IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Most of my listening to those LZ titles are from the original Barry Diament Redbook masters (Page/Marino remasters were horrible IMHO).  I hear more detail in the hirez versions.  Presumably not because of the sample rate, but because the ADCs are better now.  The MQA versions (through a Meridian Explorer 2) produce listening fatigue for me in less than 30 minutes.

I purchased the double LP Tusk on the release date.  I remember it well.  Overall, I've probably listened to that title more from vinyl than from digital.  The original CD master shortened "Sara" so the whole double LP would fit on one CD.  Overall the original Tusk CD was dull and lifeless.  When Tusk first appeared on HDTracks (96/24), I was all over it.  After all the downloading was done, and I was able to import the tracks into DAW software, the peak limiting was quite evident.  And while the improved detail in the new remaster was undeniable, the peak limiting sometimes made that additional detail a bit grating.  The MQA version (on Tidal) sounds just as peak limited, but now with pseudo detail on top of the remaster's level of detail, which only enhances the listening fatigue for me.

THX, IRRC I am using the original CDs - I'd have to dig to find the actual CD, not the rip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/7/2017 at 11:33 PM, synn said:

Blind test completed.

I added all three tracks into a folder, set it to play in random and put the player in my pocket for a good hour or so. I lost track of the number of times I heard the song play, but it was a LOT. Now and then, I took the player out of the pocket and checked the screen to see if I got the format correct.

I picked the MQA file correctly every single time. Towards the end of the test I didn't even need to take the player out, I just knew when the MQA file was on.

The file overall sounds very brittle compared to the PCM and DSD versions. The highs have a certain "Cheesegrater" quality to it, which is quite evident in my test track with some prominent percussion and wind instrumentation. The PCM and especially, DSD files feel much more mellow in comparison. I felt that the MQA sounded a bit more compressed as well, but I can't say this with certain authority. No no no, do not want.

So overall, I have decided to give MQA a miss. No thank you. If I wanted grating highs, I'd buy an old Philips CD player and some Grados.

I should also add that I found the DSD file very pleasant. I should be spending a bit more time with the DSD format and give it a fair shake, which I haven't really done till now.

Were the 3 tracks all from the same 'album'?

It's possible that some other album sounds better with MQA

but...  why bother is the issue

• 3 weeks later...