IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Awesome! 

Thanks for your detailed post, especially the BoM and the schematic. I can't wait to hear how it sounds for you. 

Hopefully you will also hear for yourself if you come up for Axpona.  It would be nice to hear if there's any difference between trifecta's and it's quite possible they sound similar if not the same given the sCLK-EX is the basis.

If you're able to take a picture of the inside of your tX-USBultra I'd be grateful.  Not knowing how difficult this could be, I understand if you can't.

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

Good to know. Mine didn’t arrive yesterday but should be here today. 

I’m curious what is best practice with the very long smps cables such as the iFi ones. Just leave loose, concertina, or coil? And should one do several wraps of cable with the ferrite? And what’s the best position on the cable for the ferrites? 

Planning on doing all of the TV stuff as well that resides next to the hifi but is powered on a different circuit. I think those Roku’s, which are always on, throw lots of crap everywhere. 

Based on what @marce said I think if you can wind the cable around the ferrite you'll get a more impactful effect.  That's much harder, if not impossible, to do with larger power cables.  I read somewhere that there should be a max of 4 windings, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.  The cable running straight through the core is equal to 1 winding.

I also plan on doing this with all my other equipment now that I hear the impact.  

2 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I think you would be far better off to add a JS shield with ground wire to your needed audio cables like Larry did.  Best eliminate as many cables as possible.  Use adapters like the USPCB.

Perhaps, or both.  Hard to say.  Did Larry actually buy that shield from Amazon, get it all connected and hear an impact?

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

Johnseye - you may want to try removing the ferrites one at a time, starting with the interconnects first, USB and Ethernet after that. I’ve read, at least with Naim gear in my case, that ferrites can kill the sound when used on the DIN to DIN ic’s. One might need to find that balance between softening of the sound, and maintaining the music and PRAT. Nonetheless, fun, cheap, harmless stuff. Much better than spending three figures for that incremental bump that you think you hear. 

Agreed, this will be an experiment for another day.

My package from SOtM is arriving today.  What great turn around and shipping time from them.  Looking forward to this new build.

I received a reply from May regarding how these devices can be powered.  There are still some open questions, including the main one regarding how the tX-USBultra's USB module gets its power from the sCLK-EX when that's inside the tX-USBultra case.

Different sized RF cables connecting the sCLK-EX to the board taps can be used.  Here's an example of these cables.

https://www.digikey.be/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/2015357-3/A36228-ND/1249192

This hardware is all rated at 2A, meaning power below 2A will cause an issue, but above 2A is ok.

tX-USBexp <-> sCLK-EX-> tX-USBultra USB module

• tX-USBexp can accept internal 12v from 4pin IDE molex or 9v max external.
  • If powering the tX-USBexp internally with 12v a cable can be run from the tX-USBexp's J403 output to the sCLK-EX's input with the sCLK-EX set to 12v.  If powering the tX-USBexp externally the J403 out can connect to the sCLK-EX power in and the sCLK-EX needs to be set at 9v.
  • The SATA power PCB is a small card used to connect SATA power to the sCLK-EX.  This card is reversible, meaning power can run in either direction.
  • The sCLK-EX also has a 5v power out if necessary.  I do not know at this time if it can be used to power a SATA 2.5" drive which typically takes 5v.  mSATA takes 3.3v
  • the tX-USBultra USB module is the same as a tX-USBhubIN but designed to be used differently and actually more similar to the tX-USBhubEX
  • the tX-USBultra USB module can only accept 6.5 - 9v DC power from an external source.  It can not be hard set.  The sCLK-EX even when powered at 12v will send power to the tX-USBultra USB module at less than 9v.  I believe it is output at 8.6v while the sCLK-EX being powered at 9v will output 7.1v to the USB module.
  • The tX-USBultra USB module can be powered either by an external 9v source or the sCLK-EX's external output.
  • The SATA II filter has a standard 15 pin connector.
2 minutes ago, rickca said:

I think this is wrong.  The SATA II filter is supposed to filter both data (7 pins) and power (15 pins).  So maybe the SOtM SATA III filter has 15 pins, but the SATA II filter must have 15+7 pins.

