IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

hi guys, my first post in C.A...and my question is : i want to purchase the Roon license. my system is on build and i want to connect the endpoint in a lan bridge (with a dual lan card), so : what Roon i need ? Server, bridge, core ? once i purchase the license, can i swap the system software or i die with one ?

i question that because my renderer in fist instance will be a Allo USBridge lps and battery powered, then migrate to a nuc celeron with emmc or a Sonore mrendu. Thanks ! 

A question...here where i live, is hard to find a NUC Celeron (or insaneliy expensive -420 bucks, obscene-), so, this mobo Will work as endpoint with Audiolinux running from the RAM ? (With a little SSD for SO storage). Is a Celeron J1900 quadcore with a TPU of 10w. Maybe don't have the Intel Quality but...is a lot more cheaper. (There are some mini-itx even more cheaper, same processor). To make some idea, here a MicroRendu sells for 1000 dollars...

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, gsquared said:

First I want to give a big shoutout to @romaz, @austinpop, @lmitche and many other smart people who have contributed to this awesome thread. I have been here reading & taking notes since the very beginning and have implemented several of the recommendations along the way.

I have an issue that I hope some of you in the CA community might be able to help me narrow down and solve. I recently moved and just re-setup my system, but for some inexplicable reason, there is much less bass that I used to get before. I am using Spendor LS3/5As (same as before) and even though they only go down to about 90Hz, they still had impressive bass energy that I could feel in my previous home office. That is now gone.

I'm trying to narrow down what I should tackle first, so I don't have to completely reconfigure my system to match my old setup. I have a relatively small room to work with, so it makes changing things a PITA.

I run a separate Roon server and renderer, same DAC and speakers, but I've changed some things in the new house (yes I suffer from audio neurosis).

Here's what's changed in the new system:

1. I'm now using a Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L switch and copper ethernet cable for the network, instead of a MikroTik Fiber switch, fiber cable and FMCs. I haven't done anything to the Cisco in terms of configuration. I just plugged it in and started using it.
  2. I do NOT have a bridged network setup now, whereas previously I did. (Thanks again @romaz for the OP about the positive SQ impact this brings.)
  3. Roon server now runs on an Intel NUC instead of a sonicTransporter (original model).
  4. I am using Roon server + endpoint (Roon only), whereas previously I ran Roon + HQPlayer upsampled to DSD256. (Previously HQPlayer ran on my Mac Mini with Uptone Audio MMK DC conversion kit)

Everything else (for the most part) is the same as before.

For ethernet cables, I'm using Vandesail CAT8 cables because they were cheap and I need a few long runs to go from my Orbi satellite in my office to the Cisco switch.

My gut tells me it *might* be the copper vs fiber that is causing the loss of bass. I don't think going from HQPlayer to Roon could cause such a decrease in bass, but it might be. For now, I'm just going to start switching out the easy stuff to see if I can hear a change.

Anyone have any suggestions on what you think might be the primary culprit for the loss of bass - based on your experience?

I have the same situation with my Apogees Centaur Minor/Proceed BPA2 (they're wonderful speakers but bass-shy) when i go to the NIC endpoint : the case was more control and not less bass. The Definition on bass notes is now better than Ever, but without the bummy bass. Look on that...takes some time to adapt.

Cheers and enjoy !!

I question on original post subject : i Will buy a dual NIC m-pcie to bridge the server (a Celeron mini ITX with 1 LAN). So, i see an RL-Link with Intel i350am2 chipset but the tech sheet says "Now with the BRIDGELESS Technologies of the i350 controller..." What they says ? Can i build a bridge connection with this NIC card ? -i only have a free mini pci-e slot-

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...