IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Good to see others are coming around to the idea that the network needs to be physically disconnected to see a baseline of the effect of the network connection has on the sound and this would then be the target to achieve with network optimisations. Anything else is added flavour to the network sound and for some might actually sound better which indicates that their downstream devices needs further work. 

I would like to repeat/add that in the current version of Euphony, both Tidal and Quobuz files are totalling downloaded into the streamer's buffer before playing. So disconnecting from the network will still play fine (for up to the end of the next track). However this doesn't seem to apply to the embedded HQPlayer from within Euphony.  The current playing track isn't totally buffered and only plays for a few seconds longer before stopping. Nor is the following track buffered. So in Euphony/HQPlayer's case, disconnecting from the network is not possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Start playback then disconnect your lan cable and play using only the buffer in the streamer. That is the best the network will ever sound - no network. 

It’s easy to forget that there’s a limit to network improvements and the best setup will only approach the sound of fully buffered data in RAM in the streamer. 

From my experience anyway..

2 hours ago, cool_chris said:

I agree 100 % but as we all know now the noise gets "inprinted" in the data you are passing via switch .

I don’t subscribe to the idea that noise gets imprinted into the music if it’s first 100% buffered in the streamer. Ethernet protocol has error correction so data should arrive without error. If the data is streamed and played directly then perhaps a cleaner network might help. Once it’s buffered then played from the buffer, all upstream effects shouldn’t matter. Especially if you disconnect the LAN cable! 😄

If you’re taking about data outside conventional music data that somehow rises alongside the music data say like jitter, the mechanism for it to continue to exist after a 100% buffer and a LAN cable disconnect is something that might exist but surely unlikely. 

It’s possible to test this - Euphony/Stylus buffers 2 tracks  totally for both local and streamed music (both Qobuz and Tidal) before playing. So you can disconnect the LAN cable after starting the playback and compare the sound with a LAN connected, multi-switch, super clocked alternative. I don’t have the Buffalo switch to test with but I’ve tried the EtherRegen and SOtM’s earlier switch with reference clocks and there isn’t any difference I can hear compared to fully buffered, LAN disconnected tracks. 

I don’t have anything against Pink Faun’s clocks, on the contrary I think they are really good in the right places. 😄 I have 3 of their Ultra clocks inside my streamer for the motherboard, CPU and USB all of which are downstream from the LAN input. 

• 3 years later...