IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

3 hours ago, Gato said:

Ok sorry for that, you can delete the folder copied on your desktop thanks!
I suspect that some permissions on folders present in “program files” are too restrictive and so the powershell command  can not run as smoothly as expected and so can not find the hqpresets path.

I need to look at this issue tomorrow. I will keep you informed. Thank you for your understanding!

You are looking for HQPlayer installation path? It is rather unlikely to differ from the default, but you could also look it up from registry:

HKLM "Software\Signalyst\HQPlayer 5 Desktop"

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I finally got it working, albeit on another Windows PC (Microsoft Surface)

Difference: MS uses Defender (which asked for permission)

My Lenovo laptop is protected by Norton.  Even disabling Norton for 15min does not help.

Dirk

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

I finally got it working, albeit on another Windows PC (Microsoft Surface)

Difference: MS uses Defender (which asked for permission)

My Lenovo laptop is protected by Norton.  Even disabling Norton for 15min does not help.

Dirk

Very good news!

There is now a new Windows version of HQPresets that you would be kind enough to download and try on the machine that caused the original issue. If so, please keep us informed of the results!

Gato

19 minutes ago, Gato said:

Very good news!

There is now a new Windows version of HQPresets that you would be kind enough to download and try on the machine that caused the original issue. If so, please keep us informed of the results!

Gato

Is it correct that you did not change the version number?  I am wondering if I am downloading a new (different) version at all?

file name: HQPresets Setup 1.0.0.exe

1 minute ago, Apollo said:

Is it correct that you did not change the version number?  I am wondering if I am downloading a new (different) version at all?

file name: HQPresets Setup 1.0.0.exe

It's not "correct". It's a new "patched" version. After this "patch", when successfull, we will release a new minor version.

2 minutes ago, Gato said:

It's not "correct". It's a new "patched" version. After this "patch", when successfull, we will release a new minor version.

Good news : working fine now, received an extra warning that I acknowledged

image.png.7d4991a51ac135bb98e723c5aa0d7407.png

image.thumb.png.6f96c5d3dbdfae256918d27a67091e0f.png

On 5/5/2024 at 2:33 PM, Gato said:

Gato HQPresets 1.0.0: Manage and Apply Presets to an HQPlayer System

• HQPresets is a desktop application that lets you manage and apply presets.
    Additionally, it
     includes a web page for applying presets via a browser, it is called HQPresets via HTTP.
  • With HQPresets via HTTP, you can apply a mode, filter, shaper, rate, and matrix with just a single gesture!
  • Interested? Download the appropriate file for your platform (Mac, Linux, Windows) from: HQPresets Downloads
  • You will also find there the full HQPresets User Manual.

A new tool to play with, enjoy!

image.png.ced4e5fe86e4465456cc200dc022fee1.png  Gato HQPresets 1.0.1: Manage and Apply Presets to an HQPlayer System

• You can download this new version from HQPresets Downloads
    • You will also find there:
      • A Release Notes.
      • The full HQPresets User Manual.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Wanted to mention that after setting the number of DSP pipelines to 8 (Configuration > Generic section of Embedded), and playing at DSD256 (didn't attempt DSD512), I was able to use DAC correction with my iFi NEO iDSD, even with an i8700K CPU. I felt it did result in an improvement, particularly with vocals, though I have no idea if my subjective feeling corresponds at all to what the correction is actually doing.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately there is not a correction setting for the ifi pro yet which I am assuming the analog output stage would be quite different than the NEO.

so far I am finding the correction settings for my Holo Cyan 2 makes a bigger improvement in dsd512 than in dsd256. Perhaps you can give dsd512 a try on the Neo as well.

Hi miska, 

I started to use intel i350 nic but naa 5.0 not list my Denafrips Pontus on network. I tried the embedded os as naa and it's ok that worked. What's the problem of naa with i350 ? Naa5.0 ramfs

9 minutes ago, merterxx said:

Yes it has two ports.

according to @Miska past comments, you'll need to disable all unused ports for it to work.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600
On 5/8/2024 at 12:27 AM, Jud said:

Wanted to mention that after setting the number of DSP pipelines to 8 (Configuration > Generic section of Embedded), and playing at DSD256 (didn't attempt DSD512), I was able to use DAC correction with my iFi NEO iDSD, even with an i8700K CPU. I felt it did result in an improvement, particularly with vocals, though I have no idea if my subjective feeling corresponds at all to what the correction is actually doing.

Now if we can make the AirPods sound like the Sennhauser 800s then this will be a huge accomplishment!

I'm saying this only slightly tongue in cheek because this area of processing has the possibility of vast improvements in our ability to get "there" in terms of the live or in studio hallucination. I can actually here the differences in modulators and filters as opposed to various widgets.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Now if we can make the AirPods sound like the Sennhauser 800s then this will be a huge accomplishment!

I'm saying this only slightly tongue in cheek because this area of processing has the possibility of vast improvements in our ability to get "there" in terms of the live or in studio hallucination. I can actually here the differences in modulators and filters as opposed to various widgets.

DAC correction of course works on DAC level. It's not about addressing headphones response issues, so it's not about making headphones quality irrelevant or making one headphones sound like other.

If somebody does don't hear any benefit of using DAC corrections then there is no point of using them.

If custom headphone corrections were done based on measurement of the whole audio chain, then IMO the same appliers as Miska wrote about room corrections:

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Either disable one of the ports in BIOS, or alternatively you can use HQP OS image as NAA as it can handle more than one port.

1 hour ago, merterxx said:

How is possible on naa-os ? 

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, NAA 5.0.0 image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Placette Balanced Passive Linestage, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

9 minutes ago, bogi said:

DAC correction of course works on DAC level. It's not about addressing headphones response issues, so it's not about making headphones quality irrelevant or making one headphones sound like other.

