IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Sure it's not required and doesn't 'need to be submitted'. Agreed.

But someone making claims for years must realise they look a bit silly... 

I never said he needs to put up or shut up... just that it looks silly... like perhaps he makes up a lot of stuff?

Again, this is coming from someone (myself) that would prefer MQA go away...

Can you provide definitive specific example of how the OP "makes up a lot of stuff"?

Links? Thank you.

5 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

I already did in this thread... over years? Only a couple times where I engaged but seen much more here for years now. But you can search this very thread to see my examples.

Again, this is coming from someone (myself) that would prefer MQA go away...

That is a non answer. I simply asked for examples where you have definitive proof he "makes stuff up"....

Or, are YOU making stuff up?

1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

I asked the question "perhaps he makes up a lot of stuff?" and I based this on (as a minimum) the couple times i engaged in this very thread with him...  Pretty sure you were here in this thread at the time too and also engaged.

So the narrative that he "blows smoke" or tells tall tales is really Fake News. Thinly veiled, passive aggressive attacks on his credibility?

Not singling you out by the way.

7 hours ago, UkPhil said:

Are these “boutique” audiophile items still adding MQA because of consumer pressure, the reviewer sort of brushed passed the format in this review https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/03/brinkmann-audio-nyquist-mk-ii-streaming.html?m=1

Reasonable review considering what he had to work with. This DAC measured horribly on John Atkinson's test bench. 

The price is a joke. Clearly NO customer asked for MQA because the "Mach 1" version of this brick came to market with MQA, and this company had no other digital products.

Then there is this..the author claims the manual says that DSD is limited to single rate via Ethernet..for 20 grand???

And no, it has nothing to do with the Ethernet bandwidth. Expensive paper weight. 

Contrast this with the subjective goop found in the Streophile review of the first version. 

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not sure which logic class teaches that method of reasoning. 

Clearly when bringing a product to market, manufacturers consult their dealers and distributors for feedback. Intern, these guys provide feedback based on market demand, not based on a technological assessment of available options. 

In fact you are wrong. This interview details the fact he designer decided to include MQA of his own choice.

In fact, this is a very illuminating read for all on this thread. It shows how clueless many so called authorities and luminaries are. All credit to the interviewer. We get a behind the curtain look...

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-870&lang=en

1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

The only part I found interesting was this:

"I asked MQA guys why they sell license for using the format and they told me they had to because they were buying licenses from record labels they were working with."

Does this mean MQA Ltd doesn't receive any income from the labels?

Their only income is from hardware and software (1st unfold) licenses? 

Good catch. It is easy to see why the labels got involved with MQA. There was NO COST to them, in fact, they were paid. We also know they were given shares in MQA for "services rendered". 

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Again, I attended far different logic classes than you did in college. Your comments make zero sense to me. 

If you believe that you read what you said and that this means zero feedback from dealers, distributors and customers was involved, then I can no longer be involved in a discussion with you. We speak different languages. 

I dislike MQA as much as the next guy but I'd put you well past the religious right wing on the continuum, if there was one for MQA. Perhaps that's a compliment to you, given your stance.

When MQA gets flushed down the toilet, you can buy me a Pastrami sandwich and Knish in appreciation. 😃

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

One thing that MQA has going against it is the fact that product certification for HiFi components takes a long time. Requiring physical product testing etc...

Its a pain in the butt for many manufacturers. Perhaps they’ll forgo the hassle in the next product cycle. 

"Perhaps they’ll forgo the hassle in the next product cycle."

Which proves the first time around it was a colossal wast of time. And all those dealers that were "consulted", were clueless. 😎

12 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

It is interesting how times have changed. There was a time when the major studios,  in conjunction with their magazine mouthpieces,  would have simply implemented MQA, the music consumer be damned.  They would not have even used lubricant.

But this is the age of the internet.  People openly questioned the BS that MQA was spewing,  much to the consternation of MQA and its magazine mouthpieces.  People would not simply bend over and take MQA.

The truth came out about MQA.

That is the paradigm shift.

that press release is great news IMO..if they are down to "dublurring" streamed video....lol...then they have one foot in the grave. 

2 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Actually, Chris, it's incredibly poor - as in grossly misleading and disingenuous. :)

How about this...🤣

"Now along comes a technology that delivers better sound quality than their massive PCM files, requires absolutely no expertise, is inexpensive and convenient, has a low bit rate, and to top it off, is readily available to everyone. With a couple of taps on a smartphone, any kid can stream audio that sounds better than the high-bit-rate files the early adopters worked so hard to acquire. In a single stroke, MQA democratized high resolution and obviated the early adopters’ elite status."

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Thats true, I hadn't thought of it that way. In that sense just more noise from a source of ill repute to completely disregard.

Now I'm worried for RH, has anyone actually seen him in the flesh lately? I'm concerned the above could only come from an AI-armed robot, an area LS's résumé suggests he's well-versed in.

Then again LS was a mouthpiece/salesman, not an engineer, so it's possible TAS under-vetted his résumé, opting instead to just splash his stated credentials onto a hiring press release and call it a day.

Maybe RH will appear as a hologram at the next audio show, if it actually ever takes place.

Remember, Moses parted the Red Sea, Jesus walked on water, and Bob Stuart created MQA....😜

7 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

" Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war".

A quote from Shakespeare.

Before battle the Roman Legions would release the war dogs to attack their enemy.

This recent activity of writers passive-aggressively attacking the "civility" of those who expose the truth about MQA has me concerned that a new round of BS is starting.

I will be glad when MQA is finally dead and no longer poses a threat to the music consumer.

Maybe you are on to something..perhaps MQA is planning to start debarring cell phone conversations, or maybe there will be MQA enabled hearing aids, so that those afflicted with hearing loss can hear with no timing errors, or maybe MQA underwear,

so that after a rough nite and one too many tacos, you can play psycho acoustically corrected Butt Trumpet.🤗

17 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

People should keep in mind that open standards like FLAC will always be out there.

MQA could go the way of HDCD and simply cease to exist.  Does anyone produce HDCD decoders anymore?

Not sure, but what is weird, unless I am mistaken, the Grateful Dead continue to release HDCDs for their excellent live archival sets.

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ayre’s new QB-9 Twenty decodes HDCD

It just means they use a Pacific Microsonics Model 1 or Model 2 ADC. 

Actually, and this will be interesting to serious Dead Heads, most Dead live tapes were transferred to digital via the Plangent Process, and they use proprietary encoding. 

The GD release a good portion of their live archival releases in 24/192, and also HDCD. Maybe you know, or someone else might, is there a way to encode HDCD via software from 24 bit files? The only other way they can create HDCDs from the Plangent transfers, would be to convert them to analog then back to digital with the Model 1/2 in my estimation. 

Tons of detail, here, not for the casual fan:

David Lemieux on the Grateful Dead’s Precision, “Playing,” and ‘Pacific Northwest’

https://jambands.com/features/2018/10/28/david-lemieux-on-the-grateful-deads-precision-playing-and-pacific-northwest/

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nice to see a high resolution/streaming article in the more mainstream press that isn’t injected with MQA marketing. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2020/05/27/qobuz-ditches-mp3s-and-welcomes-sonos-into-the-world-of-hi-res-music/amp/

I don't have numbers to prove it, but I am fairly certain the number of MQA releases is slowing down dramatically. 

• 6 months later...