IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

It is by no means clear as to whether or not someone could train themselves to accurately recall a particular violin sound over several months.  I am not going to guess either way on that.

What is clear is that a short-term comparison is much easier to do in most if not all sensory systems, including visual, hearing and touch.  OTOH, someone would have to test whether feature extraction is sufficient to allow the above.  Also, a good shot of adrenalin and oxytocin while listening would enhance memory persistence.  Too bad they don't allow cocktails in the concert halls. 

20 hours ago, Jud said:

There have been many tests performed in front of orchestra members and classical critics where the record of picking Strads and Guarneris against modern instruments (sometimes even including carbon fiber violins) has been pretty abysmal.  These people have more experience of the sound of these instruments than anyone on this forum ever will.

so what?  it is not relevant to my point

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Hi Teresa.  Here's my attempt at a reasonable explanation:

The filters used in digital audio have a certain amount of what's called "ringing."  This is an ultrasonic signal that keeps going after the music signal ends.

Because it is ultrasonic, many people think it can't be heard.  However, some people believe it "smears" the underlying music signals, making transients less sharp.

Possibly in order to avoid this argument and thus an accusation they are claiming an effect people can't actually hear, MQA appears to be using the term "deblurring" rather than "minimizing ringing."  (This is supposing MQA filters at the mastering end of the process that no one outside of MQA knows anything about are actually minimizing ringing.)

I don't think that is it.

Based on a thread active today where I asked @jabbr a question on this (& convolution, kernel) it seems that deblurring is just an audio analog to an optical signal processing technique.

26 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Are you serious, what planet are you from?

Go to China or Russia and see what you get.

It's call a free enterprise system and it's the best in the world!

Actually, South Korea has the best internet access in the world.

The point is hardly to compare US internet access to that in totalitarian dictatorships, but to improve it, and tossing aside Net Neutrality is a step backwards (assuming that is what he meant).

Ha!  The early Porsche 911 does not look dated in 5 years, or even 50.

Lest I be considered biased, I will also nominate a dozen or so 1960s Italian designs...

Old classics of the 1960s allow you to feel the road and have fun at near legal speeds, while newer high end sports cars do not.

Currently, cars tend to look similar due to a lot of emphasis on aerodynamic considerations.

and to stay OT...  modern SS and tube amplification components seem ot be converging in sound also

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This statement really bugs me. Perhaps I don't understand who is in the group of people called the "real world." This my help me understand their views, but I'll always disagree with them because I personally know many audiophiles who are the opposite of morons. 

it is the residual that is left over after you filter out the Holocaust Deniers, Climate Deniers, Quick Creationists, etc. -- it's like the debris you put on a New Orleans Po-Boy

59 minutes ago, mansr said:

Not so fast. HDCD expands the dynamic range by using a non-linear coding similar to what µ-law does with 8-bit values. This is not equivalent to true 20-bit linear PCM.

what is u-law?

and, is HDCD worth ~~ a couple of bits?  or?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

I would love to see results of any human hearing tests that show people having positive response to ultrasonic frequencies. Most people don't hear anything much over 15k

actually there are some impulse tests that seem to show that 

also, there are effects of subsonics and IIRC ultrasonics that are not consciously heard BUT still alter mood, and produce other unconscious effects