Just look at this picture

https://quietpc.co.uk/sotm-sata-noise-filter

To clarify, it has a standard 15 pin power connector and data.  It does filter both.  I was referring to the power connector being standard as opposed to slimline or micro.

Also, if you note from my picture, the external DC in cable to SATA power adapter only has the two 5v cables.

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK thanks now I understand what you meant.  

This part I still don't understand.  What role does that external DC input play, how do you plan to use it?

I can power the SATA drive from two (maybe 3) different methods.  A. from the motherboard's SATA power out pins.  B. from an external DC in to SATA power adapter and the still open question as to whether the 5v out from the sCLK-EX can power it.

Take a look at the picture in my other post of the power cable running to the SATA II filter from the external DC in which is connected to a case bracket.

6 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Johnseye - you may want to try removing the ferrites one at a time, starting with the interconnects first, USB and Ethernet after that. I’ve read, at least with Naim gear in my case, that ferrites can kill the sound when used on the DIN to DIN ic’s. One might need to find that balance between softening of the sound, and maintaining the music and PRAT. Nonetheless, fun, cheap, harmless stuff. Much better than spending three figures for that incremental bump that you think you hear. 

I've been thinking about this.  How does ferrite "kill the sound"?  Is it then only removing EMI/RF which we previously thought of as part of the sound and something we've become accustomed with digital music?  It can not suppress, or cause a negative result before the analog conversion because it can't affect the data, only the noise on the line.  Putting it on the interconnects after conversion could have an impact if the ferrite somehow absorbs certain frequencies of the music source, but I haven't read of that occurring. It is possible though and more than possible I haven't read about it.

I have read of concern with ferrite becoming magnetized.  If this happens the sound can "harden", but that would assume the softening as a result of the ferrite was a positive, which I think it is.  Then you can either demagnetize the ferrite or replace it.

Since I'm rebuilding my server tonight I've decided to remove all the ferrite so I can hear what the new build is like without it.  Then I will add it component by component.  I will leave it off the interconnects for a period of time so I'll be able to hear the difference with and without ferrite on analog cables.

58 minutes ago, lmitche said:

After success with the Lush cable, the remaining signal carrying cables were covered with tinned copper sleeving.  Additionally the ends were tied together with an insulated 14 stranded copper cable wrapped around the sleeving at the endpoints and soldered in place. Treatment for the HDD USB 3 cable and ethernet cabling to the newly grounded Netgear switch was completed.

All digital signal carrying cables in my system have now been treated.

From the first note there was an immediate and terrific improvement. Even more clarity and openness. It is hard to describe the impact. Everything's improved.

John Swenson is a genius. I am grateful.

47 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Please share some photos of your finished product.

+1

Agreed, I'm sure many here would appreciate a couple pictures to see how you tied off the sleeve and terminated the copper cable.

2 hours ago, dgarretson said:

I haven't personally worked with mu-metal, but my understanding is that it loses much of its permeability when bent and needs to be heat-annealed thereafter to restore permeability.

From Wiki:

""Mu-metal objects require heat treatment after they are in final form—annealing in a magnetic field in hydrogen atmosphere, which increases the magnetic permeability about 40 times.[4] The annealing alters the material's crystal structure, aligning the grains and removing some impurities, especially carbon, which obstruct the free motion of the magnetic domain boundaries. Bending or mechanical shock after annealing may disrupt the material's grain alignment, leading to a drop in the permeability of the affected areas, which can be restored by repeating the hydrogen annealing step."

I think putting your cable in a large oven might cause problems. ;)

15 hours ago, rickca said:

Why do you want to use as small a buffer as possible?  I have an iDSD micro on my desk.  iFi's driver used to be limited to 8K samples.  Their latest driver introduced 16K and 32K samples.  In my setup, I use low latency with 16K samples.

