IGNORED

My Questions and Answers (MQA): An Interview with Andreas Koch

1 hour ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

However, one must always consider the source.  Koch has been and is a huge advocate for DSD, while Stuart et al have been major detractors of DSD for over a decade.  It is not just about commercial interests.  I think these guys are really dug deeply into their respective philosophies, aka, beliefs.

Where in the article does he promote DSD?

12 hours ago, jhwalker said:

It is supposed to make it better, by correcting any smearing in the time domain caused by the original analog to digital conversion, as well as improving the time domain performance in the receiving DAC.

There is no evidence to support that it actually does any of this.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

Possible that it uses a reasonable apodizing filter at the ADC end, which permits the crappy filtering at the DAC end to cause less harm?

And how does that accomplish "deblurring" or any of the other feats of magic they promise?

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

I take from this that it's possible.  :)

"Feats of magic" = marketing bunkum

"Deblurring" = marketing rebranding of what any decent apodizing filter does, helping to remove ringing

An apodizing filter works by using an early roll-off to remove the high frequencies that would otherwise cause ringing. Removing high frequencies is the opposite of "deblurring" for any reasonable definition of common words.

1 hour ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Nope, not what I said.  I just cautioned considering the source.  I would suggest similar caution if Bob Stuart or Mark Waldrep were to criticize DSD.  And, so on.

An argument should be evaluated on its own merits regardless of who made it. Only in cases of argument from authority does the person enter the picture.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

One ironic aspect of this is that mansr used Stereophile's measurements/graphs for (IIRC) the Explorer DAC in at least one or two of his comments.  In the magazine, the DAC's measurements were, if I remember right, described as "superb," whereas mansr's evaluation was not so, shall we way, ebullient.

That was Miska, although I agree with his assessment.

4 hours ago, Fokus said:

These are recordings off the output of a Meridian Explorer2, done at 192kHz. The HF bump is the combined modulator noise of the E2 and my ADC (a PCM1804).

Both traces are from the first track of Lemonade.

Red is the standard Tidal file, which plays at 44.1kHz. You see that the treble is cut off

sharply at 21kHz (which is a bit unusual for a modern recording, due to the use of half-band

ADC AA filters or downsamplers the spectrum more often runs flat to 22kHz).

Green is the MQA Tidal file, decoded by the E2. Again the treble cuts off at 21kHz, and rises again

above 23kHz. The part of the spectrum between 23kHz and ~36kHz clearly is an image of the baseband between and 8 and 21kHz. Strictly speaking, this is added distortion, and quite similar to the output of a NOS DAC.

From the Stereophile Mytek measurements it is known that the MQA replay filter is rather lazy and does not cut in below 22kHz, so it is not apodising at all, only passing along a lot of imaging.

Lemonade_192krec_gr_mqa_red.jpg

This result indicates that the input to the MQA encoder was 44.1 kHz. The HF hump is actually shaped dither added by the MQA decoder. DAC and ADC modulator noise should at most reach -120 dB.

Could you send me a capture of 10 seconds or so from that track? I'd like to see exactly what filter configuration they're using here.

43 minutes ago, Fokus said:

1) Of course it is 44.1kHz. That is what Jud asked for, above.

2) Get the PCM1804 datasheet. It really is my ADC's modulator noise.

That ADC does indeed have a lot of noise. None of mine have anything near those levels. If you had a better ADC, you'd notice the MQA decoder adding dither with roughly the same noise profile. A firmware bug in the E2 makes it stay in this mode until power cycled after playing an MQA file.

43 minutes ago, Fokus said:

3) You can have two fragments:

samp1

samp2

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear. I wanted a digital capture of the undecoded MQA stream.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I agree, Koch is brilliant.  But, so is Stuart.  They just happen to disagree.

The annals of history are filled with brilliant men who just disagreed:  Edison and Tesla, Newton and Leibniz, me and my high scool teachers, etc.

History has shown that Tesla was right, but Edison had the better PR machine, just as Stuart does now with MQA.

28 minutes ago, Jud said:

Just wanted to note before we get too carried away with how much we don't know, that the scope of a patent is restricted to what is fairly disclosed.  So anything MQA wants to have protected as its intellectual property must be disclosed in the patent.  There is certainly an art to such "disclosures," but it does mean that what MQA actually does is very, very unlikely to be entirely divorced from what is mentioned in the patent (otherwise why bother to obtain it?).  It isn't a cookbook and doesn't need to be, but the general nature of what MQA does is pretty clear.

The full MQA process probably also includes elements not invented by them and thus outside the scope of their patents.