do people feel about exposing it in the user's profile, not under their handle on every post as initially implemented? Or do you not want to go there? Flawed as it was, I did like the feature. This way it could be hidden away discreetly, but still accessible.

Respectfully submitted.

37 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Well, I have partial good news for you. I've added back the location to the user profiles. However, I can't go back and import just the location information from the old site to the new location field. Hopefully, people will populate this field when they edit their profiles. 

Let's leave the reputation score alone for a little bit :~)

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 10.24.37 PM.png

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Daudio said:

'Stickie' thread/posts are a possible solution too, through I don't know if this new platform (whatever it is) can handle them.

I thought the old system supported them, but that they weren't used because they required some permission level, that wasn't delegated, to create/designate them.

I'm open to all reasonable solutions. Stickies posts are a good option too.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, rickca said:

Chris, I'd like a way to see all activity except certain threads.  When a thread goes bad, it tends to have a very high activity level as the rhetoric cranks up.  Lately we've had more and more of these.

So I'd like to ignore a thread rather than ignore a user.  Sometimes the same user posts quite intelligent things in other threads.

Rick,

this isn't exactly what you need, but I defined this custom activity that shows recent activity aggregated by topic. Try it and see if you like it:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/discover/35/

I love your phrase "when a thread goes bad." So true! With this custom activity, no matter how active a topic is, it only occupies one spot on the list, as opposed to completely swamping the default "Unread Content" view.

Chris, 

I just noticed a slight issue with the "Computer Audiophile Blue" theme. The Search field on the top bar of the page is the same blue color of the bar, so very hard to distinguish. It looks like this:

59381d3b7a4f1_ScreenShot2017-06-07at10_35_02AM.thumb.png.39080e30193846112b3b08b2c64daf13.png

Other themes have the search field in a lighter (or white) color.

Could you change the field itself to a lighter shade, so it's more visible?

40 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't mean to push work off to you or anyone else, but if you want you can search for a plugin that's already built or similar functionality. I'm not opposed to purchasing a plugin type of solution rather than building it myself. Here is a link to available plugins etc.. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/

Hi Chris,

I'll take a look as soon as I get a chance.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't mean to push work off to you or anyone else, but if you want you can search for a plugin that's already built or similar functionality. I'm not opposed to purchasing a plugin type of solution rather than building it myself. Here is a link to available plugins etc.. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/

Chris, I'm not a UI developer, so take all this for what it's worth. The Invision site doesn't really give a lot of detail, but here are some thoughts from what I've seen so far:

1. There is mention of a "Question and Answer Forum" feature in the Forums component of the core package. Could this be exploited? I'm referring to this:
    593eea3051eb1_ScreenShot2017-06-12at2_18_18PM.thumb.png.47044de0348c6d6dc53d176cd31dc181.png
  2. The wiki capability seems to be implemented in the Pages component. Beyond that, I don't know how easy it is to integrate wikis - um, pages - into Topics, a la Flyertalk, for example. What would be really cool is, where appropriate, pin a wiki to the top of a topic, which could be curated by the community, but with a designated moderator - either the OP, or a surrogate.
  3. There are several plugins for "pinning" that seem interesting as building blocks:
  4. Finally, doing this requires some core moderation and permissions work:

• designating OP or specific users to edit and curate

• having infinite edit intervals on designated content - say the original post - so it can become a de facto FAQ or equivalent

Just some initial thoughts.

Chris,

It also occurred to me that from an authorization and permissions perspective, it would help to allow each topic (and possibly extended to forums) to have a designated moderator. It could start out by default to be the OP, but could be overridden by "staff" to anyone else.

One of the key authorizations should be to allow the first post to not have the edit lifetime. This way, the OP or the designated moderator could append/prepend an index/FAQ/list to the original post.

While a pinned Q&A or wiki would be cooler and more elegant, the immediate ability to edit the first post could be a quick and dirty way to get this going quickly.

11 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I think that is what you were thinking of ??

Trimmed your quote, as I know that bothers you! :D

Yes, and no. Pinned threads are not what I was thinking of.

Remember - the problem we are trying to solve is for monster threads. We can not know a priori which threads will become such. When such a thread occurs, I don't want to create a different (pinned) thread to contain the curated bits from the monster thread. Rather, I want a way to have an index/wiki/Q&A/editable first post within the thread.

Your example from head-fi is a fine one, but it's not a pinned thread. Jason's first post is a fine example of what I'm proposing.