It's wonderful that your new system has already met or even exceeded your expectations!

This was always a best practice I've followed.  I know it has practical applications in recording, but am not sure of its impact in playback.  Both settings in the USB control panel are effectively buffers.  The Audiophile Optimizer instructions recommend's streaming mode set to minimum latency but do not mention the ASIO buffer size.  Logically it shouldn't matter.  Not sure if anyone else has insight into this.

14 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

With my sCLK-EX server, I have set as small of a buffer as possible with minimum latency in JRiver.  Never a drop out PCM or DSD (DOP) bit perfect.  I use the Chord ASIO driver for Windows 10.

Also, when I used the ISO Regen, I never had any problems either.  I just choose not to change the sound signature of the sCLK-EX server with any add on devices,  sounds best direct to the DAC via USPCB.

I tried it with HQPlayer direct and experienced the same issue at minimum latency and a 2048 buffer.  I'll try it with JRiver but expect it's the same.  I removed the tX-USBexp from the chain, coming out the mobo's USB and it's the same.  I still need to test direct from mobo USB to DAC.  I unbridged my NICs and disabled one of them in the BIOS and it's the same.  My next test will be to install Windows 2016 on the M.2 drive to see if it's related to the X25.  I've been using a single 4GB stick of DDR RAM.  I ordered a pair of 2GB for dual channel.  It probably won't have an impact, but I thought I'd find out.  If I experience the same thing, it comes back to the board.  I'll be getting shorter RF leads for some connections to the sCLK-EX.  When I used this mobo prior to the mod I didn't have the issue, but I never tested it direct USB.  I will also put the sMS-200 back in the mix and see if that changes things.  I won't go back to using the sMS in this chain regardless.  It was a miss by me in testing the board direct USB prior to modifying.  In the end having a large buffer shouldn't be a big deal, I just prefer it isn't.

The ISO Regen issues are specific to that device.  My ISO feature has never worked.  This is commonly reported.  Rebooting devices, connecting them or starting them up in a certain order can result in at least the Regen working.  I think it has to do with grounding and may be dependent on the DAC's requirements.

8 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi 

Thank's for ''tis very interesting feedback. 

I have also x25 E ssd that I should get in a few weeks. 

I am interested if you can test in your system how the sotm Sata II filter improves the sound. As I have sotm  sata III filter only.  

I will be testing the X25 with and without the filter tonight.

Tonight I compared the X25 E drive with and without the SOtM SATA II filter. First I listened to a handful of songs, then listened intently to two in particular for sounds to key in on. I pulled the filter out and repeated. 

The difference is very noticeable. It is the same as I previously experienced when comparing it to the M.2 drive. By recollection alone, I don't think there was much of a difference between the X25 and M.2.  What this filter does is eliminates the noise coming from the drive which contributes to a harsher digital edge sound. By eliminating this noise the sound becomes much more organic, natural and analog like. The soundstage expansion of width, height and depth or dimensionality remained without the SATA filter. I believe that is from the tX-USBexp and tX-USBultra.  The SATA filter tames the digital beast. It's the best $65 you can spend.

I have to say what you all probably have guessed. Roy was right. That guy is not only sharp as a tack but he has a great ear. His recommendations were spot on. That doesn't mean I would blindly follow, but I've tried many of his suggestions and haven't been misled. Right now my digital system is sounding incredible.  My recommendation is to try the SATA II filter for yourself. I don't think you need the X25 drive. Other SATA II drives will work. It's the filter that makes the difference. 

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

It could be interesting to compare the 40uV ebay voltage regulator powered from 12V and set to +5V Out, against the Filter.

I would expect that an even better +5V regulator would outperform the Filter.

It would depend on how much room you have inside though.

The SOtM device filters both the power and data lines.

Can you link the ebay reg?.