If somebody does don't hear any benefit of using DAC corrections then there is no point of using them.

If custom headphone corrections were done based on measurement of the whole audio chain, then IMO the same appliers as Miska wrote about room corrections:

@Jud DAC has bluetooth output so yes my tongue in cheek comment addressed that. The actual point of course is that convolutions have the ability to apply corrections to the system whatever that might be. @Miska can correct me but I'm assuming that DAC corrections work as a measured convolution kernel.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

50 minutes ago, bogi said:

I wonder if  @Miska would consider creating a separate room correction program that would create room specific profiles and easily then be loaded into HQP?

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, NAA 5.0.0 image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Placette Balanced Passive Linestage, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

41 minutes ago, cpcat said:

I wonder if  @Miska would consider creating a separate room correction program that would create room specific profiles and easily then be loaded into HQP?

Miska wants to provide DAC corrections probably for more than 10 models of DACs and for each of them for multiple sample rates. That itself gives many tens of measurements.

Room correction is specific for concrete listening room (loudspeaker system) or concrete model of headphones.
Every room in loudspeaker system is different and there are specific tools available just for the purpose of creating room correction eq or convolution.

Similarly, every headphones are different and their acoustics depend on earpads used. And with IEM on eartips. There are already separate corrections available for many models of headphones.

So it is unrealistic Miska could deal with acoustic treatment - other tools and products are already specializing to these areas for years.

For those who want to apply (or already applied) custom headphone treatment, according to Miska, if the measurement was done as wide band and with the test signal at the same sample rate as as teh one used for listening, then such corrections cover the whole audio chain including DAC. As soon as input sample rate and the chain is kept as is, the corrections remain valid.

The point of using separate DAC corrections and separate headphone corrections is that DAC corrections are sample rate specific - they adapt to different input sample rates, so one headphone corrections would work with all sample rates supported by DAC corrections. At least that's my understanding, @Miska can confirm or correct it.

For those who apply general headphone correction eq, available for download or as an app from more sources, separate DAC corrections can be used together with headphone corrections.

Quite generally, since DAC corrections are within the price of HQPlayer, one can simply try what sounds better and if it is worth of additional computer load.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
On 5/9/2024 at 2:06 PM, bogi said:

Miska wants to provide DAC corrections probably for more than 10 models of DACs and for each of them for multiple sample rates. That itself gives many tens of measurements.

Room correction is specific for concrete listening room (loudspeaker system) or concrete model of headphones.
Every room in loudspeaker system is different and there are specific tools available just for the purpose of creating room correction eq or convolution.

Similarly, every headphones are different and their acoustics depend on earpads used. And with IEM on eartips. There are already separate corrections available for many models of headphones.

So it is unrealistic Miska could deal with acoustic treatment - other tools and products are already specializing to these areas for years.

For those who want to apply (or already applied) custom headphone treatment, according to Miska, if the measurement was done as wide band and with the test signal at the same sample rate as as teh one used for listening, then such corrections cover the whole audio chain including DAC. As soon as input sample rate and the chain is kept as is, the corrections remain valid.

The point of using separate DAC corrections and separate headphone corrections is that DAC corrections are sample rate specific - they adapt to different input sample rates, so one headphone corrections would work with all sample rates supported by DAC corrections. At least that's my understanding, @Miska can confirm or correct it.

For those who apply general headphone correction eq, available for download or as an app from more sources, separate DAC corrections can be used together with headphone corrections.

Quite generally, since DAC corrections are within the price of HQPlayer, one can simply try what sounds better and if it is worth of additional computer load.

Thanks Bogi.  I appreciate the effort and detailed response.

However, respectfully, and candidly, this seems like a typical “can’t do” response that I have heard often over the years.  

@Miska certainly could do this IMO, but whether it is worth the time and effort would be another issue and his decision.

Custom room correction software sourced from Signalyst and directly integrated with hqplayer, as a paid option, would be a welcome advance IMO.  If @Miska chooses not to offer it then that is that.  

The point and suggestion I made is valid.  

I have incorporated a 2TB SSD for a local library storage into a server equipped with HQPE.

Whenever I need to update the local library, the SSD must be physically removed from the server and connected to a docking station in order to add music files.

@Miska Are there any alternative ways to transfers files over an ethernet connection?

56 minutes ago, jojoking said:

I have incorporated a 2TB SSD for a local library storage into a server equipped with HQPE.

Whenever I need to update the local library, the SSD must be physically removed from the server and connected to a docking station in order to add music files.

@Miska Are there any alternative ways to transfers files over an ethernet connection?

Assuming your server is Linux based, Ubuntu?

Do you also have a windows machine on your network?

If so, then what I did is installed WSD (and you also need Samba) on the Ubuntu machine and create a Samba share for the library SSD.  

WSD makes your Ubuntu machine visible on your network and you can then see the samba share on windows explorer and manage it.

sudo apt install wsdd

on the Ubuntu machine.

Then create the samba share on both the Ubuntu machine and the windows machine.

3 minutes ago, cpcat said:

Assuming your server is Linux based, Ubuntu?

Do you also have a windows machine on your network?

If so, then what I did is installed WSD (and you also need Samba) on the Ubuntu machine and created a Samba share for the library SSD.  

WSD makes your Ubuntu machine visible on your network and you can then see the samba share on windows explorer and manage it.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1071523/how-to-get-my-ubuntu-shared-folders-appearing-under-network-in-windows-10

Thank you for sharing the information.

I have downloaded the HQP Embedded image from the HQP website and placed it on a USB drive to enable booting the HQPE.

Is it possible to install WSD on the bootable USB drive of HQP Embedded and utilize the Samba sharing feature?

I apologize for the inquiry, as my familiarity with Linux/Ubuntu is limited.