IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 hours ago, flkin said:

They probably tested it but my problem was intermittent - my SOtA/Uptone stack would play for a few hours/minutes just fine then in mid-track, it would crash. Sometimes a complete reboot of all components would solve the problem, other times the stack simply wouldn't reboot. So it was difficult to figure out what happened.

Fortunately the stack was in a state of working when Kim connected into my system and he actually watched it start to disconnect with intermittent successful sMS-200 pings and then finally totally fail. He rooted into the sMS-200, did some checks in Eunhasu, had me reboot with clock cables disconnected (first 24M then both 24M and 25M) and kept an eye on the network pings. Eventually concluding it was a hardware issue.

There are probably many here that have the Trifecta set and it's not as if every other stack fails. So I just count myself unlucky. SOtM agreed to send me a new replacement immediately and not wait for me to return my unit first, that's pretty decent of them. Hope to have it before Christmas..

SOTM customer service/technical support is quite good and very responsive. I did have a similar experience and I thought I must have bee extremely unlucky as I did not see a similar report here.

I received my modded switch/sms-200/txUSBultra about 10 days back, now it is on its way to SOTM to be fixed. It would play redbook for about 40 minutes and higher sampling rates for progressively shorter duration before it would stop responding to pings. When I replaced the sms-200 with my microRendu (of course without any reclocking), everything would work without any issues . Then things started getting worse and sms-200 would stop responding after a few minutes, which made it easy to show the SOTM team when they did the team-viewer session. We came to a similar conclusion, something was broken in how the SMS-200 was reclocked.  But during the short spans when it was working, it sounded wonderful as many have already reported here. I was willing to accept the risk and the delay as this is a custom build, with the assumption that it will be resolved, just as I am willing to wait patiently for PH's  power supply...

I had asked for a SMS-200 as a loaner to make sure it was not my network and I was promptly shipped one and it has been working flawlessly.

• 1 month later...

@austinpop I have been following your informative posts and have a SOTM trifecta and waiting for my SR7. Sorry if you have answered this before, what is the clock cable you use with your Ref. Clock? I am looking at getting Mutec Ref clock. I use Habst with Blu2 now, but do not want to buy another pair for expense reasons.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

That is a good question. It's a very inexpensive $20 0.5m cable that Hasegawa-san at Cybershaft supplied with my OP-14. I've never actually looked at it closely. Note: it is a 50 Ω cable.

Thanks for the response, it is a pity that OP-14 is rare species or it would have been my first choice. Yes a 50 Ω cable limits the options indeed. I am not much of a DIY person and a pre-built cable is the only option for me. Could you  please share the link to the right post by  @seeteeyou I did not remember seeing  50 ohm options.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, John769 said:

Was that a NUC7i7DNHE?  I tried a MP slimrun to my NHE's (as endpoint) front and rear USB ports, with and without an Sbooster Vbus2 isolator. That was connected to a RME ADI2DAC with USPCB or regular cable, with and without a 2amp PSU connected to the MP. I tried reversing the female end of the MP to be near the endpoint, as reported by @ray-dude, using adapters. It didn't work in any configuration but often weird knocking noises were audible. The assumption is that the RME DAC and MP are not compatible.

Yes it is a NUC7i7DNHE in Akasa case running AL that Larry built for me. It worked both the front and back USB ports. If you are using USPCB, did you make sure the VBUS was on? some DACS require VBUS for initial handshake. 

2 minutes ago, John769 said:

not sure but it also didn't work with a regular cable with VBUS active. Did you cut the VBUS from your NUC USB output in order to achieve galvanic isolation (in conjunction with the LPS 1.2 powering the SL)?  

No I did not, my understanding was that by powering the MP SL, VBUS of the NUC is not longer being used

On 6/5/2020 at 5:28 PM, John769 said:

I think it is used, which is why Romaz disabled it via the jumper on his USB card.  And why I used the vbus 2 isolator into my NUC. Failing that, a USB A male to USB A female adapter, with the 5V pin broken might do the trick? You are happy with the sound anyway, so probably not worth sweating over.-)

Can you please refer me to that post? But you are also right, for the price I am already happy with the sonic benefit.