Just now, LTG2010 said:

@Johnseye the sata ii filter is not for sale in most places it appears to have been superseded by the Sata iii version. Although you can still get it to order. I think the version iii only filters the power line. Did you go for the version ii by recomendation either from sotm or Roy? Did you get any feedback on the sound quality differences between the 2?

I never tried the sata III filter. I don't know the SQ differences.  Roy recommended the II version.  My understanding is the sata III version only filters power.  I suspect some filtering is better than none.  

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

electronics-salon no longer appears to have this item available. They were purchased by several C.A. members. http://www.audiowind.com/pdf/A-270V2.pdf
 The key advantage of most of this vendor's PSU modules is the larger than usual heat sinks that they use.

This vendor has a large number of general purpose PSU modules currently available.

Finally found it !

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultra-low-Noise-40-V-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Module-1-25-20V-1-5-Amp-/161492352376?hash=item2599b1bd78

Incidentally, some members have found that filtering the SATA Data lines is not always a good idea.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Electronics-Salon/Power-Supply-Regulator-/_i.html?_fsub=969807219&_sid=804830199&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

JyFvvX.jpg

Thanks. I like what I'm hearing quite a bit. The SATA filter is just part of it but I'm amazed at what the music sounds like with this hardware. 

I spent most of the weekend trying every possible hardware and software configuration to determine what was causing the dropouts when using a small buffer. I won't run through all the scenarios,  but I did get 2016 Server running in core mode and learned some new Powershell commands. Let me tell you, Audiophile Optimizer is indispensable with 2016 Core. I don't think I could have gotten things running without it. I even tried WASAPI, hoping it would make a difference from ASIO. There might have been some small improvements toward shrinking the buffer, but nothing got things where I had them before. Keep in mind, a larger buffer shouldn't matter. This is just a personal preference. 

I had been using the sMS-200 before,  so no Windows drivers for the DAC.  After exhausting every possible scenario I decided to install ROCK on the X25 drive. It worked flawlessly. I can even set the buffer down to 5ms without a hiccup. This tells me there's an issue with my DACs Windows driver and the server hardware. I emailed Peter Madnick about it. Hopefully there's another driver. Otherwise I'll use Rock until I get a new DAC. Not a big deal, I just can't use HQPlayer or JRiver. 

3 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

I too am using the Adnaco S3B 

http://www.adnaco.com/products/s3a/
with a 30 ft glass cable between my PC server and DAC.  USB connection is via the Pangea Ag cable treated with the Swenson shield ground.

Sounds like the SOTM tX-USBUltra is a great add-on but put off by the $1k buy-in.

Any other things you have tried or are planning?  Thoughts on a IsoRegen, etc., vs the SOTM?

Roy has checked out of the forum.  He has commented on the ISO Regen and use of it in his system.  Take a look at the index for his posts.

One comment about FMCs is that they have their own PSUs and clocks.  Their clocks are often noisy.  You're potentially adding noise on one end to reduce it by using fiber.

A more recent effort has been to eliminate as much noise as possible from the PC/server.  If you read what I and a couple others have done, we've used the sCLK-EX, which is a component of the tX-USBultra, to improve the clocks in either our PC, switch or both.

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Which version do you have? I think SOtM sells 3 configurations these days. See screenshot:

5a14688ab881a_ScreenShot2017-11-21at11_54_40AM.thumb.png.53c296931cdcb7ed2f91a05930ede0db.png

8 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

From the SOtM website: 

The tX-USBultra requires 6.5 ~ 9 voltages. But if your power supply provides over 9V, you can change the standard power requirement to the optional 12.0V, and then you can use above 9V ~ 12V power to tX-USBultra.

Refer back to my post about breaking out the tX-USBultra.  The sCLK-EX controls the voltage and you can manually change that yourself with dip switches.  SOtM can do that for you, but if you're comfortable opening it up you can do it yourself.  It's pretty easy really.  The jumper chart I provided in that post comes from the sCLK-EX instruction manual downloadable from their site.  If you haven't read that manual yet, it's very helpful.  There are two different board releases.