IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

Like others I don't like change, but so long as the basic navigation is simple to find, then reading becomes second nature. Cable debates will never end though... :)

On the subject of navigation, the Search tool expands logically, either the whole site, or sometimes is handy for the topic at hand.

I gather 'follow' is to subscribe.

Also not keen on the overall white space left and right with a screen res of 3840 x 2160, however if the left side is occupied with advertisements, like Mono and Stereo website, the balance could be achieved. Ads tend to distract possibly avoided by a paid membership which would be welcome.

The colours or lack there of, perhaps a Gateway Computer nostalgia? Agree with other comments, it's too stark, colours are good but a minefield of readbility since aging eyes have different contrast capabilities. OMG, an opening for themes!!  

Readability on a mobile phone is better, before there could be 8-10 messages on the activity screen at once, it was good to scan, then swipe, now I can manage only three, so a lot of swiping. The fonts are bigger, so are the spaces between, so makes it easier to read at the expense of more swiping. On the laptop there's lots of space between paragraphs, like triple font spacing, most likely to cater for touch screens or iPad doo dads. I'd say the mobile experience is far better now than the dedicated app or the VBulletin squished down.

What's missing is the TOP button at the bottom of the page...! TOP brings you to search, mail and user settings, the menu frame is present, but it doesn't navigate to search. Would be nice if the FORUM on the menu bar would drop down to say Networking or Music.

Attaching files now is a lot less painful, drag and drop is good, still hope on day to copy/paste an image rather than save it to a file, then attach. Is that a HTML limitation or the editor ? Are the file types restricted to graphics, text and pdfs only or can we upload wav maximum ... say 20s worth of redbook in MB?

The reputation number is somewhat subjective? Not in favour of it, the classifications such as newbie, sophomore and so on is OK, it's just based on the number of posts, fine with me. It's up to the reader to judge the quality of the post.

All in all, I can live with the new presentation, please add the TOP button :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the user profile data hasn't transferred over in the "About Me" section of the member profiles,  For example in my profile's "About Me" just shows "iPad and Blackberry" which I think were the last fields in the previous forum.  

Agreed on the About Me section,  just the last line on my profile as well. By looks of it,  at least the structure is now up to the user to create their own,  rather than tick the boxes, which was restricted somewhat. 

The editor looks much the same as for posting allowing external links...my short term memory may let me down here.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, what about the change I just made to not show the total reputation points, but still have the Up/Down voting on each thread?

Good system! It avoids the petty downgrading of reputations, since there's none to downgrade.

The like and dislikes are fine, there are more likes I've seen anyway.

For mobiles and ipads though, the buttons are a little too close to one another, depends on how fat the fingers are; a difficult decision as to how far they should be moved . Desktops with mice are no issue, I could not bear to see fingerprints on the screen, I want to look at images with clarity and not dotted with smudges, yuk. The system now is easier to use than with Vbulletin which took some time to figure out which button was first.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, rickca said:

Chris, you've done something nice with posts from ignored users in the activity stream.  

Yes, finally the ignored users have vanished totally from the activity list, well done. 

Now just have to remember to add in a new ignored member from the link in the account settings, by entering the name, which also preselect, another good idea.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hmmm. Trying to replicate this, but I can't. I logged in with your account even, but everything looked good from a Mac.

Are you using Android and Chome OS?

Yes, Chrome on Android and Chrome on Windows 10. The expanded is two lines maximum for the initial activity (discover page) then soon as the list more activity button, randomly posts are their full length.

Can duplicate behaviour with Edge on Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I recently updated my iPhone iOS and discovered that javascript in Safari was disabled by default. This is a huge issue for tons of websites. If you browse CA and notice the menu in the upper right (on mobile only) doesn't work, you should check this setting. javascript is required for CA and many sites to function.

I also just tried using Safari a but more after using Chrome exclusively for years. I may be switching back.

IMG_1151.png

I use Safari 95% of the time and CA displays ok and JavaScript is set to Off. Bith work phone and personal iPhones are latest revisions unless there’s a new edition out last 24 hours?

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It would work like this:

OP of a thread PMs me asking for moderator capability of his thread. 

I enable it for that single thread thread for the OP. 

The OP can then edit and remove posts as he sees fit. 

Certainly some pros and cons with this. 

I see more pro than con and vote Yay. The ability to classify a post as OT has some merit and the OP can steer the topic back to discussion. 

Editing posts, not in favour since classically a post can be discussed with quote and make an amendment to what the intent could be . Deleting posts with a placeholder as to who deleted would prevent a witch hunt. The quoted post of a deleted item can remain.

The locking of the thread would remain with the founder.

• 3 weeks later...